Hand Loading and the real world of supply and DEMAND

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by HK_User, Dec 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Now that we have again experienced loss of the dollars purchase power in a demanding market and the empty shelves in Obummerville, it is a good time to study up on the alternates we have in "Rolling Our Own"

Try this for a way to bypass the empty shelves, I know, I know no reason to bypass something that is empty.

Corbin Home Page

Dream On.

VisuTrac and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have plenty of primers/propellant that I bought five years ago, I had purchased over $5,000.00 dollars worth of primers/propellant/bullets/factory rounds back before the prices went through the roof. Most of the 22lr I have bought were bought from Walmart back in the late 90's when you could get a brick of Winchester white box of 22's for $3.99 each. We will never see those days again.

3. HK_User

Of late I have been shooting some Federal 22 LR from the 70s. There is the occasional misfire which, if you are teaching others, will show up a flinch or poor control. This way it gets used and even the MFs have a purpose.

4. fedorthedog

fedorthedog Monkey+++

I gotta get more powder and primers only have a few thousand

5. HK_User

Time to add Dirks and Hog Spears

6. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

While Dave Corbin is a stand up guy and very helpful, why post his web site? They make s waging equipment, which is cold forming bullets, and while that is useful, it is also expensive, especially if you want to make various diameters and weights of bullets. Sure in the days to come that might be a good after the crash business, but right now I favor buying ammo, all ammo, any ammo, and cases, powder and primers and casting equipment which is both portable and reasonable cheap.

7. HK_User

"While Dave Corbin is a stand up guy and very helpful, why post his web site?"
    It's information others may not have and may not know about.​
    People die and often good gear of this type goes to the trash or junk yard because of it's special use and it will unless the Neebies get a handle on what is used, other than standard hot melt and C press.​
    Because I noticed and knew what I saw I was recently given a super high capacity H Press. A man's dad had died and he was going to chuck it in the trash.​
    Information is the name of the game, and I wonder why you had to use the disclaimer above, all it lacked was, BUT why post his web site?"

CATO and oldawg like this.
  8. Legion489

Hmmm....I used "Why was it here?" because the post is called HAND LOADING AND REAL WORLD OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND. OK, so where is the supply and demand, real world or otherwise? Why not list the title as CORBIN, or SWAGGING, or SPECIALIZED RELOADING EQUIPMENT? The title has little, well, OK, nothing to do with the contents, and when asked you fly off the handle. Very professional I must say.

You mention loss of purchasing power and that is a fact, but swagging equipment is very expensive and you still need copper jackets and lead cores, or just lead for lead bullets. You will also need cases, powder, primers, none of which can be made at home, or at least easily or safely. Personally i would buy the most needed items first and then worry about the other specialized stuff later, or at the very least put a header on that would give the reader an idea of what the post was about. When people ask simple, polite questions, they generally only get vicious attacks because the writer is in the wrong and wants to cover that fact up, not because the writer knows what the writer is talking about and is trying to explain.

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

EZ does it, your post is taking things further off the topic you want to return to. Pointless.

CATO and HK_User like this.
  10. HK_User

HAND LOADING AND REAL WORLD OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND

Corbin Products can be used to turn scrap .22 brass into real world high velocity cladding aka jacketed boolits.

Please address any other questions to me via Forum Email.

Thank you

CATO likes this.
  11. Legion489

Actually the .22 rimfire jackets can only be fired at about 2200 fps max, otherwise the jacket "explodes" (vaporizes) in the air from spinning too fast. 1800 fps and up to about 2000 is a more realistic speed with these bullets as they can and will still vaporize at these speeds as well, just not as often. Any one who has done this will tell you the same thing, it's no great secret.

As I said, these dies, presses and other needed items are not cheap, and if you want to make bullets of size other than .22/6mm with .22 rimfire cases, the prices start to go up at a startling speed (no pun intended). To make other swagged bullets, such as lead bullets of any size, you will need lead core molds or lead wire (not cheap), core cutters, and dies (NOT cheap) and a press (not a pot metal one either, an actual swagging press is best). To make jacketed bullets of any other size, you will need all of the above plus a swagging press (NOT cheap!), dies (three die set at least, NOT cheap), commercial bullet jackets or copper tubing in the proper sizes (not cheap either), there are also various other minor needed items if you get into it deeper than a simple post can cover.

I still haven't to an answer to why the thread was called HAND LOADING AND THE REAL WORLD OF SUPPLY AND DEMAND and not CORBIN, SWAGGING or some other topic closer to the actual subject which was my original question.

12. HK_User

Like I said address any other questions to me on the Forum Email.

CLEAR?

13. Legion489

I'm sorry, what question were you referring to? I hadn't realized I asked one. When I read the quoted post all I see are statements of fact. Also I note that the "reply" to the facts I pointed out was sent to the thread and not my forum email.

All I said was nothing about swagging is cheap, although it is fairly straight forward to do and would be a good after the collapse business if there is the money needed to buy the rather expensive equipment and supplies now. The swagged .22 rimfire cased bullets are cheap to make once you have all the needed equipment, but the equipment isn't cheap to buy and the bullet velocity needs to be kept fairly low. If there is a problem with the above listed facts I would be happy to hear what it is, but so far I have not be argumentative and have only posted facts, so I fail to see what the problem is or why I am being harassed for telling the truth here.

14. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thus endeth what might have been an interesting thread.

CATO likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7