Help me build new Solar System

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by MountainMariner, Dec 6, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

@Cruisin Sloth I agree with what you are saying. The area that would be good to place a panel on is below the eaves. I have thought about how far I could slant the bottom. I can't do too much of a slant because I do not want the water/ice and snow collecting on the panel. I have 17" from house to drip line. I know the panel will be taking a few of those inches so I cannot tip too much. The only other place would be the shed that has a nice roof, gets sun but if I wanted to bring that power into the house, I would have to run cords.

2. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Thanks for the response, you are correct that I was confusing CCA with amp hours storage. I have pulled the request and will pursue more information locally.

3. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Thanks...
    Thanks...and I tend to react poorly to some things.

They are "Marine deep cycle" and actually list both CCA and Ah on the docs, but you have actually motivated me to do more research and I believe I need different/better suited batteries for my purpose in the end...if I find it useful. For now I am just interested in seeing if a basic system on a portable tripod mount (because the direction to park for best efficiency is not always the direction for the best view...and I have somewhat different priorities than most) will meet my very limited needs in the desert. Next week, I will be in an area where I know a number of people who use solar systems almost exclusively on their RVs and where there is also a good source for panels and controllers at good prices...there is no reason for me to further hijack this thread.

4. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Update. Bought a Midnight Solar MPPT KID charge controller and four new 6 volt batteries. Next helicopter ride will take 4 more batteries and 6 60 watt panels. I'll end up having 8 60 watt panels vs just the two I have now. (There was little to no math involved in this decision. I basically mediated and the gods told me 8 & 8.) lol.

Sloth... I may need some of your advice during the install. I'll post my stupid questions here so other amateur electricians can prevent fires, sparks and general mayhem.

5. MountainMariner

Would anyone happen to know the charging data for a Deka GC25 6v golf cart battery? Absorb and float data?

6. MountainMariner

Thanks Midnight Solar...your QC stinks. You going to fly a helicopter out here and fix the problem? There is no screw in the battery out negative.

[​IMG]

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  1. Navyair
  2. Cwmoore
  3. CrazyJs
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. Asia-Off-Grid
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid