Ham anyone?

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Wild Trapper, Feb 5, 2009.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

There "MAY" be a lot time between NOW, today, and when there is NOT a Government, that cares about folks that break it's Laws. All I am saying is, we do have Laws and Regulations, NOW, and we also have many folks that think it is just fine to ignore, those Laws and Regulations, as if they are somehow different, and those same Laws and Regulations, do NOT apply to them, as long as they do NOT get caught. To "Me" that is the height of hypocrisy, and arrogance, to hold such views, and act on them. These particular Laws, and Regulations were put in place for Good, Sound, Technical Reasons. If one wants to be involved in the RF Communications field, they can use the legal, non-Licensed, Radio Services, or pay their Dues, and get Licensed, and use the Licensed Radio Services. To do otherwise, shows a lack of Personal Integrity, in my view.... HOWEVER, as with ALL I post, that is just my Personal View, and YMMV......

and a side note here: Should ANY Monkey decide that getting Licensed for ANY Radio Service is something that they are interested in doing, I have considerable expertise in this area, and would be more than willing to help them thru, the REQUIRED FCC Paperwork to submit such applications for Licensing. Just PM "Me" or come find me on FlashChat, when I am online, there.....

Hispeedal2 likes this.
  2. IrishMonk

IrishMonk Monkey+

I agree... Don't break any laws unless those laws are a violation of your God given rights. Then, break the S*** out of them... and those that impose them on you.

3. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

I would not want to lock this thread down or have a mod remove it because of fringe activities being suggested. I rather hope that even in the worst of times, we stand behind the laws of our government because they are what makes our government work. I could share in great detail what happens in situations, where people think it is okay to ignore law and order, but I won't. I urge anyone thinking otherwise to really sit back and rethink what they post on a public forum with regard to illegal activities. Just because a society may break down, doesn't mean we as individuals should lower ourselves to react as animals, which by the way, sometimes obey their own set of rules better than some humans.

Thank you all for understanding my position in these matters. Carry on!

BTPost likes this.
  4. IrishMonk

IrishMonk Monkey+

I do apologize... I'm new here. So, to be clear, it is the opinion of survival monkey's that when [shtf]and survival is at stake one should suffer the pains of death rather than, say, run a trotline in a place that would otherwise be illegal under normal circumstances... or boost the wattage on a CB radio to be able to reach out for help ? To commit these "crimes" in a time of emergency indicates a lack of integrity in said criminal ?
    Got it... Understood, and I will refrain from such talk aswell as take a moral invintory of myself for such thoughts ever entering my mind.

I do have one last question though... after reading this :
    I could'nt help but notice your signature, which includes the phrase "Molon Labe", which means "come and take them".
    Seems your obedience to the government has it's limits aswell, no ?

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Perhaps a bit of clarification is in order. The "Site Rules" (sometimes called the Code of Conduct or CoC) can be found at the top of the main page. Key item for this discussion is item 4. In part that says that promoting, advocating or condoning illegal activities will result in a smackdown. It's one thing (for example) to talk about how to set traps and snares or other legal (in any given jurisdiction) activities, and yet another to put up a recipe for meth or how to modify a radio to operate where it isn't supposed to be operated. (It's pretty obvious how to fish with explosives, no need to tell how to do it. Things like jug lines are in the same category.)

"Molon Labe" is for when dot gov treads into areas where they are prohibited by existing rights, it does not advocate disobedience by citizens. It is our only real counter to excessive government intrusion.

In my opinion, if/when the government collapses, all bets are off. Knowing what can be done and being able to carry it off will make the difference between becoming vulture fodder or making it thru to the other side. Even then, some discipline will be needed in areas (such as the airwaves) to avoid buggering it up for others. That's what we are about here at SM, preparing for events beyond our direct control.

Wild Trapper and BTPost like this.
  6. IrishMonk

IrishMonk Monkey+

Understood... Smackdown recieved !

7. ghrit

June 25-26: Amateur Radio Service is putting on its annual "Field Day" to end the Annual Amateur Radio Week sponsored by the ARRL. Look around your area to find hams set up in shopping centers ready to show off the capabilities of amateur radios. For those in and around the Endless Mountains, there will be a set up in Montrose, Susquehanna County.

Wherever you are, you might be able to connect with BTPost in Alaska. (If he posts up his call sign or waits for a CQDX to his area.)

8. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would normally be on 20 meters ALL Day and night that weekend.... HOWEVER I leave Friday the 24th @ Noon for an extended Road Trip down to the FlatLands..... and will not be back home till the 28th of July..... I do plan on trying to have Face Meets, with some of my Monkey Friends, as Momma and I, travel the Highways, and ByWays of the Western Half of the Country. I will have 4Ea. of the i355 iDen/ISM phones, on the Monkey Ch. 5 Spreading Code 5, as well as, 2ea.2 meter Handhelds, for local Comms, but no HF capability, as my baggage cost enough already. I will have my iPad2 with AT&T 3G Data Service, to keep up, and make Data Meets here on the Monkey, when possible, as well as Mommas iPhone4, and "Our" MacBook. Just Let'en folks know our plans..... YMMV....

Oh, and the Ham Call for BTPost is AL7AQ, and for AlaskaChick, (Momma) KL7WJ......

9. Sumex

Sumex Monkey+

Hello guys,

A Shortwave tranceiver (a multiband one ) is a very helpful tool for serious situations.
    If you have a C.B radio, you have a part of the H.F band only. That minimises the possibility to reach other parts and parties according distance, weather, time of say, sun, clouds e.t.c
    But if you have a multiband radio (and relative antennas of course) you can choose and try different bands to see what is passing through to reach your goal.

Also you can possibly get converters to transform a single bander to a multibander.
    Check for this solution too. I know for sure there are converters for the 6m band and 40m band
    and i think for other bands too.

So , for who they can, get a multiband radio AND install or pack the PROPER antennas (dont just use a tuner) . Good ideas are wire antennas that you can make yourself pack easy. Study the antennas and how they work and what they demand for that.
    The misc types of antennas do NOT work the same way. You NEED to know their radiation diagram to be sure you transmit-recieve the correct angle and polarisation.

VHF and UHF are limited to straight line contact , it is a good add on to have, but
    not only them. But you can cover big distances with a minor power if you have eye contact between antennas.

Just my ideas

Sumex

10. mwatson

mwatson Monkey+

congrats on license

Good start on good comm's. Cell towers will be the first to go. You will learn as you grow with ham radio lot's of small tips to help you. I have been radioing for a long time...W5FJ

11. ghrit

Bump for those interested in ham radio, but haven't discovered this thread. Old, yes, but there's relevant info.

BTPost likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7