Handheld radio recommendation, please

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Hanzo, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo everyone for the input. Keep it coming while I do my homework.

The other issue is getting the monkeys to do it. Another test?!?

Asia-Off-Grid and sec_monkey like this.
  2. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

You will figure out a way...

monkey_stick.

... unless they turn on you.

Dont, Dunerunner, Hanzo and 3 others like this.
  3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

[LMAO]

monkey down

4. duane

duane Monkey+++

Good one Paul, reminds us that while we may be talking radios, life continues and has a bad habit of sneaking up on us and it has a much bigger stick than that monkey. Very interested in the short range radio, we bought a pair of cheap ones, are they good for anything over 500 or so feet, no, but we find them invaluable around the place. At 80, just being able to ask wife to bring something or to answer her questions about something while in greenhouse or woods makes it worth while. Never let the search for the perfect prevent you from using the useful now.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

@Hanzo
    The ARRL website is a pure T nuisance to navigate, but EVERYTHING you need to know for licensure is there. Here's the page to start with.
    Getting Licensed
    The license manual is very useful for initial study, and there's no doubt in my military mind that you can find one from a local ham or the library. While the question pool changes, the manual content changes are minimal, the same material is there. (Given the huge challenge of the testing, a manual change won't cripple your score greatly.) There are scads of on line practice tests; I can't vouch for any of them, I didn't use them,but I did take a class for the Tech ticket. This is NOT rocket science by any means, my guess is that the puppy could earn a ticket with a bit of coaching. NB, the Tech license is a license to learn as well a toe dipping in the hobby on air.

Also, it's worth the observation that guys with 40 years of experience have acquired gear that will overwhelm you with complexity if you let it. My handheld has all that I used under normal circumstances as a tech, and before I got a mobile unit installed in the vehicle, it served there as well. You DO need to know if there are any repeaters that you can count on, tho' they may be subject to outages, so your "group" needs to plan around that.

FRS may be a good short haul choice for the family, but I'd still get hammy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  6. Call the ARRL or go to the web site and ask for the closest HAM club. 1-800-326-3942. Or www.arrl.org/newham. Our club has a member licensed when she was 8 yo. She is now studying code.

Hanzo and sec_monkey like this.
  7. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The license requires a small amount of study and memorization. Not trivial, but not close to hard either. Getting the Monkeys to pass the exam isn't the hard part, it's ensuring that they follow proper protocols when using amateur radios that may be the challenge if you go that route.

I know you are looking for reasonable economy, but considering your environment and how wet and windy things can get you may want to look into water resistant radios. My first HAM radio was a Yaesu VX-6R since my get home plan at that time involved crossing major and one large river (possibly requiring a semi submerged float), not to mention we get a fair amount of rain at times and this line of handhelds is submersible. Obviously would still be using extra precautions for water protection.

There are now knockoffs of these radios that appear to have been made on the same assembly lines in China, but so far have stuck with the brands that put the R&D money to develop the systems. HAM companies are having a tough time as it is without having their IP stolen.

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  8. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My next one will be a TYT MD-2017. It is a dual band plus DMR handheld. Getting licensed is something I preach constantly as being one of the necessary items to prepping. It just opens so many new lines of communication. Hawaii has repeaters that will extend the range all over the islands, and has DMR repeaters that will reach the entire world. You can also program simplex channels for personal use and have them digital to keep most people from eavesdropping.

Dunerunner, Hanzo and ghrit like this.
  9. BenP

BenP Monkey++

The Baofeng UV-5R is the AK47 of radio land, we use them on our farm extensively and we can get 2-5 miles of range depending on terrain. There are much better options out there but the Baofeng is cheap, reliable and works well. I think the next step up are the TYT DMR radios, they support encrypted digital communications which are much more difficult to intercept/track. You can get a GMRS license from the FCC to operate them at higher power on the GMRS frequencies just by paying the FCC $50 but it is probably not necessary unless you are a natural rule follower.

Tempstar and sec_monkey like this.
  10. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The frustration I had with my family was that I was the only one wiling to listen to the radio while doing other things. I had friends that are hams as well and that pays a big part of it.
    If the family has no other friends that are hams it is hard to get them interested in using the radio unless all they use it for is getting ahold of you . Chances are you won't be able to get ahold of them because they won't listen to others chatter.
    One prerequisite to my purchases is having battery packs that will use AA batteries that way in the event it is an extended situation you can turn to conventional batteries in stead . And or have a battery pack you can plug into for the duration.

3M-TA3 and sec_monkey like this.
  11. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I used CTCSS tones so we don't hear anyone else on the GMRS frequency. I usually can't get them to carry one but I keep one on the kitchen counter so if they are inside they will hear it and I keep one in my truck and my phone has one built into it. That keeps us covered 90% of the time, I would like to mount one in my wife's car but she isn't having it. :)

sec_monkey likes this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I would suggest that if you are using a BETTER QUALITY Radio that has DCS (Digital Coded Squelch) that you use that instead of Tone Squelch... Many more codes available to select from, and works about 95% as good as Tone Squelch... Also not near as many users will be using DCS..

sec_monkey likes this.
  1. Qwertyportne
  2. DKR
  3. William Warren
  4. JA40
  5. Tully Mars
  6. sdr
  7. ED GEiN
  8. Southbound
  9. bumpshadow
  10. hitchcock4
  11. DKR