Agriculture Heating greenhouse with manure / compost

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by DKR, Oct 2, 2020.

1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

First, a couple of videos

(very large scale for a large production greenhouse)

another large set up

smaller scale

smaller set up (northern tier)

'hot' compost - like chicken droppings

more to follow

Ganado, RightHand and ditch witch like this.
  2. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

I'd been looking at those as well, thinking I might try the thermal exchange with the compost pile and airflow pipe running under it and back into the greenhouse. It was the only passive heat exchange I'd seen that worked even when the sun wasn't out and didn't take up a ton of space inside.

Ganado and DKR like this.
  3. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Depending on the size of the pile, they can take up quite some space, assuming you don't go vertical.

Some of my neighbors would have a fit - these piles are not exactly Art, eh?

You can use the compost heap to hold your planting frames

for a hoop-house that would be more acceptable for most Urban settings. Again, this could hold a large compost pile with added benefit of standup gardening.

ditch witch likes this.
  4. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

there is a guy in michgan that has a whole commercial operation using heat exchange from manure and compost... i think its under the greenhouse thread somewhere

DKR likes this.
  5. ditch witch

ditch witch I do stupid crap, so you don't have to

Yabbut it's outside the greenhouse where I have plenty of room, as opposed to inside like using water barrels for thermal mass. I was thinking to dig into the ground about 2 ft to take advantage of the ground insulating the sides of the pile. There's a video out there somewhere where the guy runs the numbers on heat for a 100% above ground pile vs one that extends a few feet below surface and it's a pretty big difference. Lemme see if I can find it...

Ahh here it is..

DKR likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7