Had a prowler last night

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GOG, Jan 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Please be safe, lots of good ideas.

Motomom34, Ura-Ki and GOG like this.
  2. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I have three little alarm bells..... and then of course two big chompers..... ;)
    [​IMG]

Diesel is half blood hound.... he will find you.
    [​IMG]

Lola loves football..... she tackles well. :)
    [​IMG]

4. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I don't have a lot of digital format pictures of our dogs; but two I do have are here:

Deeter ~
    [​IMG]

Rosie, The Riveter ~
    [​IMG]

We've kept: AKC registered Doberman Pinschers, UKC and AKC registered Pit Bulldogs, midsize AKC registered Dachshunds and smaller Rat Terriers. Haven't got any dogs, anymore; but I've loved living and working with 'um all! (There are, 'bark collars'; and you can train small dogs to be, not silent, but a lot quieter than they normally might be.)

I grew up in the home of a county sheriff who kept American Pitbull Terriers as police dogs; and I got into Dobermans and dog training in my late teens and early 20's. I never thought that I'd like to own a small dog; but, then, back in the early 2,000's I began reading FerFAL and realized that I was making a mistake. So I got my first Rat Terrier. He was a great little dog; and he did everything that FerFAL said he'd do. The smaller Dachshund, too.

During a home invasion back in 1990, my life and that of my wife were, more than likely, saved by two of our Pit Bulldogs; and I have nothing but very fond memories of my first red Doberman, and beautiful little Deeter was my constant companion. That little tyke would have died for me without hesitation and on command just like any of the bigger dogs! The small dogs, by the way, can also be trained to be excellent trackers.

One summer, and very late at night, I had our Dachshund alert on the sound of footsteps walking on thin gravel as far away as 35 or 40 yards! Shortly after dawn one morning back in the late 80's one of our Pit Bulldogs went to a bedroom window and let out a deep quiet growl. I didn't listen; I'd gotten in late and was tired. So I deliberately ignored him. I shouldn't have, though, because both of our vehicles were broken into and a lot of my, 'cool toys' were taken. That was a lesson to me! After that morning, and the damage that was done to our vehicles, I have always listened to our dogs!

Yeah, me too!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As far as I'm concerned when used both properly and intelligently, small carbines are the very best home/self-defense firearms on the planet! (Nothing else even comes close!) Each of the above are chambered in 5.56 x 45mm.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    Motomom34, Ganado, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  5. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Need to look for some pictures of our Greyhound. Problem is he was just about the flat dumbest animal I've ever owned. Nice enough but stupid as a frigging rock. People were scared of him though at 56 lbs.

Thing is, if he hurt you, I assure you it was an accident.

Had to put him down last Thanksgiving time...bone cancer.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
    GOG, Motomom34, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  6. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Thanks for the information, advice and the critique. I'm grateful and I appreciate your help. This is a great example of why this is my online home.

Motomom34, sec_monkey and Yard Dart like this.
  7. sarawolf

sarawolf Monkey+++

Here are our alarms as well. :) Sure hope you can do or get something to deter these folks coming onto your place so boldly.

IMG_1405.JPG

Ganado, Motomom34, sec_monkey and 3 others like this.
  8. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Motomom34, Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  9. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

One of the hardest things I have done is put down my/our dogs ! I'm crown Cross hand & long trained & used that in .MIL time , and not a weep , Crap , putting a member of so long kills me.
    on the smaller critter , having huge area , our dog now can take down deer on / in the house area , the fence on the border from house to critter area is her area to patrol ,,OUTSIDE NOT ! WE set huge rules so she is to guard 6 Ha and let the 50Ha outside be there !! NOT to leave the 6Ha ..
    The second dog Idea is a good / great point . I'll work on it ,
    This female hound /lab/healer is fast , smells ,killls , listens & 4YO , so it's time to get a second kid to learn from one who knows.
    We run a VERY tight dog system here. Got Critters that the dog in charge of !!
    Sloth

10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

DSCN4125.JPG
    This is his aggressive mode.

11. Mike

Mike Ol' Army Sergeant Monkey

Excellent rundown, Lone Gun. Well covered. I'm partial to infrared cameras and infrared lights for trail lighting and surveillance. Kind of a no-see-um thing but the pics are still good. Definitely not into laser lights or lights for my long guns, or hand guns for that matter. Never advertise where you are and they blow your night vision. Use them once, and then you can't see without them. Good luck with the prowler. Don't forget to post your property for no trespassing. If you're not posted and you have to shoot one, it sure makes it harder to defend yourself, although in Texas it's less of an issue. You can defend your property as well as a neighbors. All of these posts remind me why I like it here.

Ganado, GOG, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  12. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Another Break in last night. they broke a door window. I'm somebody's target and I don't like it. Try sleeping after you get home and find that someone has broken in. I've about reached the end of my rope with these intrusions into my life.

Ganado and sec_monkey like this.
  13. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

:( Safety first RH..... time to get a couple of new hounds to protect the manor!!!!

Ganado, sec_monkey and RightHand like this.
  14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Too many working hours? I agree, it's time for a watchdog and security camera(s).

sec_monkey, Yard Dart and RightHand like this.
  15. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Damn! I hate thieves.

sec_monkey and RightHand like this.
  16. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

My guess is they know better than to break in while your are there. Yep, cameras and dogs.

sec_monkey likes this.
  17. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Harbor Freight sells a good working drive way alert .It is wireless and good for over 300 feet .
    Usually I have one at each entrance to the property on different frequencies . They are motion sensor so there's no wire to trip .
    It makes no sound at the gate, but at the receiver at the house ,which is adjustable in volume.
    Or if you have a shop you spend a lot of time, a second unit on the same frequency's receiver can be placed .
    they run on 4 AA batteries and last for several months .
    The transmitter I have at the gate I put a tube in front of the IR to narrow the view, and the unit is hidden amongst the trees aimed across the road . A dog won't trip it but a person walking past will .

GOG and Yard Dart like this.
  18. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My one tip, after all these other good ones, is to get this event on official record. Make a detailed report to your local LE, so they know there is a history of some goblin targeting your property. Heaven forbid you have to actually peg the perp, they will know you've been having problems. Video cameras aren't that expensive, some have night/low light function, and are wireless. Get the goblin on camera if possible. If you can ID him, you've got him by the short hairs, and can possibly take legal action before having to give the coroner some business.

19. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

Actually he was charged and convict. This happened in my county. He lay in wait in an unoccupied house he owned and shot the guy as he ran to his truck so it was outside of statute.

oldawg likes this.
  1. Ganado
  2. HK_User
  3. Motomom34
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. BelBol
  7. Bishop
  8. Yard Dart
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Seacowboys