Hammock Straps

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Jul 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Nut-n-fancy here,I use a dog chain

Thunder5Ranch and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Dont forget your poncho can be used as a hammock cover, to keep rain and dew off of you.
    We always used bungle cords because they were flexible to attach to various lengths of attachment, quick to set up, even in the dark... and quite as well....if needed.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Don't forget Carabiners, they are super duper slick and handy for rigging stuff, and they work very well for tensioning things like hammocks, rain flies, and other shelter or covers!

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

@Motomom34 Naw, they have no stretch in them at all. All we did was double it over, and pass it trough itself around the tree, then tie a knot wherever we wanted to clip the hammock on. Works great.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Also a hammock makes a good hunting blind I made mine from camo parachute material wide enough for two people I set up on the edge of cut Downs in the hard wood hammock and set up where nothing can come in on my right hand side I shoot off of the left hand side it works very well and your comfortable the whole time.

Gator 45/70, Ura-Ki and Motomom34 like this.
  6. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Well, definitely don't use paracord unless you want to kill the tree...

Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I've noticed that too...crazy!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. cpaspr

cpaspr Monkey+++

Fun? For whom? And there will be hell to pay when she catches them later.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

We just used Air bags and PSP...

There are some cheap straps available for hanging kids swings in trees if you don't want ratchet straps the set I have came with 2 250lb lockable carabiners... from AMAZON...

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I never realized that hammocks hurt trees until I was researching straps. Some of the articles I read were very pro-tree. I want to make sure I don't end up with a "save the tree" protest going on in the middle of my camp site.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and Bandit99 like this.
  11. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

LOL! Yeah, that would spoil the peace and quiet for sure. LOL! But, I know you don't want to hurt the tree either, especially if it is a nice one with lots of years under its bark. I like trees. I grew up in the Pacific Northwest (Seattle) prior to the Microsoft era and made my living in the logging/forest industry before and during university, trees kept me fed and sheltered, even educated. I never thought I would miss trees but after all the years in the dry, dusty and dirty places of the world I realized how special those green places are to me so...yeah, I like trees. I couldn't/wouldn't return to Seattle or even Washington but trees are the reason I came to Northern Idaho...And, even though I bitch about all the work they cost me trees are keeping me warm during the winter as I haven't paid a penny for heat these past two years. Yep! Sounds a bit whacko, I know, but I love trees, their smell, color, how they sound when rain hit them or how they look covered with snow and I know they could kill me or shelter and keep me warm so I respect them. Yeah, I know, "Whacko!" LOL!

Motomom34, Blue, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  12. Blue

Blue Monkey

Maybe I missed it but what are you using this hammock for? Is it just hanging in your yard, or are you going to be backpacking with it? Do the straps need to be lightweight and compact, or just strong?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I will be going camping. So the straps need to have the ability for varied lengths. The lighter weight the better because they will be in my backpack.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I use climbing cord. Low stretch high strength.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

What you say Pard-nahh !!!

Hanzo likes this.
  1. A Cricket
  2. H.I.S Survival
  3. Bishop
  4. Seacowboys
  5. Jeff Brackett
  6. Castiel
  7. Dubs Chops