He made a folding shovel

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Motomom34, Mar 6, 2019.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Awesome! Obviously he is inspired by someone close to him. ....... I think I know who (MM34).

2. Merkun

Merkun furious dreamer

Half round wood grips sandwiching the handle would be an advantage when the paracord runs out AND with something that won't slither around in the hand. What does it weigh?

sec_monkey and Cruisin Sloth like this.
  3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Good looking work.

sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  4. john316

john316 Monkey+++

the tool looks great....the shop sounds great. when i was in school we had metal shop and wood shop in high school.
    now the schools have no shop at all

5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

That is because the Educators today, think ONLY a College Education is a valid Education, because they all have them.... Blame the NEA for that.... I have a Friend who was a Technical High School Principle, and he graduated a pile of kids that make more than 90% of College Grads, in the Technical Trades.... Welding, CADD, Plumbing, Electrical, Mechanics of all Kinds... LineMen, both Power and Telco... Hell most History Majors & liberal Arts Graduates don't even come close to what a GarbageMan makes these days...

SB21, Tully Mars, Gator 45/70 and 4 others like this.
  6. Good job. All I got to make in shop class was a cold chisel and stop sign posts for school crossing guards.

7. OldDude49

OldDude49 Just n old guy

wow... if you guys can't break it... after testing.. ya might have a product of real value there... !

some folks might pay good money for such... have to when ya consider the materials and labor involved...

but a good product is worth it IMHO...

keep us posted please!

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

No clue. We do not have a scale in our house. It is heavier then the store bought shovels but I think one could still easily carry it if hiking.

He made this in high school metal shop. His teacher has learned to just sit back and watch. My son is one that says, I am going to make this and does.

SB21, Seepalaces, Tully Mars and 3 others like this.
  9. Seepalaces

Seepalaces Monkey+++

Me too.

Gator 45/70, Motomom34 and sec_monkey like this.
  10. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

He did a GREAT job, very impressed. I think you have the record for Likes on your original post.

11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Ingenuity , workmanship , (y),,,,he's going to be a good craftsman. Or,,, Is, a good craftsman. :D

Gator 45/70, sec_monkey and Motomom34 like this.
  12. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

So when can I get one on E bay! Nice job.

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I mentioned to the boy that a few said he should put on a wood handle. He is thinking about installing one. He already has it figured out if he chooses to do that.

Tully Mars, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. He might try sacrificing part of a wooden sledge hammer handle for his shovel. only need a few inches and the sledge is still usable. Slice the handle lengthwise into two pieces. Sand the cuts sides smooth, and rivet or bolt it on.

Motomom34 likes this.
  15. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

draw sink on the handle , find a broken axe handle , use that .
    Sloth

I just had a shop day with the 4H kids of small engines up here.
    Jr80,ttr125 , 150crf150 ,quad 300 honda, 450 honda are the kids and there dads bikes , everyone had a job to do .
    Wife helped with beans for lunch and the BBQ was dogs and paddys ..
    age is 10-15 yo boys and girls ..
    NO eyes poked out , welding to gas tourches etc.
    Im the oldest in the crowd who still rides bikes & quads , CR500, Recon ,XL350 1976 , then the street screamers

Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  16. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

You're a good man @Cruisin Sloth it is great that you help/teach those kids. I bet you teach them useful skills.

Ganado likes this.
  17. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

I make sure the Dads or mum get to connect and get dirty hands (they clean up)) but the interaction of the parents and kids doing this with manners and respect .. We have some great kids , & there parents learn as well ..
    First to join the 4H small engines , YOU GET a FREE Analog Clock [​IMG]
    learn CLOCKWISE !!
    My real job is instructor for a major Auto Manufacture teaching Fiber and CAN,LIN,LAN,CIN commutations internal and external ..
    Sloth

Motomom34, Ganado and oldman11 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7