Hawaii becomes first U.S. state to place gun owners on FBI database

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AD1, Jun 24, 2016.

1. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hawaii's governor signed a bill making it the first U.S. state to place its residents who own firearms in a federal criminal record database and monitor them for possible wrongdoing anywhere in the country, his office said.

The move by gun control proponents in the liberal state represents an effort to institute some limits on firearms in the face of a bitter national debate over guns that this week saw Democratic lawmakers stage a sit-in at the U.S. House of Representatives.

Hawaii Governor David Ige, a Democrat, on Thursday signed into law a bill to have police in the state enroll people into an FBI criminal monitoring service after they register their firearms as already required, his office said in a statement.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation database called "Rap Back" will allow Hawaii police to be notified when a firearm owner from the state is arrested anywhere in the United States.

Hawaii has become the first U.S. state to place firearm owners on the FBI's Rap Back, which until now was used to monitor criminal activities by individuals under investigation or people in positions of trust such as school teachers and daycare workers

"As you can imagine, the NRA finds this one of the most extreme bills we've ever seen," said Amy Hunter, a spokeswoman for the National Rifle Association's institute for legislative action.

Read more here

Hawaii becomes first U.S. state to place gun owners on FBI database

2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

It is an Island, actually a series of islands. That in itself makes regulating firearms much easier. It has to come in by boat or plane or be manufactured on the island. Hawaii has always been a State with very strict gun control.

Tully Mars likes this.
  3. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

It begins....

4. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

a criminal database...what could possibly go wrong?
    Bastards...

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

They have more dope there than where it was grown HERE ! BC BUD & i was asked if i wanted some ?? Old F like me , Ya must be kidding , plus my neighbours grow it all the time .
    I don't do dope or smoke , but all my dope friends are great & better than piss tanks. Sloth

6. VHestin

VHestin Farm Chick

So does this mean all LEOs go on the list too?

tedrow42, Meat, mysterymet and 2 others like this.
  7. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Yes, it begins. The real danger being that our legal system operates on precedents, and this sets a major one.

Bandit99, Ganado and Tully Mars like this.
  8. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

California must be jealous that someone has outdone them. I can hear sobs all the way from Massachusetts...

Yard Dart and ghrit like this.
  9. Meat

Meat Monkey+++

I'm going to quit buying those tasty rolls then. Well at least only at Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years and Easter. :D

Ganado and AD1 like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Another place off my bucket list.

11. rjburk

rjburk Monkey

Hawaii can be controlled due to location......sounds like a test so Obama can see how it goes.....and then.......

12. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Yeah, no chance of this being abused...

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

We have some notable Hawaiian members. I'll wait and see if they chime in. Having been to the islands, I don't need to go back, but I can see how doing so might make sense.

14. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

Hey brah, maybe you wanna change "kill a haoule" day to "kill a slimebag politician" day? Mahalo.

15. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

No, only LAW ABIDING citizens go on the list. Not thug... er... cops, gang bangers, dopers, smugglers, politicos, etc.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  16. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Where is Hanzo and Bear?
    Have they been interned to a fema camp?

1. fl4848
  2. BTPost
  3. BTPost
  4. Dunerunner
  5. OldDude49
  6. oldman11
  7. Ura-Ki