Heavy Duty Space Blanket

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by mtbkski, Jul 2, 2009.

1. mtbkski

mtbkski Monkey++

I initially purchased these to place on the ends of my Pop-Up camper as a sun reflector to help keep my camper stay cool. Once I got them, I realized that they were an excellent item for my B.O.B.

These are 5 x 7 sized spaced blankets, that are very heavy duty. But more important, they are not the cheap things you buy at Wal-Mart for $2 that are light and flimsy and noisy as heck. Mine have survived repeated beatings in downpours and high winds strapped to the pop-outs of my camper. There are grommet holes on all four corners and along the edges. This makes it easy to secure the tarp down or to make some type of shelter out of it.

One side of the space blanket is colored. You can get bright colors that would help in signaling and spotting you. Or, you can get one in OD green which is what I have. I figure if I want to signal someone, I'll use the shiny side of the blanket or my signal mirror.

The other side is the shiny stuff that is designed to reflect your body heat back to you if you would wrap up in it. Being heavy duty, you could wrap up in it during a rain storm, and walk thru the woods without fear of it being torn to shreds like the light weight blankets that most people have. Not only would it reflect body heat, but it will act as a great rain and wind shelter.

If you build a shelter out of it. By putting the shiny side down toward you, it should also reflect heat from your fire back to you helping to keep you warm. Being 5 x 7 in size, you could build a nice shelter and still use a section for ground cover if you are by yourself.

Don't let the size and weight scare you. It isn't that heavy and what weight it does have, it more than makes up for it with it's strength, size, and multitude of uses. I highly recommend these blankets. I have one in each B.O.B. One in each car as an extra protection if we would get stuck and have to spend the night in a car that won't run and the temps are dropping fast.
    [​IMG]

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

COOL, thanks for the review. Where did you get them? (or did I just not see it listed?)

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Same question. Want three. House, vehicle, and stash.

4. kckndrgn

5. ghrit

Never heard of the company, but that means little. Has anyone on SM done business with them?

6. mtbkski

mtbkski Monkey++

I found mine on Ebay. Some store on there selling them. I believe that Cablelas carries them too.

I now have two in each B.O.B. Since I most likely will have the family with me. One makes a great shelter, and the other one I can use as a ground cloth.

7. ghrit

Ordered today from Ben's. Least price for what looks like the same thing after poking around a couple other sites for comparo.

8. ghrit

Got 'em today. Will report after I shake one out. Ben's is prompt, I'll do business with them again.

9. mtbkski

mtbkski Monkey++

Hope you like it. I know I'm happy with them.

10. PapaSasquatch

PapaSasquatch Monkey++

These sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the review because I had seen these and didn't know yet if they'd be like all the other trash mylar out there that tares with the slightest breeze. I'm hoping there will some day be one that's like a wool army blanket with a mylar sheet attached..or, the wife and I had discussed making our own thing using two army blankets (wool is the best heat retention material for the buck) and stitching a mylar blanket or two in between them.

The search and rescue team I'm part of is organizing a group buy of these blizzard bags for when we get call outs to find wayward hunters/hikers who get stranded on snowy cliffsides and we need to prevent hypothermia while waiting for a life-flight litter or a team to repel/ascend to rescue them..which can take hours when minutes count.

11. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I got mine locally from the "sportsmans warehouse".
    Seem to be quite suited for LOT OF PURPOSES.
    I paid about $6.99 each, got 6 for the "family".....

12. fwilliam1

fwilliam1 Monkey++

Very helpful information. Thanks guys.

13. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

I have an OD green one that I use in the BOB. It really is lightweight and rugged, which is perfect for a lean-to or an extra blanket and tarp. Excellent product. I got mine from an AAFES while stationed in Germany.

14. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'd really like to find some OLD (70's issued) poncho's, and have a wool blanket sewn into it! Those worked well in Germany in -40 weather!

15. ghrit

You can get a serviceable poncho from the local Boy Scout shoppe. And if you are lucky, you can find a friendly Mexican that can point you in the right direction for a real wool serape which might be just the right size to sew into the poncho.

16. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I made the mistake of NOT reading completely before buying...
    I bought a dozen of those "NEW" emergency blankets, only to find out they cannot be washed, or dry cleaned...
    They fall apart!

17. kckndrgn

What "NEW" blankets, the ones discussed here in this thread or a different one?

Thanks

18. Prepper Man

Prepper Man Monkey+

Could you use these as a ground sheet under sleeping pad/bag on a cold night?

PM

19. ghrit

Yes. They won't do too well for heat transfer since they depend on free space for reflectance, but should do for moisture.

20. XR750

XR750 Monkey+

If you use them for a blanket you get a lot of condisation in them. I like a poncho and poncho liner.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7