He Wanted a Gun

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Motomom34, Dec 13, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

First off, he needs to learn HOW to shoot a gun, before buying one! Most of us learned from our fathers, grandfathers or uncles, and some learned in the military. Very few people that have reached adulthood without learning to shoot will ever do so. The same goes for swimming or riding a bike. He just "wanted a magic talisman to ward off evil" is right, and with any luck it might have stayed in a drawer or closet for decades without being fired, but....

Gator 45/70, Motomom34, jim2 and 2 others like this.
  2. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

It will also stop good in its tracks too...guns are amoral...it's the morality of the wielder and their will and competency to do good or evil that will affect the outcome of the pressed trigger on a loaded firearm.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2022
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Dammit there Chello ,,, I'm impressed ,, you ,, as an anti republican ,, democrat leaning chap ,, I'm stunned to hear you say the same thing us republicans have been saying to all these gun grabbers ,,,, it's not the gun ,, it's the person holding the gun that makes it evil . Thats the thing these democrats fail to understand . You might be more like some of us than you think you are .

Welcome to the right side Sir ,,,

Gator 45/70 and Motomom34 like this.
  4. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The observation is apolitical, it is simply a fact...where those on both extremes of the political spectrum, and points in between differ is how one deals with that fact when an inanimate lethal object becomes animated via human (and occasionally by non human) intervention....I tend to err in favour of risk management and harm minimization.

SB21 and Dunerunner like this.
  5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

We need to not allow this to drift too far... All points so far are valid, Inteligent, well thought out and most agree that the advice MM gave the individual in the OP was on point.

6. snake6264

snake6264 Combat flip flop douchebag

If you are a gun owner which is your right. You also has the responsibility to know how and when to use it properly and proficiently.
    Being scared of anything is no reason to buy a weapon of any kind. You need to up your self awareness and and security. Gun play should be nearly the last choice and never when your scared. Fear is only in your head and it can be controlled and put to good use. Once you let your mind race and circle the drain its to late. We always trained with a flinch response and what we did was to train that at the flinch your hand went to the pistol. Not to duck and cover
    Food for thought and I think you always go with your gut its generally right

7. Dunerunner

That's it Sloth!! I'm freezing your bank account! All $6 of it!! [LMAO]

8. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Ya last time in USA (Nov 23 2022), Helping Vet move , I paid 8.50 cdn for a USG of fuel ..
    My exchange is 45-47 cents per USD,
    Vet is fine and i'm good,
    No worries SIR.
    Sloth

Dunerunner and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

A pair of Mrs. and Mrs. neighbors kept pestering me to sell them a gun for protection. Neither of them had any clue how to use one so I suggested they enroll in a firearms safety course at the local gun shop, try a few weapons, and make an intelligent decision. They responded that they didn't want a record of any firearms traced to them...duh...
    I was polite but explained to them that I wasn't about to let them have one of my firearms under any circumstances, especially that one. They didn't get my polite answer, just knew that I was an active collector and shooter. They haven't spoken to me since in the year or so since I explained it to them in terms that they couldn't help but understand.

GOG, oldawg, SB21 and 3 others like this.
  10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'd be extremely leery of any jack-legs wanting an untraceable firearm for oblivious reasons.
    1 or both possibly have big red X's trying to pass a 4473 form

GOG, oldawg, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  11. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I'll add my agreement to MMs decision. An untrained person with a firearm is a danger not only to themselves but those around them as well. You don't have to have in depth certified training courses just some one to show you how to handle one safely. I taught a lot of people to shoot but we spent some time, sometimes an hour, some times a day, just practicing safe handling before a live round was ever loaded.

GOG, mysterymet, Gator 45/70 and 2 others like this.
  12. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I. figure the answer MM is trying to decern, is answered by my families policy for firearms… When a child reaches the age of 12 years, they are allowed to pick a rifle from the catalog…Then when they pass the NRA Basic Marksmanship Program, the are allowed to keep their own ammunition… I fell the same would work for adults.. I have taught three generations using this Family Policy.. Never have had a single isssue with stupid firearms handling…

13. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

I would say that you missed a good opportunity that you can still correct. Have a conversation with him about your hesitancy...that "prepping" is equal parts preparing, state of mind, and practicing skill sets with the tools at hand. You could then go on to explain that if the only self-defense tool you have is a hammer, then every problem looks like a nail...I.E. having a gun without training, practice and an understanding of what constitutes self-defense and how to avoid having to use it is very, very important...and a skill you can't just pick up with a 30 min trip to the range once, or one 4 hr pistol fam class.

I'd talk to my friend about layered defense. Both home (strengthening entry points, eliminating blind spots, setting up cameras or lights as needed, and what type of locks to use. Then vehicle safety, and move onto personal safety...situational awareness, weapons you can use short of a firearm (pepper spray, keys, expanding batons, baseball bats, etc), and then a reasonal course of self-defense using short and long firearms practiced regularly.

One of the other things you can do is steer your friend to this website. He might even learn something!

Best wishes for 2023!

Gray Wolf and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I saw the thread title again this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was how quickly this could go bad.

He wanted a gun.
    He got a gun.
    Now he wants something else... and he has a gun.

Any way I look at it I think MM made the right choice.

15. kven

kven On Hiatus Banned

lots of us taught ourselves. Do you really believe that somebody taught Ed McGivern, Elmer Keith or Jeff Cooper much of anything, other than maybe some slowfire bullseye bs? What beginners should all get is a Beeman P9 pellet pistol for precision training and an airsoft like their intended ccw pistol for fast draw, ,snapshooting and rapidfire training. 1/2c per shot, not 40c, no range fee, no trip to the range. Train in your garage, back yard, storage unit, at the edge of town. Then get a 22 like your intended centerfire gun and save 30c per shot as you learn to handle a bit of noise . When you can toss up a soda can with your gun hand, draw and reliably hit that can in midair, with your airsoft, then get the .22. When you can reliably do the same with the 22, then, and only then, decide what centerfire pistol to buy. You'll save yourself a ton of time and money this way.

jim2, CraftyMofo and hot diggity like this.
  16. Andy the Aussie

Andy the Aussie Monkey+++ Founding Member

....well this does lay an excellent foundation for marksmanship. I mean drawing and getting off shots is all well and good however if they don't strike where they are suppose to then it is still an epic fail. I taught myself to shoot a rifle and then when I was a teen took up competitive handgun shooting (Olympic ISU style initially) that was a GREAT grounding in hitting what one is aiming at. Once I moved to more "practical matches" all of that grounding paid off as well. Once the Govt decided to start investing money in my training as an adult and furthering my career those early basics still put me leaps and bounds ahead of the game. I shot a .22 revolver LOTS (still have it - Colt Officers Model Match), normally around 500rounds of "a brick" in a sitting. Our range had a bunch of damaged concrete breeze blocks laying around so I would set one out at about 20yds and start turning it into smaller and smaller pieces. By the end of the brick it would be dust.

17. Dunerunner

I'm a much better pistol shot than I am with a rifle. I have found that a scope helps. There was little availability to practice shooting until I retired so I'm playing catch-up!

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  18. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The same is true with AlaskaChick.. She learned to shoot with a Pistol… After I taught her the basic Safety Skills, and FireArms handling criteria, we did an instructor swap, with a couple from our church. He was a Swat Instructor with a Major Metro Swat Group, and one of my Custom Ammunition Customers, and we both felt trying to teach our wives was doomed to failure, due to the extra baggage that relationship put in the way.. So I taught his wife basic Pistol Skillsets, and he taught AlaskaChick, when we did Double Dates to the Range.. She, turns out, is a crack shot with her stainless Dan Wesson with the 8” barrel mounted, clear out to 75 yds.. This in contrast to me learning to shoot a rifle from age 12, and shooting expert when I finished the NRA Marksmanship course at 13… I did not take up Pistol Craft till I was 20 and in college, out on the St Anthony Sand Dunes with my Roommates .22 Single Action.. The first Pistol I ever owned was my Colt Pocket 1903 38ACP Hammered, that I traded a 10# box of Cherries, and a 10# Watermelon for, with a customer in Dillingham, Alaska.. It was in early Spring, and that fruit was worth it is weight in Gold, a month before the first barge from the lower 48, made it in with spring supplies… That pistol is still in the family, and will be lent to the Wild Bill FireArms Museum in Cody, Wyoming by my family, for display in their Colt FireArms Collection, there, by my son, upon my death….My family will retain ownership, but it will fill that nitch in their Colt Pistol Collection….

Gator 45/70, SB21, CraftyMofo and 2 others like this.
  19. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

Uncle sugar taught me to shoot a rifle so I am much more comfortable shooting a rifle. He didn’t care about me shooting a hand gun until I became a SNCO.

20. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Do these people have any interest in guns now that Democrat run hellholes aren't on fire from one end to the other as part of some clearly coordinated attack?

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  1. Illini Warrior
  2. Prepper12
  3. Grandpa Patch
  4. Ganado
  5. HK_User
  6. oil pan 4
  7. arleigh
  8. Meat
  9. Thunder5Ranch
  10. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary