Harvesting the "Fruit" of my tree

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Imasham, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Some time ago in another post I mentioned that one of my apple trees was going to have an exceptionally good crop this year. Well, it did, and it's harvest time!

So far I have about two 65 litre bins of apples picked and so today it was time to start some processing. I purchased a Victorio food strainer in order to help the processing a little easier (which it really did - you can read my product review on Amazon).

The photo below shows the setup - I cooked my apples to get them soft and then they went into the white hopper.

I turned the handle and the apples are fed into the straining screen. The fruit is strained into sauce and drips down the tray into the bowl. The seeds, stems and skins continue out the front and drop into the waste bowl.

The large bowl of sauce is five pints worth.

Posters on some other sites mentioned that they processed the waste a second time but I didn't feel the need. The waste I collected had no fruit left so I didn't bother.

I then poured the sauce into jars and water bath canned them. Below is my first batch just taken out.

While I did the apple sauce making my wife made up some batches of apple crisp which we'll enjoy later this winter!

It is so satisfying to be processing my own food! I have quite a lot more to go and will be busy for the next week or so.

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I think we need that apple crisp recipe --- Please!!

3. GOG

GOG Free American Monkey

Verrrry nice. :)

sec_monkey likes this.
  4. Imasham

Imasham Monkey

Since you asked so nicely!

Slice and spread 6-8 peeled apples into a greased 8 x8 baking pan
    Sprinkle with: 1/2 cup sugar and 2 tbsps of water (both optional - sugar depending on sweetness of apple type and water depending on juiciness of apple type)
    Mix and then spread over the apples: 4 tbsps butter, 1 cup rolled oats, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup nuts
    Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until apples are tender

The recipe is from Deseret Recipes, a book published by the LDS church in 1981.

We always have it with a nice quality vanilla ice cream!

5. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

How to Make Applejack

Sounds like it's time to quote my favorite movie:
    "
    Elizabeth: Did you know that the Fenty's had an apple farm back in Pennsylvania?

Ben Rumson: Apple jack, huh?

Mr. Fenty: No, sir, we did not make apple jack!

Ben Rumson: Then, what did you grow the apples for?

Mr. Fenty: Mr. Rumson, do you think that everything that comes out of the earth should be used to make liquor?

Ben Rumson: Whenever possible, yes.

Mrs. Fenty: You should read the Bible, Mr. Rumson.

Ben Rumson: I have read the Bible, Mrs. Fenty.

Mrs. Fenty: Didn't that discourage you about drinking?

Ben Rumson: No, but it sure killed my appetite for readin'! "

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7