Help me justify getting a solar charger

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Prepper12, Aug 17, 2021.

1. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

With the current people we have in charge, that wouldn't happen, and I'm sure they realize that too.

2. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

China appears to have hundreds of land based lunch nuclear weapons.
    We have thousands, they can launch from land, sea, below the sea and air, they're bigger and everyone knows they work.

3. jimLE

jimLE Monkey+++

4. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Flashfish Portable Solar Power Station, foldable solar panel , Solar Generator with AC and DC output, Backup Battery Pack Power Supply for CPAP Outdoor Advanture Load Trip Camping Emergency This is a good battery back up/inverter set up. Can use solar to charge it as well. I use one of these to power a digital photo frame at college fairs where power might not be readily available. It is about the size of a large paperback. It has two USB ports, plus a 12v power out and 110v power out set up.

I also keep several 5 to 12,000 watt batteries set up to charge anything with USB ports.

5. Prepper12

Prepper12 Monkey+

I ended up getting the Nektech 21 watt solar charger and a Tenergy 4AA battery charger. Just got them yesterday and have been doing some interesting experiments with interesting results. I'm surprised how well it can do without actually being in the sun, but in the shade, or under cloud cover. I was able to charge my phone (which has a 2100mah battery) 4% in 25 minutes under the clouds, and 15% in 18 minutes under the sun. So even under cloud cover, I could get 80% charge in 9 hours.

As for using the Tenergy 4AA charger with it, I can especially get good results under cloud cover when only 1AA battery is inserted. The charge level seems to rocket upward even without direct sunlight. The display on the charger does strange things when the solar panels aren't under direct sunlight, so I'm not sure what's going on there. Writing to the company didn't get me a reply. But even with the display acting up, the battery still charges at a rather impressive rate without direct sunlight. That makes these solar panels far more reliable of an emergency power source if the grid went down since a sunny day can't be guaranteed when needed. But if daylight is all that's needed, all I'd need is for the sun to come up each day, with or without clouds. At least sunrise is something we can count on! :)

6. CaboWabo5150

CaboWabo5150 Hell's coming with me

It's a little higher on the price scale, but this is what I got. I can charge my devices and run my fridge for a while if need be. For a long term power outage, it will be handy. But I live near the 45th parallel, in an area where the sun disappears behind lake effect clouds in November and comes back in mid March.. So how handy is yet to be seen..

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z3FRXW4/?tag=survivalmonke-20

7. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

You can build a simple set up. Go to Harbor Freight and buy one of their 100 or 120 watt solar panel kits. Buy the upgraded connector kit and a power inverter. Get a deep drain 12v battery. Put it all on a hand truck. Voila! You have a portable solar recharging set up. Whole set up for under $500 new. Quite obviously you can shop for componants which are cheaper, or may have stuff at home that can be repurposed.

Wheel it out into the sun whenever you need it. You can modify it as needed...put it in a garden wagon, put the panels on a trailer, etc. (look up "Yuppie Wagon"...they sell a great solar set up, but that involves buying their trailer).

I have uiversal power supplies on my Internet and phone systems, plus a small power bank that can all be repurposed during prolonged power outages.

Homer Simpson likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7