Harley Folks got no sense of Humor

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by HK_User, Apr 13, 2019.

1. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Damn.........Nice......!!!!!!!

oldman11, Tully Mars and Ura-Ki like this.
  2. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

In everyone's opinion what IS the best Triumph to own? Year ,Model....

oldman11 and Ura-Ki like this.
  3. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

My opinion, ( others may vary) is to get any Trumpet that has the newer Cosworth Designed twin, They are easy to identify,the cylinder head is milled, not left as cast like the older bikes.
    If your after an older one, any of the bikes from the early 70s on up are pretty decent, I prefer the late 80's as they got the much improved brakes, and had a re design of the oiling system that helped cooling!

Tully Mars and Gator 45/70 like this.
  4. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Oh Man! Buddy's dad rode a Snortin for 25+ years, about 60 miles each way to work and back, Man that was some bike!
    Buddy has it now and is restoring it back to its glory days in the early 70's with a bunch of original French made one off parts it had, just like I remember it! It's a 1969 835 Super Commando, Supercharged, and it has 156000 miles on it! Says something about those Ol' Snortins!

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
  5. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Unacceptable. Ride it!!

6. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Any of the triples (Sprint ST preferred here, 955i and later.)

Gator 45/70, SB21 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I had a 2009 Speed tripple, what a machine, a ticket magnet to be sure! Serious power, would wheely at will, and generally got me in a LOT of trouble! I do miss that bike, though not the best in traffic or for long distances, it sure got ya there quick! Mine was the big motor!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    Gator 45/70 likes this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Back in the early 80's a machinist buddy of mine let me ride his Norton and then his Triumph. That's all it took. Something about those old bikes just do it for me. For me this is my dream bike
    BMW R75.

Ganado, oldman11, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  9. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

had one... but was a 750... had a cracked head... kept blowin gaskets

the shop warranty ended up given me a shaved racing head was all they had at the time...

said OK...

got 3rd gear wheelies out of it after that...

hated the peg mounting... if ya fell over ya often broke off the peg... did not fold...

and replacement was a pain... loved it all the same!

10. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

urual... had my eye on them for awhile now... some models have rear and side car wheel drive...

copy of a 1930's german military BMW IIRC...

Ural Motorcycles

oldman11, Ura-Ki and Tully Mars like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I've got a buddy that had an old WL Harley he inherited from his dad . It was all original . Had one of the old Willys military jeeps as well . He had them in an open garage , had his dog on a chain on one corner of the building , his doghouse was just inside the garage . He had a lightbulb in his doghouse for a little heat. One night the dog somehow busted the lightbulb , it sparked and lit the straw in the doghouse on fire , and burnt the garage down before the fire department got there . It didn't really mess the stuff up to bad , burnt the tires , just barely warped some of the sheet metal on both of them . The Harley wasn't seized up , but we figured it got hot enough to ruin the seals in the hubs and engine , and the wiring was shot . He sold the stuff , just didn't have the money to fix them , or the heart to mess with them anymore . And I didn't want him having to come around me and me having his Dads stuff . He felt bad enough as it was . Luckily the dogs barking woke him up , so he was able to get the dog before the fire got to him .

12. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

That BMW would make a great BOV, especially with the MG34

13. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

That I have, just need the bike;)

SB21, Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  14. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

i found @Tully Mars and his dog!
    I love those Triumphs as well
    [​IMG]

15. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Thanks Ganado.
    Right on time, I believe the picture to be the next HD Business Manager's Transport.
    I have had it with the process of simply walking in the door and leaving with a BIKE.
    If what I experienced is the brave new world of the MC industry then I will it to the millennials, may it and they die in peace.
    Layer upon Layer of "Programs" that slip $$ from you pocket.
    Layer upon Layer of "Pass the Buck from each department.
    I may soon travel South to Austin to check out a bike of an Italian Marque.

I will first call and get the facts as to the Hustle of the Sale.
    First and foremost is the "Shipping" charge.
    Then we have the Make Ready.
    On top of that is the many tiered Extended Plans.

On and on.

16. HK_User

This will be a a 90° transverse V-twin air and oil cooled engine with shaft drive.

Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and Ganado like this.
  17. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

rats I missed called that one @HK_User and here I thought it was Tully :ROFLMAO:

SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. HK_User

Maybe your crystal ball was a bit damp!

19. HK_User

Back to this post now that the rain has ceased, 5 + inches and we even caught a truck in a slight depression. Not our truck just a city tired vehicle in the rural area with slick tires.

On with the Harley Bizz.

I did purchase a 2019 XG750, it is a much better Bike than I first rode in 2017. Then it was a 500 and not really street or road worthy as I figure any bike I buy better be able to get out of its own way.

Being a short stroke engine it (now) has good ride ability in all condition and the 750 is a quick machine. The engine design is modern and the short block height does away with any top heavy feel of the cast iron of old.

It pretty much fits me and I will add a minimum of do dads. First on the list is the HD security system and a series of add on parts to protect the bike in a Parking Lot tip over that can cost thousands of dollars.

HD presents this as a entry level bike and the 500 is in that category but the 750s are more aggressive.

Hard Core Hog riders will knock them but I could care less.

Tully Mars likes this.
  20. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

There are those that worship and polish the shield, and those that ride 'em. Those that ride 'em usually don't hang with HD very long. I almost succumbed to that rolling vibrator they tried to sell as a dirt bike some years ago until I stopped at the dealership and they started one for me. Shook so bad on the side stand that the front wheel was clearing the pavement. Was riding a CB750 in those days, I stayed with it ---

HK_User and Tully Mars like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7