Help , I've got no spine....

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Tango3, Jan 5, 2007.

1. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Replaced my 16 year olds vehicle last night with a 92 civic.. old cheap kids car. but it needed brakes done so we haggled that out of the price, I sent her to midas today for a complete brake job, Seems they (midas) broke bolts off in the caliper frame, So they are scrambling to find parts... we're supposed tocall around noon tomorrow to check status on the car,

Anyway its got 135,000 on it, they can't fix it as I would ( drill it out, easy out, clean up threads with a tap, install new hardware;. because of "brake liability issues".) I understand their position ( my personal character weakness), but how much should I be paying for replacement parts they broke?? Should they assume these costs? What would you do??

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You shouldn't have to pay for anything THEY broke. They should make it right, whatever it takes, at their cost.

Trust the Midas touch?

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Thanksman, man that's what I thought, they told her "its not gonna cost too much more on top of the brakejob... she called home alittle upset....Think I'll go with her tomorrowto get it, not say anything, they probably won't even bring it up...

Just checking, been takin' it like everybody else in this country for so long, I figure its always partially my fault..( what ever it is)

4. Brook

Brook Monkey+++

could buying your child an old used car be considered child endangerment? well that is what my daughter said! she is driving my VW bus! that is if she wants to drive!

brook

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Why? I buy myself old used cars.
    Right then, " You got two feets! your choice", we are providing this for now...

Mines' alittle "uppity at times but she likes old used cars...

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

50 cents to a bag of doughnuts, you'll get charged for the parts and labor. Reason is that they had nothing to do with the earlier maintenance. (which, had it been done, would have prevented the breakage.) Then again, a competent mechanic wouldn't have broken them trying to take them out, they would have done it right. Force is the refuge of the incompetent. (But if all else fails, it works.)

My experiences with Midas and similar places like Jiffylube have all been exceedingly unsat. That is why I do my own work, I know it's right when I'm done. (And I do NOT break things.)

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

See what hapens I can justify it either way...though I think he was alittle hamfisted...

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I would have to say that unless they can show you a reason why it wasnt their fault, like say the bolts were rusted through or welded in or some other dammage prior tothem getting aholdof it, that they should be responsible for it or at the VERY least simply to maintain customer relations should give you the parts at their cost (NOT retail) and not charge for any labor beyond the initial job requested.

9. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I had a crash course in dealing with Car Salesmen, and people like "Midas" after my divorce 11 yrs ago....One of my best friends father is a car salesman..and he told me they really do try to pull fast ones on women coming in, or anyone that even hesitates....I walked out of more than one place when buying a car or having work done on it.....Last time my
    "Ck Engine" light came on..a Honda dealership told me I needed a $800 catalytic converter or my car would stop running in 10,000 miles.....(That was 30,000 miles ago....) I found a mechanic that listened to me..and knew I was going to walk out...It was pretty simple what was really wrong..

Stand your ground...firmly...They may not eat all the costs, but some of them...

and when my daughter was 16 I bought her a used Civic...and told her she would drive that car until she was out of College and could buy her own car...she took very good care of it, and even though she is a Senior this year, she bought a 2006 Camry and is establishing her own credit and taking responsibility for all the maintenance being done, etc......

(and it was soooooo nice to not have to haul her around to cheerleading, track, the ballpark, etc......!!! I kind of felt funny just giving her a car, as nothing was given to me....but dang..I needed a life outside work and taking her places!!)

10. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

That's where i'm at "c": "taxidad" suks...
    She got an eye opener yesterdayand was righteously indignant...
    She dropped it off the guys took her back showed her the bad rotors and pads,
    after the boyfriend showed up to wait with her they took 'em both back to show'em the new problem,
    BUT they talked only to the boyfriend!! I had to explain this dunderheadded reality and Almost convinced her to go to tech college for automotive..she's got a talent for it.

11. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Ended up the head mechanic dude ( probably franchise owner) came in this A.m., drill'ed them out, cleaned it up with a tap....bagged us for an addtional $15.00, I didn't fuss for $15( there's that invertebrate thing workin again). now she's delivering herself to school /work I ususally do all my own work but I figured they could "turn down" the rotors on the car.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7