Help!!! Severe coyote problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by USMCwife, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I say get an electronic call and get to shooting.

A believe a coyote has a place in life.... just not inside a chicken coop.

I would likely utilize a spotlight in or around animal shelters at night.... damn the law. Chickens are chickens.

I'm not even sure why we are having this thread....

2. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Little update.

So we did call the county wildlife guy. He was no help. He said we had an "unusual" situation, especially with their daylight boldness. Apparently they've overbred and run out of a food source. Come to think of it, it's been a while since I've seen even a rabbit run around out there. He just said shoot 'em---easier said than done. I think we have a total of three different packs. You can hear them call to each other---one will call, then you'll hear a dozen go nuts---then another pack in another direction goes nuts.

So, until we can get back, we're baiting. When the animals are fed, extra bread, dogfood, scraps, etc. are going to be thrown out under a street light by the barn. They're already used to that light and there's a great shooting position. Also, a red lamp is being set up behind the goat pen and scraps thrown out there too. In two weeks, we're going to have a shootout! The men are going to setup in three different positions and go to town!

This is good and bad. Because, my husband feels the need to buy a new remington 308 with a accupoint scope. Any excuse to buy new firearms works for him! If its successful, I'll post some pics.

KAS likes this.
  3. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

The hunt or the firearms purchase?

Hell, post pics of either!! :D

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

BOTH!!! Sheesh, Al, use your noggin. :D

DuxDawg likes this.
  5. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

I'll post both! He's still shopping--been online and at gun stores all day :rolleyes:

6. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I did not post on this thread because there are to many holes in the story.

7. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

??? Anything I can clarify????

8. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

First off, I am not trying to be a dick with my post. I am very sorry for your loss of a dog and would have an all out war with the coyotes. I just found a couple of the things you wrote not making sense.
    "Once night falls they'll get within 50 yards, but its too dark to get a good shot without some type of night optic."
    If you can see them and they are that close, can't you shoot them? Don't need much more than a good flashlight or a cheap spotlight to light them up and let them have it.
    "Currently using 5.56, but we need a magnifier for the eotech. The husband is an expert shot, we just need to invest in a good optic for that distance."
    Does not make sense because I can make hits at 300 yards with iron sites. Not sure of the distance you are talking about, but if your husband is an expert shot he should be able to shoot at this yardage or better with a 5.56 <acronym title="AR-15">AR </acronym>with iron sights.

KAS likes this.
  9. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I have some experience with both Trijicon ACOGs and Accupoints. I own both. If you (he) needs any advice, hit me up on pm. Either make great coyote, low light optics.

10. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Mountainman,
    You are absolutely correct. The problem is this, it was just me at the barn when they got that close. I don't feel like I had or have the skills to take a shot with an AR with an eotech at that distance when its getting so dark that I can't tell a stump from a coyote. I know they are there, they go in and out of the tree line, but I don't have the confidence.

Now the hubs would have taken the shot, but he wasn't there. I go and spend a week or so up there when i go, but he can only come up on the weekends because of work. So I've had the encounters. He's only seen them during the day at about 300 to 400 yrds, but its random, so we've been taking pot shots. When I got the 7 to come out with a call, there's no way I could have made that shot with an eotech with no magnification. I was calling him wigging out about what I should do, and he was pissed he wasn't there. We're never ready when we see them, but that's our fault. We're working to remedy that. If you have any suggestions, feel free to add. We're not experienced coyote hunters.

I'm a terrible forum writer, hence I don't usually post. i tend to leave out stuff or I'm too vague. Just ask, and I'll fill in the blanks.

DuxDawg likes this.
  11. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Thanks! i'll send him your way if he gets stuck. He wants the mac daddy accupoint. The 5-20x with the mil-dot. He's trying to talk himself into or out of it. I'm not sure which way its going to go...;)

12. horology

horology Monkey+

Kill some rabbits or buy some cheap dry dog food and cheap no name anti freeze add both together in a wash tub keep you dogs and cats locked up for one night.

The next day just bury the dead or leave them out for a while and other coyotes will eat them and die also.

My neighbor who did this 15 years ago killed a 1/2 ton pickup worths of coyotes.

BUT.................................they come back, if you don't have a ruger 10-22 then get something like it. When the moon is full you can have fun hunting them. And a 10-22 will kill them...........cheaply

Dan

PS dog food is enough of an attractant alone but antifreeze is very sweet

13. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

In case we resort to this, which we might...How fast does it kill them? Will they die in a few minutes or be able to run back to the woods and die? I don't want to go looking for dead coyotes in the woods, but I also don't want to leave musty carcasses around.

14. CrufflerJJ

CrufflerJJ Monkey++

Antifreeze (ethylene glycol) will not kill a critter in a few minutes (as cyanide might). It is eaten, then metabolized by the animal's liver into toxic metabolites. The metabolites end up killing the critter's kidneys. After some days, critter go bye-bye.

See:

Clinical Pathology of Ethylene Glycol Toxicosis

Ethylene Glycol Poisoning Overview

15. horology

horology Monkey+

Coyotes

Depends how much they eat, say 5 to 15 minutes. Most died in front of the wash tub, other a few feet away. They lick the antifreeze first they must like the sweet taste.

Good Luck
    Dan

16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

17. hsapientia

hsapientia Monkey++

I’m sorry about your pet. It’s an Awful Problem I lived with once.
    Large packs roamed the mountain trails. I’d moved into the middle of their runs. They ran for miles and miles in all directions. Different trails, each pack would ‘claim’ with Scent, (scat and urine). But they would all converge on feeding areas. You seem to be in the same boat.
    The half breeds (feral) were the worse, they showed no fear. And if those buggers are standing in the daylight letting you see them, I’ll make a wild guess you have that same issue. They have to be removed.

In case you need a target point, the Alpha’s stand near the back, watching, as the others maneuver.

I didn’t think about ethylene glycol use then (antifreeze). I know it would work. Three tablespoons is all that is needed to kill an average size dog. It’s because it’s sweet that they lap it up. And if that fellow that used it in Ariz., knows its effectiveness???
    I was saved from all that by an old Indian fellow who put in into perspective. “They were here before us and will be after. Just speak their language and they’ll leave you alone”.
    Translated that meant: Collect Urine and human stool and daub and distribute (splat and sprinkle) ALL THE WAY around your property on EVERY trail/run they use. And up close near the barns, live stock pens etc…
    “Claiming the space”, It really worked.
    Good luck.

18. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

The way some do it in southern La.is to bury a plastic pipe at a steep enough angle and throw a dead animal in the bottom,A piece of 12 or 16 in. p.v.c. pipe is used about 36'' to 48'' long...
    Seem's the yote's can not get traction trying to back out and they can not turn around..It's up too you if you wish to keep them alive or use a 22lr.on them...
    Some capture them this way in order too run fox hound's...

19. horology

horology Monkey+

I’m sorry about your pet. It’s an Awful Problem I lived with once.
    Large packs roamed the mountain trails. I’d moved into the middle of their runs. They ran for miles and miles in all directions. Different trails, each pack would ‘claim’ with Scent, (scat and urine). But they would all converge on feeding areas. You seem to be in the same boat.
    The half breeds (feral) were the worse, they showed no fear. And if those buggers are standing in the daylight letting you see them, I’ll make a wild guess you have that same issue. They have to be removed.
    In case you need a target point, the Alpha’s stand near the back, watching, as the others maneuver.

I didn’t think about ethylene glycol use then (antifreeze). I know it would work. Three tablespoons is all that is needed to kill an average size dog. It’s because it’s sweet that they lap it up. And if that fellow that used it in Ariz., knows its effectiveness???
    I was saved from all that by an old Indian fellow who put in into perspective. “They were here before us and will be after. Just speak their language and they’ll leave you alone”.
    Translated that meant: Collect Urine and human stool and daub and distribute (splat and sprinkle) ALL THE WAY around your property on EVERY trail/run they use. And up close near the barns, live stock pens etc…
    “Claiming the space”, It really worked.
    Good luck.[/quote]

Yes that is true, since I have lived in the "wilderness" I P out side
    It does keep them away........... I forgot, been doing it for so long

Dan

20. USMCwife

USMCwife Monkey++

Interesting last two posts! They got a turkey yesterday. Dumb thing wouldn't go back in the coop--she decided to roost on top. Well, she didn't make it through the night. Mom called this morning. Said two were right outside the house at about 8:30am trying to get the dogs to come out of the garage. These coyotes are way too brave, but since we lost a dog the others seem to know better. I don't think i've heard of any coyotes being more ballsy than these. Wish she had shot them. She was right there! I told her to keep the rifle by the door ready to go from now on. Maybe she'll get a couple before we get there.

1. martha_mill
  2. DKR
  3. Ganado
  4. HK_User
  5. hot diggity
  6. chelloveck
  7. BTPost
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. hot diggity
  10. natshare
  11. sec_monkey
  12. Dont