Harbor Freight Wool Blanket

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by RouteClearance, Feb 26, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Good to let others know , Because some WILL buy a 500 genset & try to power texas

I can get a 3000 inverta gen to run a house , picks up all units 8 freezers and house , just need to wire & set stuff up.

Pick the phase leg , isolate the second .leg

2. Thunder5Ranch

Thunder5Ranch Monkey+++

Now we are getting beyond my understanding of.... calculate how many amps you use and how many amps the power source generates and not exceeding 80% of the available amps generated :)

Bandit99 likes this.
  3. sdr

sdr Monkey++

Well, just picked up one of the blankets today. I have it sitting outside in the middle of the yard on a table. Not sure what to do with it. The thing smells so bad I won't even put it in the garage. No chance I'll wash it inside. Trying to figure out how I'll do it. Thinking about a 5 gallon bucket with soap. Then letting it air out for a couple months.

I mean it's that bad.

Any better ideas?

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I'm going to get some next week. Think I'll smell them in the store.

Laundromat or car wash

5. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Try using a box of baking soda in the 5 gallon bucket of water instead of soap. i bought a set of od green surplus mechanics winter coveralls years ago. the diesel smell was so bad I had to soak them in a large tub of water with a large box of baking soda.
    I have to wonder if those blankets are made by various factories which would explain why some of them smell bad. Those that I have bought at my location do not have any smell.

arleigh likes this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Over the years, I have gotten a bunch of wool blankets. Don't have the super heavy ones. I live in Hawaii after all.

But have a bunch of alpaca blankets from Alpaca Warehouse. They are soft and comfy with no bad smell. Reasonable price.

Alpaca Warehouse | Genuine Alpaca Clothing from Peru

Have also gotten a couple virgin merino wool blankets from Tahoe Tribe Outfitters on Amazon. I do not see that they are selling now. But they were reasonable at $45. Pretty heavy and warm. I like the pumpkin orange ones I got. Also no smell and comfortable.

Amazon.com: Customer reviews: Virgin Merino Wool Camping Blanket By Tahoe Tribe Outfitters - Survival Gear & Emergency Supplies for Outdoor Enthusiasts (Pumpkin Orange)

Like clothes, I like to layer my blankets. Based on the conditions. Really hot and muggy will be uncovered. Then it progresses. First a cotton or silk sheet. Then a wool blanket. If it is cold, a second wool blanket. Remember, my wool blankets are not super heavy. If it is really cold and windy, I might throw a woobie over to block wind seepage through the blankets. Any of those configurations are toasty to me. But adding a thin sheet to the blanket makes a huge difference.

When camping, I usually take a sheet and a wool blanket. That has always been enough since I will keep myself out of the wind. I like having a breeze on me though.

1. Coyote Ridge
  2. HK_User
  3. DKR
  4. Hanzo
  5. Bishop
  6. Hanzo
  7. chelloveck
  8. Brokor
  9. Brokor
  10. Brokor
  11. Astrodokk
  12. monkeyman