Headaches with new AK

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by captain_nasty, Sep 27, 2010.

1. captain_nasty

captain_nasty Monkey+

The AK is a Romanian SAR-1 and I'm having a bitch of a time putting on a new forearm. The wood on the upper half covering the gas tube doesn't want to rotate out. I'm thinking the inconsistent weather here in Ohio has something to do with it. When a part is described as "drop-in", I take that to mean "you will be dicking with this part for several hours before it will fit properly". I'm afraid that I'm going to have to cut out the crappy old wood out of there with a saw and then try to pry it out with a screwdriver or something. I don't honestly care though, it's just that the whole thing is taking so long as I only have a few basic tools. Any insight would most appreciated, guys.

2. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Our resident AK experts (E.L. and Magnus392) would be the ones to help.

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's pretty easy as I remember, no twisting or turning involved. If E.L. or mags don't turn up, I'll dig mine out and try to remember. I think there is a pin to drive out and it all falls apart. (Disassembled mine 4 years ago, and much is lost in the memory department. Finally got the front trunnion off last week, and I can start the build.)

Update - Had a looksee at the bones of mine. Look on the right side of the front lower handguard retainer on the barrel, you should see a lever down in a slot on the right side. Rotate that forward, and front handguard retainer plate can be slid forward. The upper should go with it. (Been wrong before ---)

4. captain_nasty

captain_nasty Monkey+

Magnus gave me a detailed description of how to do this in a PM he sent me. I was able to get the bottom forearm on but getting the gas tube out was giving me some headaches. Thanks for all the help guys.

5. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

gunkidelite5ko-1.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7