Help Identify Model

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Seacowboys, Jan 18, 2017.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a .45-70 line launching gun that needs a firing pin. They were made from a hammerles single barrel shotgun by either H&R, Remington, or Savage. There are no identifying marks other that serial number and a Naval Company stamp. The firing pin is missing, so I can't make another because I don't know the configuration. It also needs a new safety. 20170117_105518. 20170117_105506.

2. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Looks like a savage model 94 20 Gage or 12 Gage action

3. sec_monkey

sec_monkey SM Security Administrator

4. Seacowboys

Looking at a Savage 94 schematic, it appears to have an external hammer, though the receiver is contoured the same. Savage 94 Exploded Views

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2017
    sec_monkey likes this.
  6. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Not so fast, A.H. Fox were also known to build these and they were then sold/supplied under the Savage brand! may or may not use the same parts. Look for place of manufacture, it it's Louisiana it's a Fox!

sec_monkey likes this.
  7. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

sec_monkey likes this.
  8. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

sec_monkey likes this.
  9. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

The receiver is a Savage. Can't tell you what model right off, but classic Savage design.

10. Seacowboys

I speak with Beth at Naval Company once in a while, I sent them pictures of this one along with the serial number and they are trying to help but no luck so far. They offered to trade me a new one for this one several years ago, but I declined. It is probably either a Savage or H&R, manufacture, given the age, according to Naval Company but could possibly be a Remington manufacture or a New England Arms. They do not sell parts for the launcher themselves, only the blanks, rods, lines, canisters, etc.

Ura-Ki and sec_monkey like this.
  11. Seacowboys

It has the stock contours at the receiver that was common on Savage and Stevens (also made by Savage) weapons but the two drift pins are above one another and every Savage I can find, they are 45 degrees from each other, the lower pin being closer to the stock. Also, the maing point between the stock and receiver seem to be much more elongated on the Savages.

It's a Savage 219B apparently, Numrich has a schematic and they do have a firing pin in stock for it. They also have the safety and the firing pin screw for serial numbers under 15000

Last edited: Jan 18, 2017
    Yard Dart, Gator 45/70, ghrit and 3 others like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Might check with our fellow monkey Velzey, he is quite a competent Gun Smith and has been known to have or have access to very hard to find parts! Worst case, He could make something! He did a broken sear replacement on my old Savage Anschutz semi auto, and that had ZERO part available for it, works as good as new!

13. Seacowboys

I am a decent gunsmith myself, but not knowing what the part looks like sort of makes it hard to make.

Ura-Ki and VisuTrac like this.
  14. Seacowboys

Apparently, I can buy both shotgun and rifle barrels in several calibers for this gun at Numrich.,

Last edited: Jan 19, 2017
    Ura-Ki likes this.
  15. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

it is not a savage 94. @Seacowboys gun is hammerless, not so the savage model 94. also the safety location and the 2 receiver pins differ in location.

16. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Excellent job tracking down the Make and Model Sea. hope you can get all you need to put it back together.

17. Seacowboys

Parts already ordered, should be here by the weekend.

18. Seacowboys

I am enjoying picking on some libs on facebook about the the lyrics to a Kristofferson song, I said Bobby Magee was a cynical dick and that started it so I asked about that harpoon in the handkerchief, assuming it wasn't a spear for whale hunting or walrus then it occured to me that this line launcher will probably do double duty and shoot harpoons.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  19. Seacowboys

Got this email back from Dave at the Naval Company, confirming my correct guess about the make and model.
    Darrell,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you. I found your gun serial # in one of our old record books. It was shipped to one of our dealers on 5-31-66. It was manufactured in 1965 or 1966 by Savage. The invoices from Savage refer to these guns as “Model 219 45/70”. That’s all I got. I hope this helps you. Good luck!

Dave

David Niederriter

NAVAL COMPANY INC

Doylestown, PA 18902

Tel: 215-348-8982

Fax: 215-348-5637

sales@navalcompany.com

www.navalcompany.com

[​IMG]

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 1:00 PM
    To: sales@navalcompany.com
    Subject: Trying to identify manufacturer

I need to find a replacement firing pin and safety

Sent via the Samsung Galaxy S7 active, an AT&T 4G LTE smartphone

20. Seacowboys

Got my safety and firing pin in today from Numrich, fired one blank round to annoy the neighbors. I dropped what is probably a bb that detents the new safety selector but since I have some other parts to order on a couple more projects, I'll just get another. Found a .30-30 barrel for it on ebay and the stock is a good fit for an old Greener double barrel I am rebuilding. I want to find a .22 hornet barrel for it, the trigger and action are unbelievable. 20170123_222948.

Ganado, BTPost and ghrit like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7