Harrison Bergeron - Vonnegut

Discussion in 'Survival Reading Room' started by melbo, Jun 22, 2010.

1. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I got on a Vonnegut kick this evening and ran across one of my favorite short stories.

This is just BOING page 1 of 6 and the rest LA LA LA is attached (Just a 6 AHHHHHH page pdf if DING you can BELL-GONG get through CAR-CRASH it)

Full pdf attached below.

Attached Files:

mrrk1562 likes this.
  2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

yup .... a man well ahead of his time .... as a youth, i read most of his books and many of his short stories ...
    can anyone recommend a modern contemporary to him ?

3. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I remember that only because George & Hazel were my parents names....*duh*....Guess I'll have to reread it now... :)

4. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

This was made into a movie version the ballerinas dancing with sandbag handicaps was pretty good;(i.e. no ballerina could be any more graceful than any other).

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Okay you spurred my renewed interest.... I just placed 2 holds at my local library system (it has nine branches) for his following books; "Armagedon in retrospect"(and other new and unpublished writings on war and peace), and "Look at the birdie"(unpublished short story fiction).
    Also I have never seen the movie "Alice's Restaurant" with Arlo Guthrie.... , I am getting that from them as well.

6. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

My wife was a big Vonnegut fan all through h,.s. I have yet to breach her collection of paperbacks in the basement stacks.Other than "Galapagos" (a future where humans have evolved into seals). Hes got some great titles i.e: Wampeter ,foma and grandfalloons" and "welome to the monkey house", I think "slaughterhouse 5" was his too.

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Slaughter House 5 or The Childrens Crusade was awesome. I'm pretty sure I have every KV published - most in hardcover and a few are signed.

Great stuff and no, I don't know who can replace him.

8. Sudden

Sudden Monkey++

I started reading Vonnegut with Slaughter House 5. I think my favorite is Cat's Cradle, it was my first end of the world novel. Ice-nine, what a way to go. The tornadoes were my favorite part I have a crystal clear picture of them in my mind.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7