Hawaiian sweet potatoes

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Hanzo, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

We have been eating the leaves for months. Made our first harvest of the potatoes. Cut up two that the wifee mangled. Pan fired with garlic. Bummed that we are out of rosemary. Had a bunch to plant a month or so ago. They were in a bucket with potato leaves. Had some church ladies come. They actually come and visit with the wifee every week. When wifee offered them sweet potato leaves and cuttings to plant. They took everything in the bucket, including all my cuttings that I wanted to plant. Oh well. Brownie points for the guy upstairs?

Really starchy and tasty.

natshare, 3M-TA3, snake6264 and 2 others like this.
  2. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

That is interesting, do you know the actual Latin name of this variety, because they look totally different from what we call a Sweet Tater in Arkansas. Is that a Landrace or is it indigenous to the islands? It looks like a purple spud, like you find in the Andes. Sorry for all the questions but I find taters interesting, there are hundreds of varieties. Which is a good thing.

Hanzo likes this.
  3. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

In fact we had sweet taters for supper last night with meatloaf made from our Dexter grass fed steer. The variety we get here, which has orange flesh is very sweet when you roast them, the sugars caramelize and make them very tasty.

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Make some good round Fry's I bet .

deMolay and Hanzo like this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sorry, I do not. They are like Okinawan sweet potato.

deMolay likes this.
  6. deMolay

deMolay Monkey+

Thanks

Hanzo likes this.
  7. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Hmm I wonder how they would taste baked with cinnamon, nutmeg, brown sugar and butter... or marshmallow fluff...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7