Had a prowler last night

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOG, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

The dog really isn't much of a watch dog, but she goes around eighty pounds and is very protective of me so her behavior is puzzling. I looked for any kind of footprints, but the snow's been melting and I couldn't find anything. There were also no obvious tracks, human or vehicle where the vehicle was parked.
    If there's a next time I'm actually aware of, I'll definitely consider letting off a round or two if it seems appropriate.

I've been prepping for a fairly long time and part of the plan was buying this place a little over four years ago. The neighbors are friends and we're close but none of us is very "tactical". I've given home defense a lot of thought but now there's a lot more stuff to figure out.

I appreciate everyone's help and advice.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

If you tell the police exactly who, what where and when they juat might go and do their job.

3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Not much law and order out here. The county is broke, the Sheriff's Dept. mostly has one deputy on shift at a time for the entire county. The state police have to try and cover, but if things get bad you had better be prepared to take care of yourself.

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

In my AO if we had to get LEO Help, and he left, as soon as we called, it would be 1.5 hours, before he would arrive.... We ALWAYS deal with situations, as the First Responder, for Everything....

5. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

yep, when the clock is actually workin :lol: ;)

UncleMorgan, GOG, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Another idea, send up a flare as long as you won't burn down the entire state.
    Nothing makes the roachs scatter quite like when the lights are flipped on.

UncleMorgan, Gator 45/70, GOG and 4 others like this.
  7. sec_monkey

great idea @oil pan 4 :)

substitute real bright LEDs for flares and yer less likely to burn down the entire state :)

8. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

The downside with that, is the loss of tactical advantage... they will see where the flare is coming from.

UncleMorgan, GOG, Seepalaces and 2 others like this.
  9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I put in the incandescent equivalent of about 900 watts worth of LEDs.
    I just need to change out the last two 100w equivalent to 250 watts, which will make it an even 1,250w and the whole circuit will only draw about 200VA total.
    It does work but those 250w replacement LEDs are about $40 to $44 each.

10. sec_monkey

11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Thinking about this...maybe the guy used a flashlight to check the address on the house? I mean, it wasn't actually that late (19:45) and it wasn't like they were trying to hide as they had the flashlight out...but then many criminals are not the sharpest tools in the shed. But, next time make sure you grab your handgun also for backup as now you know someone might have been casing the place. I know what you mean because our home also is secluded and if anyone got inside they could kill us and no one would be the wiser. Also, it is legal to shoot on one's property so a gun shot is not any reason to get excited at least not during the day, at night might draw attention. I do like the bright light idea and might adopt that myself.

12. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Senor lighting is supposed to be a wise thing to have. Since you are in the sticks, critters are apt to set off the light most often or windy conditions but a big spot light flicking on will give prowlers a second thought.

Do you live near open space where people could be hiking at night? My son hikes at night quite often. They will park near open space and hike in.

GOG, Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  13. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

I'll be praying for you. I hate feeling unsafe.

UncleMorgan, GOG, Motomom34 and 2 others like this.
  14. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

@GOG If you need backup or a free perimeter security consultant, give me a call.

15. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Harbor freight sells a really good drive way alert.
    I bought several.
    transmitters are 300+ feet from the house where the receivers are.
    All battery powered and last several months of normal use.
    I also have battery powered motion sensor lights, inside and out . (all but the bed room)
    I don't figure its a good idea to be lighting up my self , while trying to find an intruder.
    Out side motion sensor lights are solar powered.
    they are worth the investment.

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

You could also refer to the person as a bogie aka an unknown contact.

Seepalaces, UncleMorgan, GOG and 2 others like this.
  17. sec_monkey

weapons free when the Bogey becomes a Bandit ;) so to speak

18. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Not sure of the Oregon laws.... but ensure you are staying legit when it comes to the Castle Law. Unless you are defending your home and in fear of attack.... shooting someone on the back 40 may not be covered. I know most of us think about this stuff, so I just wanted to throw it out there.

Years ago, a guy was pissed off at kids on the ATV's ripping through his field. He put up a wire across a gravel road entry to one of the fields to deter them. Two teenagers ran into the wire and the driver was decapitated. The farmer is sitting in jail for manslaughter.....

We had a guy here in WA a while ago (down the road from me) shoot a guy in the garage and his buddy in the yard, while trying to steal his car. The home owner was charged for negligent homicide and assault..... since he was in no danger and pursued the perp's. If I remember correctly, the charges were dropped.... but he went through hell for a bit until the prosecutor relented to the circumstances and public opinion.

19. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I sit in a flat spot in a small ravine with the creek at the bottom just beyond the house. The house is oriented to the creek with the back side/uphill side almost blind. It's private, but not remote with neighbors just near enough to remain good neighbors. :)

@Pax Mentis I'll be giving you a call.

20. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

I would prefer to become even older and more grumpy, so my basic instinct is for safety and survival not a gun fight.

edit in: It's private property here. It's not a place people hike. The river is half a mile away.

Terrain is relatively steep, brush, blackberry thickets, fir, oak, madrone, ferns, moss, poison oak and whatnot.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
  1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Seacowboys