Hanzo!!! Kilauea's Erupting (discussion thread)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SB21, May 4, 2018.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Very briefly and for visualization purposes, not particularly precise scientifically:
    Magma rises thru the volcano chimney and slowly raises the dome within the crater. (Crater was formed sometime in the long ago past by a violent expulsion of whatever accumulated before then.)
    As the dome increases, pressure in the crater goes up until it bursts thru the weak spots in the side of the cone, until, well, we see the results. I have not done so, but a nickle says that the open fissures lie along a line of sorts, a weak strata somewhat loosely compared to an earthquake type fault. As the magma runs out, the dome that covered it just caves in.
    Where it all goes, well, it builds up on the sides of the cone, there are any number of pix on line that show some of the depth. Some of the escaped flow is cooler than the rest and settles out and cools more. The hotter flows just run like water until cooled by whatever it hits, That it's the sea water just happens to be where gravity took the fluid.

Gator 45/70 and Brokor like this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Measured by geological time. That makes me think of the phrase 100 year flood. These floods do not happen every 100 years on the dot so why not probable? Reading article like this: Last Catastrophic Landslide Protects Kilauea From Next says it will happen but no prediction of time when. It seems that a large earthquake could cause it to happen.
    Agreed but as We saw with the reaction to the false missile notification, some do not take warnings seriously. I think those people shoving their child into a manhole was a spontaneous reaction, not a well thought-out plan. I am hoping local news is flooding the people there with preparedness notifications and tips.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

A "100 year' flood can happen back to back. The term is a bastardization by the FedGov of a statistical 'factor'

In the 1960's, the United States government decided to use the 1-percent annual exceedance probability (AEP) flood as the basis for the National Flood Insurance Program. The 1-percent AEP flood was thought to be a fair balance between protecting the public and overly stringent regulation. Because the 1-percent AEP flood has a 1 in 100 chance of being equaled or exceeded in any 1 year, and it has an average recurrence interval of 100 years, it often is referred to as the "100-year flood".

So, in the vein of my earlier statement, floods happen.
    Do floods happen in your area? (think TX or LA).
    Are you in a flood plain?
    Has your area (that you define as your hazard area) had a flood?
    How long ago? Any special circumstances - like a hurricane in the area.

These should drive your mitigation efforts. I set time frames from my Hazard analysis work. under one year, within the last 5 years and finally, is there any historic evidence of an event. Others may take a shorter or longer view.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Yeah, it's very fascinating. For as much as I've digested on the subject, I am still in awe at the power of this planet, it's incalculable. Scientists still haven't figured out everything, there's much about the inner core and mantle that still remains a mystery, but they do have a pretty good idea how it all basically works based on the geological evidence found all over. I find it interesting how the minerals found in past lava flows and eruptions can give an idea on how it may have happened and where the magma came from. We know there's subduction zones on the ocean floor, and with this in mind they can draw some conclusions. The sea water will also leave clues, and the amount of silica in the lava as well, giving us an idea as to where the subduction occurred. Scientists have also discovered numerous vents on the ocean floor, because it just makes sense. The Hawaiian islands were formed by a hotspot, and as the Pacific Plate moves, the hotspot in the crust/mantle continues to do its work, spewing out magma from relatively the same point. This can be seen from Google Earth, as the chain of activity leads all the way back up to Siberia. The volume of magma is a continuous affair, as the Earth is constantly drawing in and exhaling its outer surface in an incredibly powerful symphony of fire.

One fact I also find interesting is the explosive reaction between water and heated magma inside the Earth. When we have subduction on the sea floor, the water is also drawn in. Also, fracking and oil drilling can add to seismic activity despite the objection to it happening from USGS and other corporate ventures. When waste water is pumped back into the earth, sometimes miles beneath the surface, this causes pressure and the heated water makes steam, and we all know that something has to give. There are tens of thousands of oil wells and many more fracking locations all over, and seismicity has increased greatly in areas where this occurs.

And yes, there is an active drilling operation that was ongoing in Hawaii, I've been checking into it. Not that nature needs any help with this very active hotspot to start with, but it is still a fact. I believe Israel may be tied to the ownership of the operation. There's no need to put on a tinfoil hat with this one, there's plenty of non-corporate, private scientific research and studies out there (also from Canada) which allows us to determine how fracking and oil drilling waste water deposits may cause some seismic problems, and at the very least it can set off a chain reaction. When you set off the pressure on certain points in the Earth's crust, all that energy has to go somewhere. The reverberations and tremors lead to pops and leaps, and a subduction area could jolt forward, leading to increased pressure forcing outward, creating more release of tension in the crust, and tectonic plates shift abruptly, taking everything on the surface for a ride. And that's not the end, either. This energy is always transferred, it is not wholly absorbed and destroyed. Pressure builds up along fracture lines, and new boundaries are set. Sometimes they hold for a while, maybe a thousand years, and sometimes they degrade rapidly or place increased pressure on the opposite side of an ocean, which starts the whole process over again. We're seeing volcanoes erupting that have been dormant for hundreds and even thousands of years. I'm not saying it's entirely oil drilling and fracking to blame, but I'd be willing to bet dollars to donuts it plays a part.

Ganado likes this.
  5. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Lava flowing up to 15 mph. Incredible.

6. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I agree @Brokor you can shove all that water I. The earthwithout it burping

7. DKR

Update 24 June

Explosion shakes Kilauea’s summit
    An explosive collapse at the summit of Kilauea Volcano sent a plume of steam nearly 2,000 feet into the air late Saturday afternoon.

The collapse, which produced the energy equivalent of a magnitude-5.3 earthquake, followed several hours of increasing earthquake activity in the summit area, according to the Hawaiian Volcano Observatory. A similar collapse occurred on Friday evening, also producing roughly the same amount of energy.

Meanwhile, the eruption at Kilauea volcano’s lower East Rift Zone continued mostly unabated Saturday with lava from fissure 8 feeding the open channel to the ocean at Kapoho.

According to the HVO, lava entered the sea on the southern side of the entry area, mostly through the open channel but also along a 1-kilometer-wide area.

Things are not getting any better....

Ganado, Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I saw this posted on another site. The amount of earthquakes that are taking place makes me wonder if we will see another explosion.

Hawaii, Hawaii has had: (M1.5 or greater)

• 690 earthquakes in the past 24 hours
    • 4,501 earthquakes in the past 7 days
    • 13,371 earthquakes in the past 30 days
    • 18,252 earthquakes in the past 365 days
    • Today's Earthquakes in Hawaii, Hawaii

Dunerunner and Ganado like this.
  9. DKR

Update

1:51 p.m.

Hawaiian Volcanoes Observatory reports a collapse/explosive event with energy equal to a 5.3 magnitude earthquake has occurred at Halemaumau Crater at 1:20 PM.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center reports there is no Tsunami Threat to the Island of Hawaii.

This is the volcanic crater to the other side of Kilauea volcano’s cone.

More update info at:
    The Latest: Kilauea Eruption Update

10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Thanx, DKR. Funny, isn't it, how the volcano is taking a back seat to mad maxie's ravings?

Gator 45/70, Dunerunner and 44044 like this.
  11. Brokor

Many people see these eruptions as a bad thing when it's actually very good, not to mention normal. If the lava wasn't actively making its way to the ocean and all the pressure built up, new pockets would form until it found a weak point. The new weak point would then form a new series of channels and with the right conditions, such as a large eruption and subsequent earthquake, a new island could be formed. But, as long as it's flowing, it will continue to build the main island. The only exception would be if there's a massive quake in the realm of 8+ that could potentially shift the plate enough so the hotspot was no longer over the bulk of Hawaii and then the same result would occur, a new island.

Our puny lifespan is nothing compared to the majesty of Earth's building, but it would be fascinating to behold the making of a new Hawaiian island, even if we'd only get to see a small fraction of its process.

12. DKR

UPDATE

another collapse, more lava flowing and

a new island is being formed...

Motomom34 and Dunerunner like this.
  13. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That is amazing,,,,Mother Earth at her finest,,,,,do they know how many homes have been lost ? Has anyone died as a result of this ??

Motomom34 likes this.
  14. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

It seems that there is going to be another issue fallowing the eruption with all this material escaping the earth's depths is, what happens when the earth settles where the magma came from ?

SB21 likes this.
  15. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I didn't think of that. Will that happen? This magma is coming from way down past some layers that I would assume to be stable. That is quite the question @arleigh

16. DKR

Dunerunner likes this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

It will calm down a little then ramp up more than before. Probably haven't seen the worst of it yet as far as eruptions and earthquakes.

18. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've wondered the same thing,,,,will we have massive sinkholes ?

19. Brokor

No, it's a constant, not a singular condition. The Earth's core is always moving and flowing, and material is taken in (subduction) from the sea floor all the time, just as it is deposited (eruption) onto the surface. Also, with really big quakes, we see large areas of land pushed upward (mountains), with the opposite affect being the subduction of land back into the Earth's mantle and core. The planet is always in this state of birth and rebirth, a renewal process that will continue as long as it spins around our star. When one plate goes up, another is going down.

There are massive sinkholes in Russia, for example. Much of it has to do with the composition of the land, I'm not too educated on the sinkhole factor of volcanic tubes and such, but in highly active regions like Hawaii, there are some tunnels I wouldn't want to be near for even a minute.

SB21, Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  20. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This is a sinkhole that opened up near the volcano. I got this picture from a paper dated July 7. Not a massive sinkhole but thought I would share.

Hawaii-volcano-update-Huge-sinkholes-opening-up-near-Hawaii-volcanoes-national-park-985374.

Dunerunner likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7