Hanzo!!! Kilauea's Erupting (discussion thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SB21, May 4, 2018.

1. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

So what have you planned to do if things get worse ?

Hanzo likes this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Me, I plan on watching the spectacle with a cold adult beverage in my hand. Hopefully from a distance with the wind at my back.

But, that is only if the Ring of Fire becomes active....

sec_monkey and Hanzo like this.
  3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hint: "The Ring of Fire" is ALWAYS active....

sec_monkey, Hanzo and Dunerunner like this.
  4. Dunerunner

I meant the whole thing going off... I have somewhat of a ring side seat! :rolleyes:

Rainier, Hood, St. Helens, Jefferson, Sisters, Shasta

[​IMG]

sec_monkey, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Saying it's an expected geological event not just a volcano eruption

6. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Nope. Possible, but not likely. No mega tsunami to end the world just yet, unfortunately. Maybe a small chunk, but nothing incredible.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Hopefully with advanced communications, those potentially in the wake of the tsunami will have a chance to do something about it.

Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  8. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Tsunami run at about 500 or so mph, takes as long to cross the ocean as a commercial jet. Plus, they follow the inverse square law when it comes to intensity. (Radio comms are faster, maybe even faster than brain waves, certainly faster than mine.) The problem comes when the wave gets into relatively shallow waters. Conventional "wisdom" says that Kilauea can't affect California or AK anyway, so CNN will scream that the sky is falling, then whimper.

Dunerunner, Hanzo, sec_monkey and 2 others like this.
  9. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It is difficult for me to get my head around the speed a tsunami can travel.

Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  10. Brokor

Fill up the bath tub about half way. Take a board, basket, or something flat that will fit most of the width and stand or press down quickly. Of course, be very careful not to fall or slip and hurt yourself. The water should press away at a rapid pace without slowing until it hits the opposite side.

The main concern with a Tsunami is usually not those living on a distant coastline, but those within early reach and those locally who often must deal with the accompanying seismic activity. Also, when such a large chunk of island does slip off, it will push water away from the main island which precipitated the slide, and what goes out will come back with a vengeance. This is just the basics of a tsunami, I am no expert, but I am confident enough to say that Hawaii is too far away for any of its activity to significantly harm the Western seaboard of the U.S. directly, would pose a minor threat to the Marshall Islands and thereabouts if the tsunami were directed there (which it isn't due to the facing side of Kilauea), next would be Mexico and that's about 2,000 miles or more across open ocean with crossing currents. The most damage I have surmised to take place would be caused due to volcanic ash in the atmosphere, and much of that's dependent upon wind patterns, but could ultimately affect much of the world as would any major eruption. But, the locals of the Hawaiian islands would not fare well in any large event.

A lot of the stuff we see from media sources is pure fear and chicken little rhetoric based on worse case "what if" and sometimes completely fallacious garble.

Dunerunner, Hanzo and ghrit like this.
  11. Dunerunner

It's getting dangerous and some folks just don't know not to piss on the electric fence...

Hawaii volcano activity prompts new threats as man seriously injured from lava spatter

A man was seriously injured when he was hit with lava spatter while standing on his third-floor balcony — the first known injury related to Hawaii’s Kilauea volcano eruptions as new volcanic activity creates new threats in surrounding neighborhoods.
    The homeowner on Noni Farms Road in Pahoa was hit with lava on the shin and taken to the hospital with serious injuries, Janet Snyder, spokeswoman for the Office of the Mayor, told Reuters.
    "It hit him on the shin, and shattered everything from there down on his leg," Snyder said, adding that the lava spatter could weigh “as much as a refrigerator.”

“And even small pieces of spatter can kill,” she said.

Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  12. Dunerunner

The impact on residents is heartbreaking... Hawaii lava evacuees grow weary as uncertainty drags on - Breitbart

PAHOA, Hawaii (AP) — Ed Arends grabbed what he could in the night and fled his 5-acre property, lava oozing from a crack in his neighborhood on Hawaii’s Big Island.
    That was more than two weeks ago. He hasn’t been able to stay at his house since.
    “It’s disconcerting not being home, being displaced,” Arends said. “I’m sleeping on a sofa in a guy’s living room.”

It’s not known whether lava flows will keep advancing or stop, and new flows are likely.
    Steve Clapper stood in the rain outside a shelter where he and his mother have been staying since evacuating Leilani Estates. He sleeps in his truck with his dogs while his mother sleeps inside the shelter.
    The uncertainty has made Clapper want to get his 88-year-old mother, who has dementia and is on oxygen, off the island.
    “We don’t have any control over it, and this could go on for years,” he said.
    Don Waguespack, who co-owns Cajun Paradise Farms down a hill from where fissures have opened, evacuated to a small hotel room on the opposite side of the island.
    “We evacuated to Kona and felt so helpless over there, I think it was worse mentally for us than being here,” he said.
    So Waguespack returned, relieved to find his home on his 10-acre property still standing.
    Arends and his brother Mike Arends, who also evacuated from Leilani Estates, were grateful their houses were still safe.
    “It’s pretty early to tell what’s going to happen, things change on almost a daily basis,” Ed Arends said.
    Yet living out of bags, not knowing where your toothbrush might be at a given moment, is tiring and stressful for the brothers.
    “It’s easy to go two or three days with it, but I think after two weeks, it grates on you a little bit,” Mike Arends said. “You start to get weaker, you start to get more tired, you’re not quite sleeping right, you’re not eating right.”

Motomom34 and Hanzo like this.
  13. Byte

Byte Monkey+++

Yeah it's harder for me when things are dragging on. Sure an instant disaster can be incredibly devastating in loss of life and property but it happens and then it's over. The grieving and cleanup begin. To watch this drag on knowing there's nothing to be done is just heart wrenching. I will say though that seeing it unfold and knowing it's coming does greatly reduce the potential loss of life and I guess that, in itself, has to be some consolation.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Hanzo like this.
  14. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Volcanic ash is a funny thing - the way the winds blows it around

[​IMG]
    Mt Saint Helens, the most recent ashfall to affect the CONUS. We see the oddball dusting of OK.

Moses Lake (home of the former SAC base, Larson AFB) got hit pretty hard.
    [​IMG]

While Spokane, just up the road got far less
    [​IMG]

Nasty stuff, I had to shovell off a runway or two here in Anchorage, when Nt Spurr popped off. I hope @Hanzo is spared this...

15. Brokor

Yes, the volcanic ash can cut off breathing and muck everything up. At least it's not radioactive, though. [booze]

Dunerunner, Gator 45/70 and Hanzo like this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Aloha guys and gals. Bear and I are ok. Mahalo!

Many earthquakes, nothing too severe for us. No tsunamis. But lots of vog. Vog has become a way of life, unfortunately. Much like smog in California.

The volcano has been erupting non-stop for 30+ years. And periodically, lava will destroy a bunch of land. That would be the risk of living on an active volcano. The Big Island is the young island. That's why the mountains are so tall and the land mass so big. It hasn't gone through millions of years of erosion yet, like the older islands. The older islands have also moved off the Pacific hotspot.

Because the Pacific Plate moves so slow, the Big Island will be over the hotspot for a while more. So for you investors out there, more beach front property? ;) Think it moves something like 32 miles per million years. So you have time.

I do keep the folks more directly affected in my thoughts and prayers though. Sucks to move. Sucks more to have to because of something like that.

techsar, Motomom34, Brokor and 5 others like this.
  17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hope Gabe (@H.I.S Survival) is doing ok. Having seen him posting in a while.

Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and sec_monkey like this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @DKR. Me too. We have been getting Vog for decades. Don't want ash nor acid rain!!

19. Brokor

On the brighter side, it was pretty cool taking a brush-up lesson to refresh my memory about the Hawaiian Island chain. It's amazing how it's smack dab at the middle of the Pacific plate with this much activity, because most volcanic activity is along faults (the weak areas and breaks in the plates). The idea here is that the weak point in the upper mantle provides something much like a cavity for a lava lamp, known as a volcanic hotspot, and over time as the islands move with the plates, these deposits settle as the dormant islands they become, while new islands are formed, like the mainland of Hawaii. It's theorized that a very large blob could essentially erupt, and I gander it's probably between the time the active island breaks away and magma is erupting out onto the ocean floor making its plume before it establishes a firm new island that this may happen.

Like Hanzo said, in human terms it's millions of years between for these things to happen, but it would be pretty cool (and terrible at the same time) to actually witness a new island being formed. I imagine the seismic activity to be rather brutal during the main stages of this process, let alone the lava eruptions. In Google Earth satellite view, we can follow the deposits and track the plate movements and see the chain of deposits forming an underwater mountain range all the way up from Siberia. It's pretty cool, actually.

Plate loss gave chain of Pacific islands and seamounts a bend

Hanzo and Ganado like this.
  20. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

And Brokor wins the "Understatement of the thread" award. [LMAO]

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7