HB 568 Texas Self Sufficiency Act

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ditch witch, Feb 16, 2013.

1. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Texas preps for going it alone
    Texas was its own nation before joining the United States, and many jokes have been made about some Texans still not recognizing that “other government” with which it now is affiliated.
    But lawmakers there are drawing attention by considering a law that would have Texas review how it would respond should the U.S. government no longer be there to send federal tax revenue back to the state.
    The proposal would set up a committee to study what the state gets from Washington, “the effects on the state budget if federal fiscal policy necessitates a significant reduction in or elimination of federal funding” and “a plan to address the loss of federal money.”
    The plan, HB 568, has been introduced by Rep. James White, who said in a statement Texas Self-Sufficiency Act “creates a select committee to evaluate the effects of a possible reduction in or elimination of federal funding on the state budget due to federal fiscal policy.”
    “Due to the fiscal dysfunction of Washington, D.C., and the fact that more than a third of our state’s budget revenue comes from the federal government, Texas needs to study what it would mean if the federal government couldn’t meet its obligations,” he said.
    The plan directs the governor, lieutenant governor and other officials to assemble a committee “to analyze not only our state’s dependence on federal funds, but the impact of federal funding on Texas’ economy.”
    Said White: “My district in South East Texas, for example, has a higher proportion of seniors compared to the state overall percentage. What would happen in the event the federal government eliminated the funds normally allocated to them? In the current economic climate, exacerbated by out of control spending in Washington, Texas needs to study possible responses to federal financial turmoil, and our readiness to adjust to such an event. Texans must govern Texas and Texans need to be concerned about Texas.”
    On the website for the state GOP, David Bellow blogged about the idea.
    “State Rep. James White has proposed a bill that will require the leaders of Texas to start crunching the numbers and figure out what Texas would look like if it had to be self sufficient … limited or no federal support … OUR OWN COUNTRY…. oops, I am getting a little ahead of myself, haha. Hey, I didn’t say secession but that certainly comes to mind when thinking about the federal government having a financial meltdown and cutting off most or all support to the states.”
    Bellow asked: “What would Texas do in the event that the United States of America defaulted? It is a very real possibility that one day the massive U.S. debt will become so large and unsustainable that it causes a financial meltdown. Texas, and pretty much everyone else, would all of a sudden be faced with no more federal funds (which is really just Texas tax dollars given to the feds which is then given back to Texas). Yes, Texas is already a sovereign state, but what would we do if faced with complete sovereignty and no federal money?”
    He explained: “State Representative James White is thinking ahead. He does not want to have to wait until Texas gets cut off from the federal government to determine how Texas will manage on our own. White wants to start planning now.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2013/02/texas-preps-for-going-it-alone/#XQEwSLKuKDHCp9p3.99
    Also at Texas Prepares for Sovereignty if U.S. Defaults - Rep. James White Files Texas Self Sufficiency Act HB 568 | Texas GOP Vote

2. enloopious

enloopious Rocket Surgeon

I think every state should have those kinds of reasonable examinations to determine just how dependant they really are. People should also do the same for their cities, and their own house holds. They make it sound a little out there in the story but I think we all know that its just being prepared.

3. ditch witch

I've already sent off emails to my state reps telling them what I think of HB568 and that I believe they should support it. Will drop some snail mailers in the box on Monday as well.

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Gotta love Texas. [touchdown]

5. ditch witch

I think the reps know that DC will retaliate for Texas's double fisted bird wave over federal gun control by withholding federal funds, and this is the proactive response for what is inevitable. I think this is also why Perry is out stumping in Cali and the AG is running ads in NYC trying to get businesses to move here.

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7