Hanzo!!! Kilauea's Erupting (discussion thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SB21, May 4, 2018.

1. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Not really an understatement if you think about it. What I am talking about is something humans have never seen or recorded to have seen.

Think about this a moment. The active region is on the SE side of the island and recent fissure lines suggest a clear boundary at this point. In my own estimation (for what it's worth), the only thing keeping the main island from breaking away from the hotspot are two things: 1. the obvious fact it's connected to the plate, so only a strong sudden jolt would make it break away, and 2. a steady amount of lava flowing from the volcano which continues to add support.

Hawaii-volcano-Kilauea-fissures-MAPPED-1341671.
    The question for study would be to see if the past decade or so has created enough mass to hold the island to the hotspot if indeed the Pacific Plate were to pull away abruptly (albeit in small, gradual bits like usual). I don't know if this means it's precariously close to creating a situation where we could see this, but like I said, it would garner close, in-depth study.
    Hawaii-volcano-Kilauea-fissures-MAPPED-1341682.

The location of Kilauea is situated in a place where, given the movement of the Pacific Plate (NW) the mass of the island is on the furthest side of the hotspot leading away.
    lava-and-toxic-gas-spew-from-new-fissures-after-kilauea-volcano-eruption-in-hawaii.

If there is a big earthquake to shake loose the southern flank, it's possible a large rift and potentially, a separate island may be formed. The Hilina Slump could potentially wipe out Honolulu in the wake of a tsunami, but I doubt mainland coasts would have to worry. This is assuming any of that even happens, of course.

I hypothesize that Hawaii is in the end of its formation stage, but my guess isn't exactly something to rely upon. I would check into professional studies to draw a conclusion. We may not even see anything like this in our lifetimes, either. It could be another million years for all we know.

SB21, Motomom34, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Oh yeah. Picking up pace now. If they get a big earthquake, might be rough.
    A new island might be fascinating to witness, but if the people don't get clear...not so much.

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  3. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

The burning Methane (blue flame) is rare and absolutely awesome!! Aside the damage and human suffering due to this eruption, this is a very dramatic display of the power of nature.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I am glad that people are continuing to watch this. It is an amazing thing that is happening but I also think the people of Hawaii need to be prepared and have plans, evacuation to higher ground. When the military moved in helicopters for quick evacuation, to me that was a sign that the shelf may fall. If that happens, it puts the lives of the people on surrounding islands in danger.

Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  6. DKR

26 homes destroyed, 2K evacuated

[​IMG]
    locals are stepping in to assist the evacuees.

Gator 45/70, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

He said the military is planning to bomb to divert the lava. They have high hopes because IMO nature is in charge of this.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  9. DKR

Before you laugh, the AAC did do this on HI - twice
    Failed both times.

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and Motomom34 like this.
  10. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

So why not try a third time. There is a fault line near there.

Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  11. Dunerunner

They could just get all the politicians in Congress to fly in and blow on the lava flow. But, then; that might just make things hotter... :rolleyes:

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  12. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

While thy're blowing THEN you drop the bombs. As many as needed. Then a few more .......just because!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

I deeply apologize for derailing this thread.. The Lava Must Flow!!

[​IMG]

Gator 45/70 and oldawg like this.
  14. DKR

From this
    [​IMG]

to this
    [​IMG]
    Donated materials
    Donated Labor (Union carpenters and HI Nat Guard heavy equipment & Gensets)
    nice to see things being handled locally - more or less.. These 20 mini-shelters are on an 8 acre lot owned by a local "church".
    (Edit to Ad) the Church is the Sacred Heart Church. I gotta give credit where it is due)

Odd that this never hit the MSM...

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  15. DKR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Found some morw photos of the work in progress.

and when done
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I'm really fascinated by this volcano, as the magma retreats where does it go? we know some of it goes into the ocean, but there doesn't seem to be enough volume to counter act how much the magma has retreated.

Hawaii is like a centerpoint for a long chain of eruptions in the middle of the pacific rim of volcanos

Seems to be some pressure building around the Rim

18. DKR

(redacted - posted in wrong thread)

(blush) soory

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Motomom34 likes this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have been reading reports that the hilina slump won’t happen. Those reports seemed to come out after posts like Brokor’s surfaced. Tsunamis have happened in the past because geology tells us so. I believe in not panicking the public but to say it won’t happen is leaving people unprepared.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. DKR

All part of what should be an ongoing Hazard Analysis for folks. Once hazards have been identified, mitigation measure can be put in place, followed by Response, Revery and Restoration plans.

An UltraSuperMega tsunami causes by the Slump could happen because it has happened. Put another way, it is possible, but not probable. Why? This hazard is measured in geological time.

Flash flooding, house fires and car wreaks all may happen many times a month, and are worth the time and effort to have some mitigation measures in place. That and some decent insurance.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7