Habachi Grill

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

When I was young, habachis were the way to grill. Now most people have fancy propane grills but those fail to give you the true grilling flavor. My kids have been raised with a propane grill but we have been considering getting a real grill. A huge smoker is nothing I want to purchase. To keep costs low, I suggested a habachi. They didn’t know what it was.

Do any monkeys have a habachi or remember using one? I think these are handy little grills for people that have little outdoor space, small storage areas or want a small grill that uses charcoal. Please note in SHTF, grilling on an habachi is not OPSEC but for general every day use these little grills are handy.

Here is an article that truthfully the pros & cons of a Habachi.
    Is the Marsh Allen the Best Hibachi Grill to Buy? - Barbecue Grill Reviews & More.

2. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

I still have mine

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Used to grill on mine all the time when I lived in The Islands..... Great grills, especially when you use 100% mesquite lump charcoal and not that Kingsford stuff.

4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Remember them from the back porch in the apartment growing up. Almost every one I've seen recently is cheap junk unfortunately.

5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am really thinking about getting a cast iron one. They were great simple grills. The article linked that they are not the best for lugging around while camping but these are good small grills. Not sure why they went out of style.

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Hibachi weight, grill capacity, and coals disposal. A fad, I think, but sure were popular for a while.

Gator 45/70, GrayGhost and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Lodge makes a good one that had a oven to go with it

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Methinks the portable picnic table might not hold that puppy up.

10. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I was reading a review on Amazon and somebody actually complained that it would melt a plastic table... THIS is what happens when you ban Yard Darts (The tossing game, not @Yard Dart *) - certain people who were not destined to make it to adulthood get there anyway.

I think I'd look to garage and estate sales for one of the old ones rather than spend 40/50 bux on a new one I have to fix.

* You ban @Yard Dart to keep him from drinking all your beer.

11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I love my little Webber Smokey Joe, perfect size for two or three people, or one big guy and a full rack of ribs! The Egg BBQ has a small sized grill about the same size as the Smokey Joe, but it's big bucks! I like real hardwood char coal, most good hardware stores sell it, and the flavors are so much better!

12. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I got one of those Hibachis as a kid, I used to deliver papers in my younger days. We used to try and sell new subscriptions , and the paper company would have a list of prizes they would offer for the amount of subscriptions you sold . I picked the Hibachi one year , thought it was the coolest thing. My parents even used it a few times.

GrayGhost, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. duane

duane Monkey+++

There is charcoal and then there is Kingsford that was created by H Ford to make money on what other people thew away. Chared sawdust and waste wood, coal dust, flour or starch to hold it together, nitrates to control burn rate, limestone to give it a nice white ash, borax to make it release from the mold, waxes to make it easier to light, etc. It is a standardized product and every piece will be the same size, light the same way, give off the same amount of heat, etc The natural charcoal works very well, but it varies in shape, has dust, burns at different rates, imparts different flavors, does not store well, etc. Propane grills take the standardization to the next level and you have to add something else to impart a flavor. I like smokers for smoking and habachi's for grilling, personal choice and yours will vary. The LDS people used charcoal and what they called a volcano stove that folds down, is designed to use with a dutch oven, has vents to control the heat, etc. Designed to use for survival cooking outside the living space and to get maximum heat out of Kingsford type fuel that will store for generations and cook a full meal on 20 or so briquetts. As all of their tools, very well thought out, been in use for 20 or more years, and will burn wood etc like a rocket heater. It is almost like a portable, lighter weight, more efficient habachi and a survival tool that is well designed.

14. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I love the Weber 22 1/2" grill. It grills, smokes, does ribs, brisket, etc and can be had for $99 most places.

15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

[LMAO] I see you started the male grilling obsession early.

SB21, Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I love Habachis.
    Picnics on the shore of Lake Huron when camping with the parents.
    lighting it up on the front porch of my first house at 3am after my shift.

There is still one of them at the family lake camp. I can't even imagine how many hundreds of pounds of fish, burger and sausage has been charred on that thing.

Hell, the entire state of Michigan is freaking hibachi crazy!
    Most of the state parks and larger rest areas have a larger kin of a hibachi scattered though out the picnic areas. Yeah they are grills but in the 70s, we all called them habachis, that's just the way we rolled.

Alf60, Motomom34, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  17. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Still have one.

Light it up with the charcoal and then sprinkle mesquite chips on top before the grilling begins.

I don't miss much of Arizona - other than the Winter weather and the abundance of mesquite wood for BBQ!

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Not very neighborly sir.....:(

Ura-Ki likes this.
  19. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Just kidding my friend - now that I have my refrigerated beer safe you are welcome to stop by anytime for a cold one.

[​IMG]

20. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Life in the PNW!!!

1. JC Refuge
  2. DKR
  3. DKR
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid