Had a prowler last night

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOG, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

He had some balls too. Last night my dog barked around 7:45PM and I looked out and saw a light coming down the hill at the side of my property. I got my shotgun and headed back to the living room. The plan was to head out the laundry room door on the other side of the house. As I neared the laundry room, a flashlight shone through the window on the door. I ducked back, waited a minute and let the dog out followed by me. I had the light on the gun lit but I couldn't find a thing. The dog didn't alert to anything either. That makes me wonder if they're known to my dog. Although she's a rescue that kind of teeters on the edge of a little nuts I'm pretty sure she'd bark or track. She's got a pretty good nose so I wonder.

I heard a V8 up on the road last night like it was waiting and then tonight I heard a similar or the same engine at the same spot at around 7:20PM, about the same time. There's no reason to be stopped up there. I'm on a dead end road off of a dead end road. Folks may get lost, but mostly it's just the neighbors or the gold miners from up the road.
    In Summer my place is invisible but in Winter it can be seen downhill from the road. I'm in a small ravine with a creek at the bottom. My place is on the only really flat spot and a lot of it was dug.

So I've been in Condition Crazy all day. I slept in a chair in the living room last night but I fell asleep at two AM and woke up around seven or so. Their possible return trip really pisses me off. It takes some cojones to shine a light into someone's home.

I'm thinking of adding another dog that will actually be a watch dog. I'm also going to put a pistol grip on the shotgun.

Anyway I thought it worth posting.

2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Not sure of your training or your tolerance to cold weather. But I would suggest, if you have heard the same thing at the same time at night... you set up an outpost nearby where you think they are setting up. If they come back...you have the tactical advantage. How you play it from there, is your choice. I would suggest some non-lethal entertainment to make them think you will escalate.
    Trip wires with flash bang are fun.... stuff hanging neck high in the trees to get hung up on... and so on. From here... PM me if you want some other ideas.... We do not condone hurting folks on the Monkey.....but we do have skilz. ;)

3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Tests the nerves.

Set some trip lines as an alarm... Dart beat me to it!!

4. Yard Dart

I would immediately set up trail cams, trip wires with either reporting sensors or can's to tell you someone is poking around. If you are at the end of the road... end it earlier. If there are others beyond you, set up a sensor to tell you someone is going up past your place to give you notice someone is in the AO.... like I said, there is things you can do. ;)

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Be careful, this freak might have a friend. Cameras, trip wires, encumbering obstacles like a series of grade stakes driven into the ground that would provide a trip hazard could be effective as a non-lethal mine field. I like entanglements like coils of garden hose, chunks of fire wood, old tires, you know... junk strewn about the yard making a swift departure difficult..

6. Yard Dart

I have a few rolls of barbed wire..... part of my close in tactical plan is to string that wire through out in grid patern+ to create #1 a trip wire for folks coming and going... and #2 making a hell a difficult egress once under fire, if you get close enough for us to engage.

7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Man, That's sort of creepy! I would do the night watch thing for an hour or so ether side of what you witnessed! chances are, some one is "Testing" you and your defenses, be mighty careful, sounds like more then one bugger! Might wanna switch to a Rifle from now on, and forget the mounted light, go to a hand held with a tap switch tail and use the F.B.I. drill with the light in your fore end hand! Beyond that, I go with Yard Dart and Dunerunner, and get creative with things! For cheep trip wires that last longer and are hard to detect I use 65 pound Green braided fishing line, as it can be run around multiple angles and is slick, it can also cut when pulled taut! Rattle cans, Mole blasters, and flood lights can add to your security! beyond that, you gotta ask specific questions, and probably better to take this "Off Line"

8. v0lcom13sn0w

v0lcom13sn0w Trunk Monkey

9. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm going to talk with my two neighbors about an early warning alarm for the turn off to our private road, that sounds like a great idea Dart, a person would have to be very familiar with my property to know where the ingress points are, and because I had to Bear proof the place, the only ways in would be two locked gates at night! I have very little under brush, and the areas outside the wire are pretty rough for foot travel, except for the snow times! I need to look at that a little closer!

10. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Technically,Yes! Best to confirm the threat, then act as needed!

11. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

This place is pretty well surrounded in thickets of blackberries, but they're fairly buried by snow right now and access can be had without too much inconvenience.
    I should say I have no training other than some defensive hand gun stuff so I need learnin' and soon. I find the shotgun a bit difficult to handle but I like the idea of the buck, slug, buck mix since it's a pucker factor issue and the pellet spread seems wise to me. Otherwise it's the AK which affords me more ammo and an ACOG. (I'm open to suggestions.
    I'm going to get some motion lights because there's no outside light on the uphill/road side of the house. I'm going to have to pick up a couple of game cameras and a driveway sensor as well.
    I'm alone here and it's impossible to be on alert 24/7, so I'm open to feedback and thank you for it.

BTW, I have barbed wire stored and had planned to use it as tanglefoot if SHTF. Maybe sooner would be better.

12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Did you happen to find "foreign foot prints?" when you and the dog went out? Check the tread pattern, and compare to the road, same size, and pattern? that ties in the parked rig, More then one set of tracks? Tells ya more then one tango, and also tells ya if they have a plan for dealing with your AO and you! One guy right, one left, ect........ people, no matter how good they think they are, always pick the road of easiest travel, so what Dart and the rest of us are sayin is to funnel them to a spot YOU control! What happens after is up to you! I think your on the right track with a better dog, but that needs to be considered as a personal choice, I would take the time and raise a pup, but that doesn't solve your problems RIGHT NOW! Old coils of Barbed wire anchored to the ground in places that funnel your prey to you are a good start, just don't make an escape for your self too difficult! Also, your doggy will need to be shown the wire and learn to stay away from it, vet bills get expensive when the doggy gets all F-ed up in the wire, I know this first hand! I'm a bit worried that they came at you with flash lights, and that they had to know you were home, that tells some important things! that they also know you have a dog that isn't bothered by them is also telling! Leaving a rig running is stupid, but also says they have a plan and possibly back up! Check the road and see if you can find any tracks that are not yours or a neighbors, can tell you if its a truck, or a car, whip out a tape and you can tell if it's an old full size, or a newer rig!

UncleMorgan, 3M-TA3, GOG and 5 others like this.
  13. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Have the neighbor block the road behind them if possibly, Then both of you go have a little talk with the goobers.

14. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

Uh....
    if you can hear the car running....
    They'll hear your warning shot.
    Nuff said.

15. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I understand the sleeping in chair, waiting, just waiting. I live in the country, very isolated, no neighbors, etc. About a month ago, I got home from the shop about 3:30 in the morning, parked int he driveway and went in thru the kitchen door. I heard scuffling noise coming from the other side of the house and thought, "damn, a squirrel must have gotten down the chimney." All of a sudden, somebody rushes out the front door, about 15 feet from there I was standing. I raced out but all I could see was a flashlight out toward the road. I yelled at the top of my lungs to get the (blank) out of my house you some of a (blank.) There were no cars or truck in the area and I presumed the guy turned off his flashlight and took off into the woods. I ran back into the house, grabbed my shotgun, dropped in a shell and fired a shot in the air, then took off in my truck in search of the piece of (blank). I first went in the direction opposite from the one I had come since I hadn't seen any vehicles from the direction I had come but after searching about a mile up the road, nothing, so I turned around and went in the other direction. Still nothing. Finally, I knew I wasn't going to find anything so I went back to the house, put a piece of plywood over the broken glass in the front door, locked up the house and called it a night. the next daym, I called the police to report the intruder but didn't say anything about the warning shot I fired. they had given me a load of crap the last time I had a break in and they saw my shotgun. this is the 4th break-in I've had through the years but the first time I actually encountered the intruder. Not a peaceful feeling.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You don't have trail cameras hidden long your road?
    The good thing about trail cameras is they don't get friendly towards anyone, they indiscriminately take puctures of everything that moves.

What I would do if I was on a dead end road is put one to take pictures of them coming and one for going. That way you are more likely to get a pic of their plate and their bed or trailer loaded with your shit leaving.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  17. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

the problem with trail and game cameras is they get stolen, destroyed, vandalised or disabled if they have not been secured and concealed

take that into account

the motion sensors sometimes fail to activate, activate too early or too late or activate too much and ya end up with 45,000 worthless pics on yer SD card

:)

18. Mountain mama

Mountain mama Monkey++

Would definitely set up some trail cams and listen to some of the other ideas. Definitely great advice. I am taking notes! We had a few incidences of people showing up on our trail cams hunting without permission.

19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@GOG did the dog only bark once? How was his behavior after? The prowler may have heard the dog bark and decided not to get closer. Scary incident.

20. Yard Dart

It also gives you a time stamp of when they are coming and going.... good intel to know. ;)

1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Seacowboys
  12. oil pan 4