health and wellness ... your thoughts ?

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Homunculi, Jun 6, 2018.

1. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

as i have been on BP meds since 2012 ... had a lot of bad things going on ... could not keep warm .. and side effects of the meds they put me on ... well since i have taken on this FT job and the contracting has slowed down .. i keep very busy and on the move constantly ... went from a grand total of 230+ to 190 .. since may of last year .. and if i take my BP meds when people shake my hadn they ask " are you alive? " .. so i ran out of meds ... been checking the BP daily or on a every 3rd day basis ... looks good ... a few points high or low ... (high if i had a cig) normal or a point or 2 low when i have not ...
    the quack wants me to come in for testing .. blood work and all kind of other crap ... i am not feeling bad .. or sick ... just sick of being poked and prodded on ... jut to get the meds they say i need .. this trend has been working for me for the past 2 1/2 months ... (i need to buy new pants if the weight is going to stay off .... the shirts feel like a tent .. but i can live with that ... what are your thoughts ? stay on the path i am on ... or see the money grubbing quack that keeps billing me for mandatory office visits o_O

Asia-Off-Grid, Dunerunner and Zimmy like this.
  2. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

My wife has a similar situation with her bp. But with her other meds, her bp meds have to be adjusted...and this requires blood tests.

Yeah, it's a bit expensive, but it beats dying...and I'm kinda partial to her.

oldawg, Yard Dart, Ganado and 5 others like this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Stay on your path. 120/60 is the new bullshit high blood pressure standard.

That was goal of perfection back in the day.

I recently lost 50 pounds and was able to ditch my low grade BP meds. The side effect was weight gain. Go figure.

I believe 75% of obese Americans could fix it by drinking 65% of their body weight in ounces like I have.

Ganado and techsar like this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Drinking water? Congrats on the weight loss and getting off the meds.

@Homunculi what Tech said is correct. It is better then dying. If you can get medical help then do it. High blood pressure can lead to a lot of issues including stroke. I do not think you want to end up being a burden to your family.

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

H, you are asking medical advice from non medical people. To my mind, your best source of info is in your fave quack's office, or a second opinion. Monkeys are sympathetic and well meaning, but, well, you get it. Advice is worth what you pay for it.

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I'm not a Doctor, but I did stay in a Holliday Inn once or twice. That said, continue taking your BP and recording it in a notebook. Make an appointment to see your favorite practicing doctor and get their opinion. Just one more member offering good advise...:rolleyes:

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

X2 what Ghrit said. Although I have known 1 or 2 people that have dropped their blood pressure , and blood sugar , just by losing a little weight and changing their diet.
    I'm not a fan of having to take pills on a daily basis , luckily , I'm healthy enough were I don't have to , but it can't hurt to see the doc and see what he could offer you in case your blood pressure drops or spikes in an emergency if you continue on your own doctoring skills. Just my 2 cents worth here , but don't bet your life on what I've said here.

8. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

as i am no doc as well ... after my bout with H-pylori i cannot trust a medical practice ... as they fed me proton inhibitors ... verses fixing the problem .... for 3 + years of scripts and office visits ,,,, very very not willing to trust them with anything else to keep me locked into a life long scipt they make $$$$$ off off

would rather join MG than take the poisons they want to dish out ....

9. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Trust is one thing, cost is another, and visit to the ER will get you the advise and the expense you don't want. If you are paying your doctor out of pocket, find one you can trust. There are plenty of online services that rate doctors. Just type "Find a Doctor" into your web browser search box and hit enter.

10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I think u have to do what works for you. I had to get on hormone therapy in my early 40's then I got off of it for a few years and was fine. Now that I want to kill people again it's probably time to go to the Dr and get some tests. :ROFLMAO::p

Tests are static measures or a snapshot of where you health is at the moment they take the test. Your body constantly changes. If I go to the Dr at 7am they make me walk around the office so they can find my blood pressure. If I go at 6pm at night they tell me my BP is a bit high. As in life, timing is everything!

Get tests if you can afford them and decide for yourself, it's your life.

Yard Dart and Dunerunner like this.
  11. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Another - not-a-doctor. But, I have heard from medical professionals that weight loss can produce positive results for lowering blood pressure. Continue on your path, but see a medical professional before discontinuing your medications completely. That's my best advice.

New sig! :)

12. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

A heart attack means you don't work as you recover for months or a year or never again, depending on the severity and damage done to the heart muscle. Or just dead

A stroke could leave you not working ever again and living in a nursing home being fed through a tube in your stomach and being totally dependent on others to meet your physical needs. Or just dead!

You chose the Doc and if he isn't providing the care you believe you should be receiving, find another.. The fact you have lost weight and your BP has come down says a great deal and should be reported to the Md and further evaluation for continued need for medications would be prudent.. Keep a log of your BP 3 or 4 times a day and take that information in to the doc..

13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

Absolutely. I purchased a BP testing machine several years ago. I use it frequently, to keep track of my blood pressure.

14. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    I know what you mean as far as wanting to “ off some of these F’er’s “. This kind of reflects back to an earlier thread here about ,, basically dumb people, and the universes natural selection. If they would just Darwin run his course ,,,then we might have less tendencies to off them F’ers. ;)

Ganado likes this.
  15. Homunculi

Homunculi Monkey++

yes and no .... when i have been on the meds after losing the weight ... my hands and feet are cold and clammy ... even in 70+ degree weather ...
    i am not a fan of dr's who do nothing but push what big pharma wants ... as i have talked with several dr's some live by the thumb of big pharma ... the ones that do not ... seem not to stay in practice for long ..
    as i went through a couple of bouts with H-pylori .. the dr's the fed me nexium and prylosec jut seemed to keep writing those scripts .. getting an office visit ... and kick backs for doing so ...
    the dr that really helped with a drug battery that ended all the problems with H-pylori closed up his office within 3 years ... have not seen or heard from him since ...
    just seems strange the new meds that come out to treat one problem ... in the commercials have a list of side effects that make living with one problem look like a walk in the park ....

16. SoaySheep

SoaySheep Monkey

I am a doctor. If you consider the doctor that you had been seeing as a quack, then get a new doctor. Just like some doctors are quacks, some lawyers are shysters, some accountants are bean counters, etc. Not everyone is good at their job.

That said, losing 40 pounds can get a lot of people healthier to the point of maybe stopping BP meds. I can't say that's the case for you since I haven't examined you and don't know what meds you were taking and why, but from what you've written it sounds promising. The thing people, and many doctors for that matter, don't understand is that high BP is a symptom, not a disease. If your BP was high from being overweight (a common thing) and now you aren't then stopping the meds is appropriate. If it was high because of something else then you may be leaving something untreated.

Low blood pressure can do that, but you'd need to actually see someone to see if that is the reason. There are a lot of things that also might do that ranging from immunosuppression to hypothyroidism. That's not something that can be diagnosed on the internet

That's because the ads are not only to sell meds, but to protect the drug companies. Anything that happens during a drug trial will get reported as a potential side effect, so don't be surprised if they start listing possible alien abduction as a side effect. There is no substitute for a face to face meeting with a competent physician

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2018
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7