Hawaii asking prescription Marijuana users to surrender guns

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Nov 29, 2017.

1. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Fed gun control and its continued insistence on clasifying M.J. as a controlled substance is as bassackward as it is stoooooopid, but then it' the frinking Fed! Worse is it's run by a bunch of crooked ass clowns with their own agendas that self serve and leave you and I out to dry! Time past due for the feds to step off and let the real men and women who have a vested interet
    In the succss of this place we call a republic take over and start the whole thing over from square one and the constitution and the will to apply it and uphold it! Until then, fuk-um says me! Nonaya!!!

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  2. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

@Ura-Ki "Fed gun control and its continued insistence on classifying M.J. as a controlled substance is as bassackward as it is stoooooopid.."

You nailed it! And, I couldn't agree more. The real meat of this problem is why is it still against Federal law while numerous States have finally realized the truth about marijuana? I believe it is no more than the Federal government never likes to reverse itself and they sure as hell don't want to give up any control no matter what it is. I smoked it as a young kid, haven't for 30-40 years, but I fear alcohol and, more to the point, people under the influence of alcohol much, much more than someone smoking a joint - even driving I would rather see someone drive who has smoked than someone who has drank. In fact, even though I drink, I would go so far as to say I would rather see people smoke marijuana than drink. Why don't I smoke? I honestly don't like it, the feeling, plus I don't like putting any kind of smoke into my lungs...

3. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

From my experience marijuana is a gateway drug .
    I don't smoke or drink or socialize with those that do, however I have had to live in environments that all this was going on.
    I've known extraordinary healthy young men that were naive in the beginning getting involved in those whom smoke dope and in the end were so doped up they did more and more stupid suisidal things ,both their brain turned to jelly and there lives totally wasted in less than 2 years .
    I have close friend tin his early 40's that had memory to be envied ,his ability of recall was scary and precise . Now he is lucky to remember his way to work , if he is still working, all from the wonder of smoking dope.
    Of course the government is keeping a lid on it, long as it's illegal kids are going to defy the law and do stupid things and get them selves killed or denied the ability to think for them selves . more power to the government and it simply dove tales in to reducing the population ( Agenda 21)
    And the bad examples of adults defying the law only promotes kids defying the law .
    By the way cancer is curable , those that have provided the cure are eliminated ,one way or another. it's about the money and control.

4. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

gateway drug ?? Well thats like saying ,

Roy Rogers & Shirley Temples: Mocktails are a gateway also !

I like scotch & ,,, Beer I'm safe with @

Now both other buddies / grandpa's have lost there sons to opiodes and are making sure to spot the ones who resemble the traits . These are FINE gents , who didn't see the signs .

I saw the drug effect a few times & couldn't tell my wife the stuff I saw.

Sloth

5. Big Ron

Big Ron Monkey+++

No harm no foul.Let adults make choices for themselves. Drinking, gambling? The penalties for pot use is far worse than anything pot could ever do to a person. Millions using the stuff daily.It could be legal and taxed(i hate that part) but ignoring or punishing the public for its use isn't working. Paying towards the debt and healthcare with this tax money would be better then what is going on now. I have always wondered what bad stuff the folks in DC were on.

6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Let me see if I have this straight. (this is supposed to be very tongue in cheek!) Legal MJ is used for stuff like PTSD (where the person is on the verge of crazy), constant pain (which makes a person extremely cranky and out of sorts), mood disorders (which means you don't know if the person is having an "up" day or a "down" day), and lots of other conditions that tend to make a person "unreliable", according to Hawaiian law now? And the PTB want to go to these folks and steal their weapons (possibly one of the main things that gives them comfort), by force if necessary? Yeah, sounds like the perfect solution for the liberal mind-set. What could possibly go wrong???

Kajun

7. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This topic was discussed on another forum and one person asked this question:

Why should someone who is engaging in a lawful activity , responsibly , be made to give up their rights?

Mj is legal by prescription. It is a medical drug used to cure. So on one hand it is approved by HI but on the other it is criminalized. I am trying to think of any other drug that is treated this same way. It can be prescribed, it can be legally consumed but you will give up rights if you choose to medicate this way. And is this a permanent black mark that will keep you from exercising your 2A in the future?

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  8. oldman11

oldman11 Monkey+++

What about those people taking narcotic pain pills,will they be next? I take a narcotic for severe pain and because of that I didn’t renew my conceal license. I did so to keep from having trouble later on in case of having to use my weapon and being in a big law suit.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

You may wish to check that statement. For sure a palliative (even if the treatment makes the patient a zombie) no argument there. Cure for anything, well, that's still open for proofs beyond anecdotes..

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  10. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

@Motomom34 The difference IS that MJ is NOT classed as a Drug, Federally It is classed as a Contraband Item, the same as Heroin, and Cocaine, and some other items... An MD can NOT write you a Script for Heroin, or Cocaine, Federally, and what States do within their own Boarders, is a Totally Separate set of Statutes, and Regulations... If States choose to Regulate MJ as a Drug, and make it available the Script, or even openly, they CAN, but if the FEDs choose to Arrest you for MJ, they ALSO CAN, and try you in Federal Court, and you WILL be convicted, and be a Felon, just the same... Under the Obummer Administration, the FEDs chose NOT to prosecute for Possession of MJ, for individuals, in States that had made Possession legal, HOWEVER that is nothing more than a Policy, and can be changed at the whim of the US Attorney in our area... Tons of folks have been busted Federally, because that was the only thing the FEDs could come up with, to grab Up the Person, and then once in custody, used that to get the Person to Flip on other things that they may know... Look at what Mueller is doing to Mike Flynn... Same tactic... Bust him for Lying to the FBI, and then make that Plea Deal contingent, on cooperating on other Information... It is dome ALL the Time...

Last edited: Dec 3, 2017
  11. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Very good question because the current administration has declared war on on narcotics. I cannot imagine .gov declaring a war on something and not restricting rights but I doubt the physicians who dispense the drugs will be held accountable.

12. ghrit

Somehow, that message was lost along the way. I don't now see, nor have I ever seen, any intent to make narcotics illegal. I have seen intent to do away with street drugs and over prescribing of legal drugs for questionable real need. To that extent, ridding the country of people that would profit from creating addicts would have to be a good thing all around. Legitimate users are fine as long as appropriate controls are in place. I'll leave the argument whether addicts or other users should be prohibited persons alone. For now.

For further consideration, is an addictive psychoactive drug like pot in the same category as heroin (or morphine? Or as some will remember, LSD?) In other words, how fine do you want to slice the pie, allowing some psychoactives but not others? Sticking strictly with pot, there are any number of measurements regarding strength and purity. Here come the regulations to the microgram, to be established by bureaucrats with limited, if any, knowledge.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

The war on narcotics started long before the Trump admin. The feds required our health care provider to start writing individual prescriptions for opiods a couple of years ago then the procedures quickly became more and more difficult to the point that it forced my wife to get a medical marijuana card in order to function. The MJ doesn't work and they will no longer prescribe pain meds unless it's right after surgery. Her only option is "pain management" which basically means to deal with it. I expect the result of this "war" will be more alcoholics.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Seems like Hawaiians are not very happy about turning over their firearms. Public backlash has them reviewing the policy....

Hawaii police reviewing policy requiring marijuana users to turn over firearms

15. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Honolulu police stop requiring pot patients to give up guns

BY KENT THURBER ON DECEMBER 10, 2017
    Kent’s Note: This story comes from the Associated press

HONOLULU — Honolulu’s police chief ended a requirement that medical marijuana patients relinquish their guns.

Chief Susan Ballard said Wednesday medical marijuana patients can retain guns they already own, but they can’t buy additional guns once they become a patient, the Honolulu Star-Advertiser reported .

“Merely having a medical marijuana card doesn’t mean you’re using marijuana,” Ballard said. “We can’t prove you’re using marijuana. Our practice of having them turn in their firearms was incorrect.”

The department will return firearms to the two people who voluntarily relinquished them, Ballard said.

Retired state Supreme Court Justice Steven Levinson, a member of the Honolulu Police Commission, questioned why the department was denying firearm permits for marijuana patients but not people using much stronger prescription drugs.

“I’m a little puzzled as to why the distinction between medical marijuana and medical opioids,” Levinson said.

While Carl Bergquist, executive director of the Drug Policy Forum of Hawaii, said the police department should revisit the policy since medical cannabis is legal under state law.

“On behalf of physicians, nurses, caregivers and patients involved in the medical cannabis program, the assumption that they’re all impaired or a danger to society is a great insult,” Bergquist said. “A policy like this could push people out of the regulated system. We think these patients should not be stigmatized in this fashion.”

16. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The "war on drugs" started middle 1971.

17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

It is a small win for the gun owners of Hawaii. Glad they do not have to hand over their guns. But how long does it last? I wonder if you let your medical marijuana card expire does that mean you can start buying guns again?

That is a good question and if they start going after people who are on medical opiods, that is a huge pool of people. There is a crisis in this country and many people use them. Some every day, some take them occasionally.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

The difference is that opiods are legal by prescription at the federal level, but MJ is illegal at the federal level for any reason. There is no medical marijuana statute at the federal level.

While I don't agree with the "turn them in or else" policy, possession by a prohibited person is a federal felony which can carry the penalty of permanent prohibition. Ownership implies possession which in turn is technical grounds for a warrant and even if they are in a safe or locked up, having a copy of the key or knowing the combination to the safe indicates "posession" in a legal sense and now you are a felon.

They've made it pretty clear, at a federal level that if you are using, legal in the state or not, transfer ownership legally beforehand and remove your ability to possess the firearm. And no, unfortunately the federal statute does not allow for life threatening situations...prohibited is prohibited. It would be at the discretion of the DA or prosecutor to pursue charges, just like most other laws and statutes.

I'm not defending the law, and I'm not saying it's right, but we need to be honest here. So many of us who are pro gun and 2nd Amendment say "we don't need more gun laws, we need to enforce the ones we have" but then we come down on law enforcement when they do just that.

I will say that they are going after the opioid users in a different way. It's getting darned near impossible to get long term prescriptions but then the drug companies lobby to outlaw things like Kratom as an alternative to the opioids that people can't get anyway...it's lunacy.

Motomom34 and BTPost like this.
  19. ghrit

Equally honest, we should not bitch when the LE community enforces laws as written. That said, if the laws were enforced, the antis would soon figure out just exactly how nonsensical some of them are, not to mention unconstitutional.

BTPost likes this.
  20. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Big problem is, many laws - too many - are beyond ridiculous and are utterly assinine. Should we not bitch when these are enforced? We The People need to get them eliminated. Vote out those passing and supporting such laws. Get them overturned! The "gun laws" need yo be replaced with laws punishing the criminals, not the public.

1. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
    Media

3_years_ago

time to go back!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Apr 27, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. fl4848
  4. BTPost
  5. BTPost
  6. Dunerunner
  7. OldDude49
  8. oldman11
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. OldDude49
  11. OldDude49
  12. Motomom34
  13. Dunerunner
  14. T. Riley