Heirloom seeds and your neighbors..

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by TheJackBull, Feb 19, 2016.

?

Do you grow GMO free or heirloom

Poll closed Mar 4, 2016.
  1. yes

87.5%
  2. no

12.5%
  3. not sure

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. TheJackBull

TheJackBull Monkey+++

so I'm getting ready to do my first Organic, non-GMO, Heirloom seed vegetable garden this year.
    it will be about half an acre. but I do have some other neighbors that grow gardens and wander if anyone here has run into problems with crossing breeds and loosing the Heirloom ability or saw a decline in germination rates that sort of thing.
    we keep Bees and they are sure to cross pollinate with every plant for some miles around us but will this be a noticeable problem for trying to go GMO free and Heirloom?
    we have just about got all the Neonicotinoids out of the area so that should stop killing the bees, but plants many people pick up from the local nurseries are sprayed with poisons and fertilizers and all sorts of stuff.
    whats a guy to do?

just a little fyi
    http://www.globalresearch.ca/death-and-extinction-of-the-bees/5375684

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yes, i actually grow a mix of heirloom and hybrids.

I try to keep my tomatoes heirloom, so that I can harvest seeds for the next crop. While I do have heirloom seeds for peppers (sweet & hot) I usually end up growing hybrids due to various reasons.

Seepalaces and chelloveck like this.
  3. pearlselby

pearlselby Monkey++

On one of these threads, someone cut down their green bells and re- grew them every year and they just get bigger. There is a peppers help thread and I think it is there.

I bet @Motomom34 knows exactly which one

Ganado, Seepalaces and chelloveck like this.
  4. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Yup, peppers are perennials not annuals. They just usually get killed by the frost/freeze during the winter.

Seepalaces likes this.
  5. azrancher

azrancher Monkey +++

I've had Jalapenos live throughout the Winter of no less than 20*F, but up next to the house.

Rancher

6. NVBeav

NVBeav Monkey+++

It's difficult to be completely free of GMO-tainted cross fertilization. Perhaps you could share some seeds with your neighbors to avoid some of it. You could cover some of the flowers with a paper bag and hand-pollenate to ensure a pure breed for next year's seeds (I've seen that with corn, but I'm sure other plants can be done that way too).

I don't think all hybrid seeds are from GMO plants but it's hard to know how big the subset is. My preference is to order non-GMO seeds -- which may have hybrid strains. Probably need to bug someone who works in this field to get a good explanation.

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

in all honesty your own garden will cross pollinate your seeds if you don't take precautions.

So if you are seed saving and want 'pure strains' then you need to keep the bees and insects off and hand pollinate.

I don't worry about hybrids I just grow and let my seeds drop and reseed. OR I just buy new seeds every year. There are some seeds I exchange with others that I keep 'pure' but that is a whole other way to garden.

GMO are genetically modified seeds
    hybrids are the traditional way of cross breeding plants to get better plant characteristics.
    Heirlooms - these are old varieties that many hybrids come from.

the silly part of all these that all heirlooms are a hybrid at one point ... someone crossed plants until they got the taste, color or yields they wanted.

I just got seeds for a type of sorrel (spinach) from Macedonia that I have been trying to get for 5 years its called 'Kiselecs' pronounce 'Key cell ets'

its used in spanokopia and its a leaf lettuce spinach cross. I think is like a sorrel (here are links to some recipes
    Macedonian Pie Of Greens And Cheese Recipe
    Rustic Sorrel Omelette (Kiselec so Jaca) | Village Feast

i love this kind of thing, finding obscure types of plants

Gardening depends on what your goals are. I love good food with great taste and weird plants.

Suggestion if I may? Don't plant a whole half acre in a garden. You will exhaust yourself. Start small and mix up with interplanting like marigolds and garlic to off set bugs etc.

1. Alanaana
  2. Alanaana
    Media

Avocado_tree

Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  3. Alanaana
    I love the end of summer.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Sep 16, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Jun 10, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Alanaana
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 25, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  6. Alanaana
    Smells heavenly
  7. Alanaana
    Avocadoes
  8. Alanaana
  9. Alanaana
    I think it's 20lbs!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  10. Alanaana
    Is coffee better than bananas?
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 13, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  11. Alanaana
  12. Alanaana
  13. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  14. Alanaana
  15. Alanaana
  16. Alanaana
    Media

Jungle Vibes

This is the driveway at the front of my property.
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 26, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  17. Alanaana
  18. Dunerunner
  19. Dunerunner
  20. Dunerunner
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7