Help My Laptop

Discussion in 'Technical' started by TailorMadeHell, Oct 31, 2015.

1. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

Okay, I'll say I haven't put it in a shop. I am trying to see if it would be worth it or not before I do. Here's the thing... I forget the model and stuff as it's in storage. Laptop battery started not holding a charge. It had to stay plugged in for it to work. One day it wouldn't come on at all. I read that I could remove the battery and it would work. I removed the battery and used it plugged in only. After a while, it quit coming on at all. I had it on a fan pad so I don't think it overheated. I bought a replacement battery, let it charge fully and then tried to turn it on. Nothing came on. I did hear the thing try to spin up but it stopped and that was that. If I hold down the power button the lights will come on, though when I release it, they all go off and no sound of activity. Any ideas? The only other option is to try and salvage the hard drive. Ran Vista and had active virus protection. I'm at a loss.

2. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

If you could supply the make and model it might help us figure out the course of action.

3. Mindgrinder

Mindgrinder Karma Pirate Ninja|RIP 12-25-2017

No HD noise on boot = dead HD at a best guess.
    U could pull it apart and try reseating the HD cables and blowing everything out with compressed air....
    But you're prolly looking at a new machine.

VisuTrac likes this.
  4. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

First thing I would check would be that the fan is clear of dust and debris so the fan can spin without sucking hard, that would shut it down, and overheat it quickly.

5. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I would think, too that the power supply may be kaput.

6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Possible, but easy to check with a simple meter.

7. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Had a Dell Latitude do that same thing a couple years back. The charging circuit section of the motherboard was toast...

8. TailorMadeHell

TailorMadeHell Lurking Shadow Creature

If nothing else I hope I can save the hard drive. If I remember right, it is an Asus G5.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  9. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Dont and TailorMadeHell like this.
  10. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

I have a nice stack of laptop hard drives that I connect to my laptop's via a usb rig..

oldawg likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7