Hacked webcams: Is your home next?

Discussion in 'Technical' started by sec_monkey, Nov 21, 2014.

1. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Webcams have always creeped me out a bit. I wouldn't have any but of course they are built in to every puter we have. I taped a piece of paper over all of them.

sec_monkey likes this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have a little baseball sticker over mine. [winkthumb]

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. sec_monkey

[winkthumb]

5. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

I've got a piece of electrical tape over mine when not in use(trying to get some footage of the animals doing weird/funny stuff). Am careful to try and do it in a non-revealing location too, where you can't see anything important/identifiable in the background.

stg58, ghrit and sec_monkey like this.
  6. sec_monkey

[applaud]

OPSEC :D

7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have a naked pick of.... my wiener...dog over the camera... Not really... but that would be pretty funny :D

8. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I am telling you, no one wants to hack my web camera, what is seen could never be unseen. Permanent damage. Hack at your own risk. Can't be held responsible for what you see:D

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

This whole issue is because most Folks have NO IDEA, how the technology they buy, and install, actually works... They just plug this stuff in, and it just works, SO they do NOT consider the UnIntended Consequences, of the use of such devices. I have a bunch of WebCams, that watch things around the AoO, and they are ALL accessible over the Internet. I choose to make them addressable, on very None-Standard Ports, and via VPN, thru my local Firewall, and Encrypted, end to end, from VERY specific Devices.

sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  10. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Similar setup here for our security cams, but there are very few times we require access over the web. If not needed, they are not accessible, as in physically unlinked from the net.

sec_monkey likes this.
  11. vonslob

vonslob Monkey++

I have a system that i have pieced together. I purchased these little b/w monitors and weather resistant cameras from walmart years ago. I think i paid 70.00 or 80.00 per. It is crude but they cover the three areas i consider important. I can see the monitors from my bed. I also have a baby monitor i put into the garage and can here what it up in there. I question the wisdom of having internet access of the security monitors in your home unless you really know what you are doing and i do not. My system is crude but it has proven itself and uses very little power and absolutely can not be hacked.

sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7