HAM Operator: I'm So New....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by TXKajun, Jun 8, 2014.

1. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

That I haven't even received my call sign! Just passed my Tech exam yesterday (Saturday, 6/7/14). :) Squeeked by, then tried the General, what the heck it was free, but bombed that one big time. Gotta get me a decent study guide. :)

Kajun

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Congrats, TX. Keep an eye on the FCC website, as soon as it's posted there, you can go live. There's something in the Tech manual about how to do that with your call.

Well done.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Well done, indeed. I too am a tech, but did not try for general yet. The study guide I am using is a free phone app. Same app was used for the tech level, and it worked fine there. "Ham radio study"

chelloveck likes this.
  4. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Outstanding and congratulations! Welcome to a while new world of spending money.

chelloveck and ghrit like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Welcome to the Monkey Ham Community.... @TXKajun Let us know when your CallSign is released... Lots to learn, and lots of Help around these parts.....

chelloveck likes this.
  6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

I'm just bustin' out proud! LOLOL

Kajun

chelloveck and KAS like this.
  7. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Congrats!! Maybe they will give you Tango, Xray, Kilo, Juliet!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 9, 2014
    chelloveck likes this.
  8. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Just checked and my call sign, effective today, June 13, 2014 (Lucky Friday the 13th, right?? LOL) is [redacted]! I'm official! WOOHOOOOO!!!

Kajun

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2014
    chelloveck likes this.
  9. kellory

Not a good idea to broadcast that. I suggest you contact @BTPost by pm.

10. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Congratulations!

11. ghrit

Congrats, Kaj. What gear do you have so far?

12. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Thanks to whoever redacted my call sign. Big OOPS on my part. :( I still have a looooooonggg way to go. I'm using a little Baofeng UV-5A now with a better antenna than the one that came on it. kellory, I'm going to take your advice.

Kajun

chelloveck likes this.
  13. kellory

You are welcome. I'm using a baofeng 3r, myself. (Even smaller than yours)
    Just getting started myself. ;)

chelloveck likes this.
  14. DarkLight

Have both a Wouxun KG-UVD1P and a Baofeng BF-F9 (which I still haven't programmed yet). Use the Wouxun both as a portable and in the car with an external antenna and a remote mic. I've got a Kenwood TS-430s for HF (General/Extra frequencies) but my antenna just doesn't seem to cut it. I can listen but nobody seems to hear me...

I have GOT to move, buy some property with some LAND attached to it and set up a decent antenna...

Edit - This got me motivated to actually program my Baofeng. It just mirrors my Wouxun but now I have a backup radio that I can actually use.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
    kellory likes this.
  15. ghrit

@DarkLight What have you got for an HF antenna?

16. DarkLight

MFJ-1625 MFJ Enterprises Inc.

It's a compromise antenna and ultimately I need to either put it outside when I use it (with a real counterpoise/ground plane) or I need to do something in the attic. The thing about the attic is that the wife really doesn't want cables run outside and I don't want to deal with getting the cable down through the wall.

17. BTPost

If you have access to the attic, and decide to do a Permanent Installation, you just might consider this approach, that I used on my first Cabin, in Alaska. I took a 2" Dia. 2' Pipe and welded a flat Plate to it, that could be bolted thru one of the Roof Trusses, and allowed the 2' Pipe to stick up thru the Peak of the Roof. I had Steel Roofing, so that was then bonded together for the RF GroundPlane with RG8U Coax Braid. If you do not have a Steel Roof, then you string your CounterPoise Wires from the Plate, to all the corners of the house, in the Attic. As many wires as you can, and staple them to the underside of the Rafters to keep them out of the way. Kids are great for this job, if you can hire them for a couple of hours, and they usually work cheap. I had a 5BTV Vertical, mounted on my pipe, and with a good Tuner, was able to work all the HF Ham Bands, fairly well. I still have the 5BTV on my Present Cabin, and am using the Steel Roofing for the RF Ground, just not centered on the peak of the Roof. http://www.99850.net/Images/House.JPG
    It is the one labeled Ham HF....

18. DarkLight

Unfortunately that's a no go in my HOA.

Please, for the love of all that is marginally holy, don't get me started on the HOA. I know...I KNOW! I gotta get outta here but the wife just informed me that we aren't moving until we are looking to downsize (so that's at least 6 years until the second child goes to college).

AmericanRedoubt1776 likes this.
  19. White Tiger

White Tiger Monkey

I'm new hear myself - but always find it encouraging to see new ham's - congratulations!

chelloveck likes this.
  20. BTPost

Welcome to the Monkey Tree, @White Tiger ... From your post it would seem that you are a Ham.... Maybe you could introduce Yourself to the rest of the Monkey Hams....We are always looking for fellow RadioMen.... Bruce in Alaska (BTPost) AL7AQ (Yes, I understand that I posted my CallSign, but I live so far out in the bush, it doesn't make a difference to Momma and I.....) ....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7