Has anybody considered the new m855a1

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Fred49, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

I am new to this forum has anyone thought about the new m855a1 round the new version looks promising

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Don't know ANYTHING about it. You brought it up. Is this just a tease or do you want me to dig for the info, and why should I?

3. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Good read. Thanks.

4. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

So i was wondering if it might be a good round for shtf i mean you are not going out for competition but needing to get through material and barriers. I happened to find a few and tried them. I think the army clasified them to miss leed the public. Out to 200 yards i kept it in 1 hole and to my surprise it punched through 1/2 steel that was used as backing. That is why i was asking to see if any body else tested and got the same results!

5. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Reading all this, I have to ask myself if one hole accuracy is a requirement for SHTF. Granted, there is some comfort in knowing the ammo and rifle are capable, but the average monkey is not a sniper grade shooter, so it seems to be a bit of a stretch to ask for sniper grade ammo. Even with organized monkey platoons, suppression will be more valuable than one shot one kill deals and for individual home defense, way over the need. That, to me, means any fodder that feeds the rifle reliably will probably fill the bill (or freezer) as needed. But that's just me, YMMV.

(But I'd like to have some for testing.)

7. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

I was thinking more anti material stopping something that might not be easy to put down like car or someones idea of light armor. But ammo is heavy checking on trade offs weight to penetration. If you can get a 5.56 to out perform a 308 i would think thats a will. Easy for follow ups regardless of target. But for hunting would be a waste mainly self preservation! Besides if survival is the goal shot placement has to be king!!!

8. Yard Dart

I have not looked yet, but I think some of the consideration would also have to be cost per round, for the average Monkey. Though IMO, based on the information in the article above, it would be prudent to have a stash of this round. Considering the barrier penetration capability over the standard M885, this would be a great round for defense. Add to that, post-shtf, one may encounter significant malnourished folks, which the round does much better on "skinny" targets. ;)

9. Yard Dart

You also have to take into consideration, are you using the right tool for the task. If you are in defense, are you going to use a 5.56 on roadway coverage in general, or would one opt to use 7.62 or bigger for that task. I would think a nice M82A2 would work well in that regards. :D

10. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I'd have a hard time believing that .gov would let us lowly citizens have such a projectile.
    Far to dangerous .. ;)

Capt. Tyree and Gator 45/70 like this.
  11. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

I also would opt for a bigger round but if you have to hump a distance weight is always an issue also the size of the firearm needed to fire such round! Just wondering if it was available what do you think the cost might be if it ever come out? Nomatter what might happen in a shtf stuation i doubt anbody is going to be in heavy armor to hard to get around. I am still looking for my m2 to mount on my vehicle.

12. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

From a reloadability standpoint, you could not cast your own, to replace what was used up. Also causes faster breakdowns and jamming problems.

13. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

For that matter every thing breaks and intime you will run out of everything!! The point would be to have when needed. The military is being issued this round i wonder what would need to defend against the round as well?

14. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My inclination is to stay with what I have, which is NO 5.56, in my Weapons Locker... I am a 30 Cal type of guy. 30 Carbine, 30.30, 308, etc... Since there is no place to Bug out to, in my AoO, and I have my Rhino, for transport, I can use it to carry around my AR10, and it's Ammunition. No need to worry about packing it any distances, around here, so weight isn't really an issue. The thing I had to consider was "ReSupply".... Where was that coming from and how fast could it happen, in many of the SHTF Senerios.... I ReLoad, so I just need to have plenty of Components, available, for the basic Cartridges that fit my Weapons. 10K Primers, for each Type. Minimum 1000 Rounds for each Weapon. Minimum, another 1000 Cases for each Cartridge. Minimum 10K Projectiles, in each Caliber, and Type. Minimum 25 Lbs of Common Smokeless Powder for each Weapon Type. (Rifle, Pistol, Shotty). 200 Lbs of Lead, and 25Lbs of REAL Black Powder. 5000 #10 Precussion Caps... And a Box of Flints....

VisuTrac likes this.
  15. Fred49

Fred49 Neophyte Monkey

Got ya still nice to have 100,000 rds ready to go some in all calibers just in case you never know what or when

16. whynot

whynot Monkey+++

Sierra 69 grain or 77 grain match will get the accuracy and yaw on thin skinned targets for a few pennies more than standard M855. Pretty easy to change a magazine to some M855 when penetration is needed. I seriously doubt we will ever see the new round available to us mere civilians.

whynot

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. T. Riley
  2. duane
  3. OldDude49
  4. oil pan 4
  5. Oddcaliber
  6. deMolay
  7. Grandpa Patch
  8. Bishop
    Thread

Socket mold