Hang'em High Tomatoes

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by chelloveck, Oct 25, 2023.

1. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

A different vertical growing method for tomatoes. This technique would also be suitable for some other sprawling fruits and vegetables too.

This method may also work with balconies, letting gravity do the work. This technique may enable to grow things in spaces that are under or not utilised at all. The area around the base of the pole could be utilised by plantings which will benefit form the runoff water from the growing pot.

An alternative to hand watering might be installation of a micro-irrigation setup.

It might be worth installing the grow-pot in such a way that it can be easily demounted for maintenance, replacing growing medium etc.

Painting the pots white or a light pastel colour will help reduce overheating of the growing medium...as might incorporating companion plantings of basil, chives, mint, nasturtium, borage, parsley, by providing a soil cover and overhanging the pot.

Gator 45/70 and Kamp Krap like this.
  2. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

I used to train them tall in the high tunnel. Now days I just zip tie them to cattle panels and prune them a bit.

Gator 45/70 and chelloveck like this.
  3. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

Used to be hanging (upside down) tomato bags that you could buy. Can't remember the brand name of them, off the top of my head, but you can find cloth bags that will do the same thing (and are re-usable too), on Amazon. The biggest issue I've seen with those, is the limited space for a root ball.
    I've also seen people use 5 gallon buckets to grow tomatoes upside down. The only thing to remember, when doing that, is to protect the stem of the plant. A piece of foam rubber (maybe a piece of a "pool noodle" would do well?) should keep the stem from being cut by the edge of the hole in the bottom of the bucket. This is a good method for "determinate" tomatoes.
    For indeterminate (grape or cherry) tomatoes, you can utilize the method shown in the video. They really don't care where you grow them, or where the vine grows, though keeping it up off the ground will make it easier to keep them healthy.

chelloveck likes this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Agreed. The advantage of draping the stems over the side of the bucket is to keep the fruit and leaves clear of the water / fertilizer which will feed them (drained through the hole in the centre bottom of the bucket), to reduce leaf moulds / mildews / black spot and other diseases. Plant hygiene is important. How to Identify and Treat Common Tomato Diseases | Gardener’s Path

SB21 and natshare like this.
  5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

This gives me an idea to try for next year. I may try the project out and post picks later. I might show pics easier than explaining it in words.

Thanks for the kick in the ass Chello ,,

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7