Have A Plan To Defend Your Home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Yard Dart, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I'm hoping you only want your phones to contact neighbors for help??? Dialing nine hundred eleven here for help only means they will find you in some form of F'ed up at the crime scene. They would only be needed for medical help and body bags.

I live in the country behind a locked gate, so anyone knocking at the door would get an armed response immediately. Not going to go into any details.

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If you take the time to stroke the pump, you've wasted time better spent sending a charge down range. If you gotta pick it up, you gotta be ready to use it, no point to wasting time trying to scare the baddy or taking a chance of short stroking. (Likewise racking the slide on a self loader.) Thus spake me, and maybe me only.

BTPost, Yard Dart, tulianr and 3 others like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

100% Correct. Our thinking is now that the grandson is in full blown carpet shark mode it would be better to have empty chambers in the only guns he might be able to get to. While he understands "no" it only takes a second with my back turned and he can be across the room and into another. Seemed to be a good compromise between having to put them up and take them out constantly. We have a "shark gate" across the doorway leading into the room for his visits,but we just felt better with the chambers empty.

4. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

The first noise they should hear is the shot fired after they have been hit. Racking a pump shotgun only lets the bad guy know where you are so they can shoot you when you come around a corner. Lasers and flashlight are the same unless you know how to use them, on fire off.

Yard Dart and oldawg like this.
  5. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

A wise man would simply say, Yes Dear, What ever you want.

gunbunny, Tully Mars and RightHand like this.
  6. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Tully Mars .... This exactly why our "Go To" Weapons are on Pegs, above the Front Door, Front Windows. Fridge Top, and High on the Wall in my Office. They are well out of reach for children, even standing on Chairs... We have only the occasional GrandKid visiting these days, and they are given,"The Standard FireArms Safety Lecture" the first Day of the visit, and on Day Two, we do a couple of hours of Practical Weapons Safety Training, at the Range. These have been Standard Family Practice, since we were married, 4+ decades ago. We have NEVER had an issue, with Weapons, in our homes, as our children were taught respect for FireArms, before they could articulate themselves, in Full Sentences.

Needing to Rack a Shell into the chamber of a Pump Shotgun, does two things. First it gives away your location, by the lack of Sound Discipline, and Second, it deprives you of one Round, in the Weapon LoadOut. If you do not feel comfortable, with chamber loaded Weapons, in your Home, and, or, Child Security, of those Weapons, then FIX THOSE ISSUES, or give up having "Weapons
    ready to use" available, in your home.

Pre 1900, it was very very common to have the Family Rifle, or Shotgun, mounted on Pegs above the Cabin Door, and another Loaded Weapon on Pegs above the FirePlace Mantel. There were GOOD SOUND Reasons for these placements, that are just as Valid, today, in the Modern Era.

7. Tully Mars

I feel as though I have fixed those issues.The shotguns are not the only weapons available, just the only ones in open view if he were to go into the master bedroom as I mentioned before. He will receive firearms instruction when he is old enough-@ 16 months he isn't near ready for anything other than "NO".

8. ghrit

TM, I still have a problem with weapons in open view and loaded. In BT's case, it looks to be more acceptable since he's so far out there and has early warning enough, it's one thing. But, if the invader has a partner coming in from the other direction, the nearest visible weapon can be used against you. YMMV, uv cuss, but that's why mine are to hand, but not visible to anyone that gains entry.

Mountainman, Yard Dart and kellory like this.
  9. Tully Mars

I agree,but as I said before the only ones that can be seen are the 870's in the master bedroom. If an intruder makes it all the way into there,honestly the gig is most likely up already. You just can't gain access to that room without getting through much of the house.

10. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

I think as usual, BT is the exception when it comes to guns out in the open. Like Ghrit said, he is so far out there, that his rules can be a bit different than most for weapon's storage/accessibility.

I think it is extremely prudent to have several means of defense throughout your house....available readily, loaded and ready to go engage at a moments notice. Obviously some have kids to be concerned with, but there are a lot of great products out their now to use and provide a safe storage option.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

And you can always modify furniture in fun ways to provide close access to whatever you may want.....

[​IMG]

kellory and Tully Mars like this.
  11. Lone Gunman

Lone Gunman Draw Varmint!

I'm surprised; I really am! I'm certified to teach various aspects of self and home-defense; and, in my opinion, there’s far less, ‘self-defense savvy’ in this thread than I expected to see.

People have told me that I’m unusually knowledgeable at this sort of thing; but, then again, I should be. In 1990 our home was suddenly invaded; and I sincerely believe that my wife and I would have either died or been seriously injured in that attack if it hadn't been for the fact that there were two highly trained guard dogs in the house.

Who would have thought? Two of my best, ‘students’ actually saved our lives! Those two Pit Bulldogs took care of the intruder for us; and it’s a good thing they did, too, because I was on crutches at the time; and all of my guns were upstairs where I couldn’t get at them. Without those two guard dogs I doubt that I'd be typing this right now; and that’s, ‘Why’ their professionally taken photographs are on my desk. They’re, both, gone now; but their memory will always be with me.

I learned my lesson that day. For the past 25 years I've slept, every night, with a loaded pistol underneath my pillow. A fully charged cell phone and a 250 lumen tac light are, also, right next to the bed. Guns should never be kept, ‘by the door’. Neither should they be, ‘salted’ throughout the house. (Where did that insanity come from?) The gun should, either, be in your hand, or inside an open-topped holster on your belt.

When I’m, ‘dressed for success’ the cell phone, at least one extra magazine, and a knife of some sort are, also, always with me. Whenever I'm out of the house a cigarette lighter, and a small (but bright) flashlight are added to my belt load. Neither my wife, nor I have answered, 'the door' in years! We answer the front window, instead. Hasn't anybody ever heard of domestic angles and lines-of-fire? It's your responsibility to know every available line and angle-of-fire in and around your: home, yard, and property.

Never leave guns scattered around your home. In an invasion emergency this might cause one of your own guns to be used against you. Wherever you are inside your home, THAT is where your gun should also be, and within no more than arm's reach, as well. (Which, regardless of the Bulldogs, is where my own gun should have been on the morning that we were attacked, but wasn’t.)

We, now, live in the country; and I have formed the good habit of doing an outside property check once or twice a night; and always shortly before we go to bed. This is how I discovered that one of our miscreant neighbors was using our farm dumpster to off load buckets of methamphetamine waste only hours ahead of our regularly scheduled weekly garbage pickup. (This right next to a hayfield from which beef cattle are fed!)

My biggest worry? I worry most about coming home. I don't want to be caught off-guard either: inside my vehicle, or out in the driveway, (Both primary points-of-attack!) or as we attempt to reenter our home and settle in. (The other big danger point!) To a lesser extent, during the evening, I worry about lighted windows; and, in the same vein, basement windows are always a problem, and warrant some sort of extra lock on the upstairs basement door.

‘Curiosity killed the cat!’ NEVER - as in, 'NEVER' - go to see what that, 'bump in the night' is all about. If the sound is mysterious and alarming enough to warrant investigation then you need to use your cell phone. Do NOT attempt to approach the source of the disturbance. ‘Honker on down’ inside some sort of fortified bedroom position, instead, and wait for the problem to approach you!

YOU DO NOT GO TO IT

At our home my wife (Perhaps the best of all my students!) and I work as a team. She hangs back, has the phone, and has been taught how to shrewdly operate a tactical light. (Flash on, flash off, and held in front of and away from your body!) If there's any verbal warning to be given, then, she's the one who'll do the talking. I'm the silent one with the gun, waiting just out of sight, and at an oblique angle to her position. (The one whom an intruder isn't going to either see or even suspect is, also, present.)

Instinctively, my wife and I will take up positions at, more or less, a right angle to one another. Anyone approaching her, anyone attempting to line up on her, will have to, first, get past the muzzle of my gun. Like Jim Cirillo, I prefer not to use a shotgun for either self, or home-defense. At room fighting distances I really don't need anything more than a pistol. Racking a slide in order to warn the bad guy off?

THAT IS A SUCKER'S MOVE
    !

Try this against someone who actually knows what he's doing with a gun in his hands, (Nowadays, there's quite a few of, 'all the wrong people' who do!) and you'll, more than likely, end up by getting yourself promptly shot in the first opening fusillade! It’s sinful that so many of us, now, have to live in our homes like this; but, this is the general social direction in which our society is presently heading. (A sign of the times, I suppose!)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
    Mountainman and ghrit like this.
  12. Tully Mars

Sounds to me as though "Johnny Methhead" learned that all he had to do was wait til you made your last round for the night and then he was free to dump.. Maybe a camera system and a non set (predicable) time line?

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  13. Illini Warrior

Illini Warrior Illini Warrior

eazy enough to wire in phone jacks wherever you want them - cheap too .... simple plug in landline phones are selling for 50 cents each at the garage sales .... having phones ready to use in places like the basement or a "safe room" closet isn't the worse part of a security plan ....

Motomom34, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  14. ghrit

Misdirection, methinks.

15. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

When a crutch is not a crutch...
    crutch.

16. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Good post gunman..... you have many valid points.

I understand you were dissatisfied with the lack of self defense savvy in this particular thread. This thread, was but my raising the flag for folks to remember, to continually evaluate their home-base security with the relevant current article attached. When you have been here a bit and get the feel for the place.... as well as read the various threads... you will see we have discussed many of your, very valid points, in detail at one point or another. It is nice to see that you are professional in this area.... and I welcome you aboard once again. I am sure you will have much good stuff to contribute... and allow folks to learn off of that knowledge you have gained through your experiences.

Each of us have different security concerns at home. Some folks are rural, some are urban and some in the middle... each has homes with various issues.... such as kids, bad neighbors, different terrain and so on. I could sketch out my particular layout, choke points, security features, where I have a gun, knife, light, camera and so on.... but I am not going to do that. We each have our own privacy concerns and normally you will not hear the full story of what one has done to secure their AO. What you see as a lack of information... may just as easy be OPSEC in effect.

Consider those various issues, prior to bashing folks post or threads. You have some that are sole prepper's in their family, dealing with maybe a spouse that is not on board..... That person is not going to necessarily be strapped 24 hours a day due to the spouses objections. And due to that issue, they are always looking for ways to enhance their security with ideas.... that they may find here in our various threads... and that basic idea may fit their need, without implementing those ideas... and freaking out their partner.

If you want to do a thread specifically to express your particular expertise in various aspects, I for one would be happy to read it as I suspect many others. We are here to learn and share what we can. But doing drive by's on threads, without the understanding of the reader, prior postings focusing on the issue/tactics (whatever) and so on, just tends to make one look a bit full of himself IMO. And yes, I understand you are full of certifications and experience... read it a few times now in various threads.... you are not the only one... let it go.

Hunkering down in place due to a bump in the night sounds warm and cozy.... but what if your local police response time (like many around the nation) is an hour or more? Is that good advice, maybe not, maybe that person is going to have to investigate it. Being properly trained, having a plan, and a family following that plan is key, as you well know.

Trying to slam a person that has a gun stashed here and there in a safe manner is not productive nor a valuable contribution. You have no idea of what an individuals layout is, until you survey the particular situation and do a tactical evaluation. Until that point.... that critic is valid only for your particular situation.

I guess I am done with my blathering.........
    YMMV
    YD
    [rnt]

17. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

That was pretty well said. I use the windows to see who is here. I have windows I can see both doors from. We keep our doors locked and we have dogs who are not good attack dogs but let us know when anyone is around the house. People don't even have to knock and my dogs are letting us know we have company.. I also don't use a shotgun in the house. That is my yard clearing tool. We keep two hand guns at the ready close to hand at all times. Bruce has no fear of intruders as he lives in the Alaskan bush. I worry more about people waiting until we leave home , then breaking in and stealing. This is why we leave no guns out for anyone to find. Forced entry is very rare in our area. I practiced several defensive plans and have a couple real good ones for intruders. Training is what matters.

Mountainman, RightHand and Yard Dart like this.
  18. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I went through a period of time when my house, literally in the middle of 100 acres of woods, was broken into 3 times in 18 months. I lost everything of value and many things that had value greater than monetary. I have never left the house unlocked, the windows unlocked, the vehicles unlocked, the garage unlocked, the barn unsecured. In the end, it didn't matter. They broke windows and used tire irons to pry the door jams

I had gotten into the habit of taking my pups to work with me leaving the house empty but knowing that the house had stood in those same woods for 70 years with never a problem, I was complacent. After the first break in, I would leave one pup home and take the other with me.

then one of the pups died which left me with one. She was lonely so I continued bringing her to work with me. My folly. After both pups had died and the 3rd break in had taken place, I got another pup and he would brook no intrusions and yes, he would bite. He broke a man's hand once when the guy, unknown to my pup (Apollo ~ the Wonder Dog), got too close to me and put his arm around my shoulder. Next thing he knew he had a 130 lb Dobie hanging off his hand. But I had warned the guy........and so had Apollo if the guy had been paying attention.

the pups have always been my best defense from any danger. All 3 of my dobies have been highly motivated toward protecting me and "their" property.

19. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

Dogs are great tools.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  20. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

I think it's time for me to wash my tactical wheelbarrow now!

oldawg, Tully Mars, Yard Dart and 2 others like this.
  1. Ganado
  2. oldman11
  3. HK_User
  4. Motomom34
  5. Motomom34
  6. Motomom34
  7. BelBol
  8. Bishop
  9. Yard Dart
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Motomom34
  12. Yard Dart