Hatchets Or Saws?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by CATO, Oct 7, 2012.

Tags:
  1. The Duece

The Duece Monkey

Ive got the smaller gerber pack axe with knife in the handle,i usually carry that,or i carry my scandvik hatchet,both work well for me ive also got the folding gerber saw and their little bone saw as well.all came in a pack. Axe,saw,folding saw and a nice folding buck skinner with guthook
    D

Last edited: Feb 13, 2015
  2. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Update for 2015: BUCKSAW

How to make your own...

I use one made by Browning, will post pics another time maybe. Lots of varieties out there. Any folding pack saw would be a decent addition to your pack. Knowing how to make your own is great, too.

Wikipedia: Bucksaw - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Along the same lines, a Silky Bigboy folding saw would be a fantastic addition
    silk.

Lots of people give hatchets and axes a bad name, that's because they do not know how to use them properly. Knowing how to use your axe and choosing the right size for the job are worth more than any tool a hundred fold...

Yard Dart and The Duece like this.
  3. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I don't know if any of you guys have seen this yet, but this is my Cold Steel Trail Boss after I modified it.

BEFORE:
    cs.
    AFTER:
    DSC00379.JPG DSC00378.JPG

Tully Mars and Yard Dart like this.
  4. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I have a Companion Hatchet my Dad carried camping for years. Also two bow saws which I hate to use but would rather saw than worry a log in half with a hatchet!

Mine is like this one..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
    Brokor and Tully Mars like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I like both...

6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I have a hawk, wire saw, folding Gerber saw, and a Bear working knife... I can cut, split, slaughter and kill... what else do you need?

kellory likes this.
  7. Generally speaking I think a 1 1/2 - 2 pound 14"-16" hatchet is best for most utility work. I have lived in the rural south all my life and have hardly ever needed anything other than a wildlife hatchet and a bow saw.

If a man has a 2 pound hatchet, 2.5 pound blacksmith hammer and a bow saw.. you can do darn near anything.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I can do just about everything with a hatchet or small Axe, that I can do with a saw. But there are things I can do with a hatchet, that I can not do with a saw. So the hatchet is more useful.

1. sasquatch91
  2. The_Prepared
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Witch Doctor 01
  5. AndyinEverson
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Motomom34
  8. oil pan 4
  9. oil pan 4
  10. oil pan 4
  11. Ura-Ki
  12. Hanzo