Ham anyone?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Wild Trapper, Feb 5, 2009.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Looks like a good place to start, with a Tech License.... Then when you get a General License you still have some money for a good HF Radio for the Long distance stuff....

2. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

Both of my radios are made by Yaesu. One is the VX-170 HT the other is an FT-897D powered by a Yaesu FP-1023 power suppy. The HT was my first radio and only does 2m, but is really were almost all the local repeaters are on... The only experience I have with any other brands is just what friend in the club have. I have been eyeballing that Icom D-Star mobile, but just haven't been able to do much for the last few months due to A-C separation in my right shoulder. On the mend now. I hope!

3. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Good Morning Gent's

Anything new from our group? Hows your shoulder Trapper?
    Just ordered General Lic, book and CD from ARRL, decided to go for tech and gen at the same time, based on input from yall. Stay in touch.

Dunbar[yack]

4. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Ham Tests

The stress is over!!
    Missed one on the tech test and Ac'ed the general.[beer]
    Now its time to buy Radios, Thanks for the help gent's. I'll be on the air in two or three weeks. Looking forward to talking with You.

B

BTPost likes this.
  5. BTPost

That is GREAT Dunbar, Congrats, on all the hard work, and getting your ticket for the Ham Comms Ride. when you get on HF, give me a blast on 14292.0Khz USB... The radio is on from 8 Am local (Alaska time), to 4 Pm local, and then I move to 3920 Khz, or 3933 Khz till 10Pm local.

BTPost (AL7AQ) alaskachick (KL7WJ)

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

[beer] Congrats on the results. Mine were the same, except I took one and then went back and took the other. Yeah, now for radios, $$$ :D

7. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

Thanks guy's now the hunt for equip.

Stay in touch

B [boozingbuddies]

8. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

now that you have a callsign you can sign up for echolink and operate online. I was in a hurry to get my initial license just so I could start listening there. Also there are HF receivers online you can listen to.

You don't have to wait for your paper license to find out what your callsign is. search your name at
    http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls
    it can be there a couple days after you test, I believe, though mine took a week. Several places your paperwork can sit in an inbox.
    Congrats!

9. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

[alien]Hey Ham Monkeys;
    Got my call Today KF7OMP, Bought two National NC-88 Tube radios. Going to use them to get ant. setup, plus thier a good backup for dx rec. They cover 10-80 Meter and they are alot of fun. they remind me of the 50's B grade monster movies.

Stay in touch

Wild Trapper and BTPost like this.
  10. BH784

BH784 Monkey+

Well, welcome to "the gang" I've been a Ham since 1992 and last July I upgraded to Amateur Extra (I still can't believe it)! Never stop learning and use QRZ free online testing for practice and you can go all the way to the top.

Alex N8UCN

Wild Trapper and Dunbar like this.
  11. BTPost

Well, Dunbar. Did you get a chance to get on the Air, this weekend, during the "Contest".... Lots of folks around to give you feedback, on your signal.... Inquiring Minds want to know....

12. Dunbar

Dunbar Monkey++

malware

Hey BT;

Got hit last night with major Malware- vista security. So, short anwser No.
    Took me 4 hours to figure out what was going on.

I can only receive at this point. I've got to pay for Gen Set and transfer switch, then Ant. and Transceiver.

Thanks for checking in

B

PS. check out this software

www.sandboxie.com

13. IrishMonk

IrishMonk Monkey+

I have a RCI 2970n2 radio. Cost 449.00... ( another 150.00 for 50 amp power supply... )
    10 meter
    11 meter ( CB )
    12 meter
    cw
    SSB
    200 watts outta the box... easily puts out 300 watts. ( in comparison, most hand held hams are about 5 watts )
    So my point is for the cost of a good gun you can get a radio that does it all... and better than most. I can communicate w/ppl around the world with it. AND its mobile, although I use it at the house.
    BUT... I suggest that if you cannot afford a ham radio, just get a good CB radio with SSB. With SSB ( single side band ) you can communicate hundreds of miles, even thousands. Cost for one of these is about 200 bucks...

14. Idahoser

Idahoser Monkey+++ Founding Member

hmmm... I'm not familiar with that model but it makes me think of the illegally modified ham rigs that were made to work on CB, that will get you in trouble. You normally are limited to the neighborhood of 25 miles on CB, but that may be only if you're using the legal 4 watts? I'm not sure.

In any case a 'real' ham transceiver will be able to use 160 meters probably, and certainly 80m, 40m, 20m, 15m, and 10m, to cover the 'traditional' HF spectrum. It would be illegal to use on 11m even if it was physically capable, of course. Anything made since the early '80s should also be able to use the WARC bands added in the '80s of 12m, 17m, 30m, and 60m (I believe 60m was added even later than the '80s so there are a lot of WARC-capable rigs that don't do 60m)

Many few-year-old used rigs such as the wildly popular Icom 706MkIIg can do all of those HF bands (even 60 with a modification) and for only a little more money than that RCI mentioned - and also can do 6m, 2m, and 70cm in the VHF and UHF bands. A little older 706MkII (no 'g') is a little cheaper and doesn't have the UHF 70cm capability, but otherwise a fine rig for starts that will last you for a good long time before you 'hanker' for something better. A lot of folks don't especially like the idea of including the UHF and VHF into a HF transciever, and I don't mind it being there but I don't especially want it there either, so a HF (maybe including 6m) only is just great.

So, just to reiterate, I'd be real careful with anything that claims to include the 11m CB band, there's trouble to be found there.

15. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member