Hello to ya'll

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by CrazySingleMom, Sep 13, 2010.

1. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

Tracy,
    Yes, thats what I do already ... buy in bulk along with several other members of my church. Its kinda like a co-op only we normally don't split stuff up or anything like that. I have 25lbs each of rice/rice-flour/oats/buckwheat-flour sitting on my floor waiting to be put up now. Gonna repack most of it into 1gal plastic containers and stick in my deep freeze. Potato flour only comes in 5lb sacks so its going to be slower but I love using the stuff! Also been buying a few extra cans of stuff we use here and there.
    Other then that been working mostly on setting up BOBs for us all. Also for camping survival, as we plan to start camping trips as soon as I can afford to get all the gear needed. Been having a blast so far preparing.
    Thanks for the welcome and helpful tips!

Bane,
    Without wheat to grind, what would a grain grinder do for me? I didn't even think of a meat grinder ... that might be good ... thanks :D

~R

2. bnmb

bnmb On Hiatus Banned

Wheat is not the only think you could grind with it...any type of seeds can be grinded..

3. horology

horology Monkey+

Welcome

Welcome to the forum

Peace
    Dan

4. hsapientia

hsapientia Monkey++

Greetings, and 'Hello'.
    My own start was with meager funds too. Since I already self trained the all important $ savings (Payme 1st), I decided to do something close with Foodstuffs. I created my ‘2fer Closet’. Food Items liked, needed, used, wanted, havetohaves etc. I get one, store it but add a ‘price for use’. I MUST PAYBACK 2 for 1, for ANY item used, for ANY reason. No Exceptions!
    Does it work? 1st cupboard became two. Bought 7’ standalone Cupboard. next, moved into free closet. I’m filing my 3rd. The only ‘mistake’? Since I ONLY buy long dated items 2012-2013 etc and Sharpie date of purchase, seems my forethought was lacking. I had to fetch mucho cardboard flats and buy shrinkwrap applicator. ‘Just in case’ of rapid relocation. Hope my ‘ten cents’ helps out.
    Peace.

5. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

CSM, sounds like you are right where you need to be.
    Better to have started than be filled with complacency and never start.
    A little at a time you will find those things that you need, start small. One day a little hand crank grinder that will do "in a pinch" and then when your other preps are balanced out you can buy a bigger one.

best advise I have is to keep a small amount of cash aside for when you find a good deal on something.
    always try to save more than you spend and you will have some rainy day money too.
    Easier said than done sometimes.

There was a time that I felt as you do towards firearms ownership, then I went to the range with a good friend and now...well, suffice to say that I own a firearm...or 2

Just went hunting for my first time the other day. Shot and ate our families first grouse and have been shooting handgun as a sport a little bit too. I ended up liking the discipline of the sport and it was quite encouraging to learn a new skill set.
    And my teenage daughter quite likes it too!!
    I would love to be a fly on the wall when she starts dating and tells the boy she is a crack shot...lol

The learning curve is rather large at times for all this info. I find that sometimes I need a break so find something constructive to do that is not prepping related, but I never get that nagging feeling out of the back of my mind that there are a few more things I could be doing.

Awesome for you that you will raise little productive people who will be concerned with how to look after themselves rather than how to get looked after.

I have been greatly helped just by the amount of reading I do here and a few other sites. I feel bad I do not contribute as much but then in time, I may have something worth contributing.

Blessings,

6. CrazySingleMom

CrazySingleMom Monkey+

I am glad that my kiddos will at least be aware, and see the wisdom is doing some preparation for the future. Maybe someday they will be able to help other too ;)

I don't have anything against owning a gun, other then the danger it poses with children around (yes they can be taught but they are SO impulsive at times) I am just against using them as defense against another human being. I would have no issue with hunting, or using one to protect myself and mine against animals.

I do have some in savings, but also need to take care of some big ticket issues soon so deciding what to do first is the problem there. (replacing my old old old glasses are nearing the top of the priority list in a hurry). We live within our means, just don't have a lot extra. I am concentrating on food this month, and slowly getting BOBs set up for us as well. I just put away 25# of rice and 25# of oats today, most of it going into the deep freeze. Have 75# of flour to work on still sitting on my floor in 25# sacks ... :D

I have been enjoying reading this and a few other sites, as well as watching every show (like Dual Survival & The Colony) that I can find online (no TV in the house) that shows how to deal with issues that might come up some day.

~R

7. SurvivetheBlast

SurvivetheBlast Monkey+

Fantastic to meet other Moms on here interested in Preparedness! I think it is even more important to be thinking about preparedness when you are a single Mom of three. You have so much to handle-- you have to plan in advance! I have two little ones my self and I always have to make time to revisit my emergency preparation arrangements.
    Anyway, I just joined this site too-- so I look forward to meeting more people like you!

8. SurvivetheBlast

SurvivetheBlast Monkey+

I love the quote:
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

Lately, I have been using: DON'T BE SCARED. BE PREPARED.
    I like how it emphasizes being PROACTIVE and on the offense when it comes to preparing for the worst. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7