Ham anyone?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Wild Trapper, Feb 5, 2009.

1. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

I'm an Extra class operator, Volunteer Examiner, and instructor among other things. :)

2. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

I got my tech license and then maybe 6 months later I took general and extra and passed both. But all that means is I'm good at taking tests, not that I know what an Extra should know.

I have been dumpster diving for equipment and wire and such, but I haven't assembled any of it into anything yet. I have a grand total of one (unconfirmed) HF contact, and that was several years ago. I really need to get on the ball. I try to volunteer for a couple of the bigger events around here every year, and we have a big hamfest (the only one in the Memphis area) called "FreeFest" coming in April. The mother of all hamfests is Dayton OH.

If you haven't been to a hamfest you need to go. It's like a gun show, but for electronics. Aside from new and used radio equipment, of course, there are lots of guys just selling 'stuff'. I've bought a bunch of vintage books, an '80s Cubic transceiver, a modern Icom transceiver, the full set of Ten-Tec 2m and 6m transverters, a tripod, cables and wires, vintage and modern shortwave receivers, SWR meters, Morse code keys and paddles, an antenna analyzer... lot of stuff, and cheap.

Of course you don't have to be a ham to buy things, but really I recommend it just for the learning experience. If you like, most hamfests have testing for your license, and it may be a little cheaper than the regular meeting rate. Either way it's cheap, under $20 to take the test, and you can take all of them for just the one price if you want to try for more than one. BTW that money compensates the volunteer hams for their trouble; the FCC doesn't charge anything for your license, and it's good for 10 years, and renewal is free for the asking, no retest.

You do have some HF privileges even with a tech license.
    There is no morse code requirement any longer, for ANY class.
    Most modern HF ham transceivers are also good SWL general coverage receivers. You only need a license if you want to transmit, but you can still buy the transceiver and work on your license later; just use it to receive and you're legal.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Been an Advanced Operator for four decades, and can be found in the mornings on the Alaska Emergency Preparedness Net, 14292.0Khz @ 8:30 Am local, daily, and on 3933 Khz after 4 Pm local.... Receivers are on 24/7 in the Office, and I am usually in there 7Am to noon or so, and after 4 Pm, should anyone want to chat....

Bruce in alaska AL7AQ

I'll let alaskachick speak for herself....

4. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have the Military RTO liscense both AF and CAP ratings

5. Will-IB-Ready

Will-IB-Ready Monkey+

I'm definitely interested and would like to learn more.
    What kind of costs would a person be looking at to get a decent older (tube) setup?

6. BTPost

If you find the right "Old Fart" and he is getting out of the hobby, you can score a nice Drake or Heathkit for nothing.... I have given away a few older radios, that I no longer use, to newbies... Most Hams have at least one or two older radios sitting on their dusty shelves... Even an older solid state Radio can be had for a couple of hundred bucks. Antennas can be as simple as a long hunk of wire strung up from a couple of trees. A smart Prepper will have an older tube based radio, with a complete set of extra tubes, buried in a sealed box, out behind the barn. Buried to protect it from the SHTF EMP Pulse, and the tubes because they are not readily available, like 4 decades ago.....

7. Idahoser

I wouldn't even try to start with that. Get something more modern, and start learning. The impression I've gathered is that old tube stuff is not 'buy it, store it for a rainy day' stuff, it's a hobby. If you wanted to work your way toward using that old stuff regularly and wean off the transistors, that sounds like fun, but you can't buy that knowledge, you have to earn it. I too would like to get there, but I am barely progressing getting an operable station with more modern stuff.
    There are threads on ham forums talking about good starter radios, I found a good deal on an Icom 706MkIIg for example but there are many Yaesu and Kenwood and Ten-Tec and Icom rigs a decade or two old that make good starters. You don't have to have everything in your first rig. In the 80s there was a "WARC" conference that gave us access to several new bands, but radios older than that don't work on those bands. THAT'S OKAY, for a starter rig, just use what you do have and move up later. The hard part isn't the radio, those are pretty easy to find relatively cheap. The hard part is choosing and setting up antenna systems. You could start with a resonant dipole for a single band (whatever you have room for- 20m will fit anywhere that you can access the outside of the building) for example. So, now, you can use 20m, who cares if your old radio can't get 17m?

8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Has long wave died out? All I've seen recently is high frequency stuff that wants line of sight or repeaters. Methinks depending on repeaters would not be a good thing if TS really hits.

9. Idahoser

shortwave and high frequency both mean the same thing, and it covers 200m to 10m thereabout, and it allows worldwide propogation on some band or other depending on conditions. AM broadcast radio uses medium wave, and can be long distance at night. VHF/UHF are line of sight/repeater/satellite, with some special ability to DX using moonbounce, meteor scatter, etc.

I don't know about longwave, but I read about some of their antenna setups- the word "miles" was used... :oops:

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

That would be VLF that the Navy used (and may still for all I know.) Power eating beasts of xmitters.

11. BTPost

Navy VLF Transmitter for the Pacific is located at Jim Creek, Washington. The Antenna is strung between two Mountain Tops, across a valley, with the Transmitter on the valley floor. Service is done with the Techs, walking around inside the Transmitter. Final Tank Circuit is made from Silver Plated Copper Buss, 8 or 10 inches thick.

12. JaxShooter

JaxShooter Monkey+

There is a lot of HF activity out there (not to be confused with VHF/UHF which is LOS). I talk all around the world on a simple piece of wire running in the backyard on about 25W.

I do agree that relying on repeaters for shtf is foolhardy.

13. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

14. donald150

donald150 Monkey+

I have been thinking about getting into this for a couple of weeks now.

I have a friend locally that I used to Shoot with every week and he has had Ham radios for years.

I think it is time to pick his brain on the subject.

15. Idahoser

there certainly is a lot of brain-picking to learn from, but I just want you to know that you can get your license with very little knowledge or effort, just to get a callsign. Then the learning starts for real.

ARRL.org of course is our premier national organization and their site is very helpful. They sell books if you really want to understand. But to just take the test, I used the practice tests and printed the question pools online.

There is no morse code requirement anymore.

16. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

If you are serious about it, the ARRL website or qrz.com is also good. I got my ticket after studying the practice test online at the qrz site. I also bought the ARRL books for getting the license to learn the reasons behind the right answers. I was not new to electronics, but there is very little you have to know about electronics to get the license.

My first test was actually free, there are some clubs that are allowed to give the test free and some charge around $15. The license is good for 10 years, so the deal is hard to beat. Good luck.

17. Idahoser

The question pools are public. There's a couple of places to get them in different formats. The ARRL (or maybe it's the FCC, I'm not sure who the actual source is) creates the questions and answers, and makes them available in the official listing, but other people arrange them into (perhaps) more useful formats... one, for example, shows the question with only the correct answer, in sentence format... that may be helpful to you, maybe not. Another is not particularly 'rearranged'; simply formatted to print in booklet format. That exact book can be bought already printed for maybe $12.
    Question Pools
    http://www.kb6nu.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/2010_Tech_Study_Guide.pdf
    Study Guides this one offers a more complex 'system' with flash cards and such.

All of that stuff is available free on the internet just for the googling. Use what makes you most comfortable. The result, though, leads you here-- and the way I did it, I bypassed all the guides and stuff above and prepared mostly by just taking practice exams until I was passing them regularly. I do not plan to be an ignorant ham, I just got the order a little out of the normal- getting the license first, then learning what I'm supposed to know.

Practice exams
    AA9PW FCC Exam Practice » Amateur Radio Exam Practice
    QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests
    eHam.net Ham Radio Practice Exams
    all of these sites give practice exams. Just answer the questions. I realize you don't know the answers. The point is, after you've taken the practice exams a few times you WILL suddenly start recognizing which answer is correct. You don't have to understand why, you just have to remember which answer is right.
    Beware that on the practice exams at a particular site, you will get used to... for example... Answer "B" will be the right answer on a particular question, every time. But when you take the real exam, the answer will be identical, but it won't necessarily be "B".

The FCC issues the license, for free. It's good for 10 years. When it approaches expiration, you simply apply to renew it, for free, no new exam or anything.

The $15 or so payment you make to take the test is not a gov't fee, you're paying to help defray the cost to the local hams who give you the exams. If you move up to their level you may be able to help give the exams yourself.

You are allowed to take as many tests for the one fee as you can pass. So if you take Technician and pass it, you are allowed right there in the same session to try the General exam. Go ahead and take it, it costs nothing extra and you get to see the test. Don't pressure yourself that you need to pass it, just take it because it's free. You might get lucky. If you pass that one, you can try Extra. Same deal.

When you pass the Technician exam and get your first callsign, it will be two letters-single digit-three letters. Like, KJ4ABU for example. Some of the parts do have meaning, for example the part before the number will be in a list of prefixes for the US. The 4 means southeast region. All callsigns in this country fit this pattern, with one or two letters as a prefix, then the single digit for the region of the country, then one to three letters after the digit.

You can apply for a vanity callsign, if it's not in use by somebody else, but there are rules depending on your class. The shorter callsigns, such as a single letter before or after the number, you need to be the appropriate class that's authorized to use that type of callsign. You can't get J4US for example as a technician, even if it's not in use and it was your dad's callsign. You'll have to make Extra before they'll let you get that as a vanity callsign. There is a fee, and it's recently changed, but it's not outrageous... gone up from $12 to maybe $50 neighborhood I guess.

18. Lord Bodak

Lord Bodak Monkey+

I've been thinking about getting my license for years, and I think maybe it's time I get serious about it and do it.

So, what sort of equipment does everyone recommend for a new ham? I've seen Survivalblog talk about it once or twice, but the top of the line recommendations are probably a bit more than I want to spend at the beginning.

19. BTPost

Ham Radio can be as expensive, or as cheap as you want it to be.... Most every Ham I know has at least two or three radios gathering dust on their shelves. Many will give them away to a guy just starting out. Antennas you can build from just a hunk of wire, Power from a Car Battery, and charger. Get a License and see what you can scrounge, and when you get on the air, give me a Blast, anytime.... and Welcome to the Monkey...

20. Idahoser

I wouldn't go put money into stuff you're not sure what it does or what you want to do with it. Go to some club meetings, see presentations, talk to people, see what they have. Hams love to show off their radios.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7