Help!!! Severe coyote problem!!!!

Discussion in 'Turf and Surf Hunting and Fishing' started by USMCwife, Sep 8, 2010.

1. Rabid

Rabid Monkey

I prefer a 30-06 for politicians over the shotgun.

2. DMGoddess

DMGoddess Monkey+++

I'd make sure of local laws, if I were you. Some areas fine you or jail you for killing coyotes. I agree that the problem is out of hand. Shooting them sounds like the only option, and I'd invite a few friends and use a night scope.

3. fmhuff

fmhuff Monkey+++

We had the same problem when I was younger. I simply went out with my 12ga and buckshot and delt with the problem. Now days I'd get a little practice with my AR, but alas I have nothing they want to eat.

4. tomr

tomr Monkey+

treble hooks and a piece of meat

5. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

i dont know the situation these days but if you get desperate get some brown gravey and steal wool ... soak the steal wool in the brown gravey and place it out for them ....

6. brandonnash

brandonnash Monkey

I helped out a friend years back that had the same kind of problem. Chickens were getting taken, a couple cats and finally one of his dogs.

We went out for several nights with a high powered spot light and set at the edge of his field and just spotted along the woodline and every time we would see eyes we would shoot them. We did this most every night until we couldn't shoot anymore. Best to get what you kill and put them somewhere else or just make a pile and burn them.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

As I understand it, yotes breed larger litters under hunting pressure, so just hunting now and then, makes the problem worse. I am considering a dedicated varmint rifle, with scope and lights for night hunting, myself. Yotes are killing way too many fawns. if you are gonna hunt them, make it hurt, and hit 'em hard.

8. duane

duane Monkey+++

Had a problem in our neighborhood, 3 square mile "nature preserve" about half mile away with woods running along a river to a flood control dam across the street, and several square miles of swamp and woody hills in back. They would not let us use poison, etc as some neighbors are a bunch of greens. After the coyotes ate their dogs and cats, they agreed to let use "shoot" them with a lot of disgust and hand wringing. Have a neighbor about 2 miles away who is retired special forces and he hunts at night with a 300 blackout, subsonic ammo, a silencer, and night vision. He is 75 years old and very bored. The coyote problem ended in a couple weeks. He was wandering around the nature preserve one night with his rifle about dusk getting ready to hunt and one of the greens called the cops all in a panic and wanted them to do something about it and to protect the poor animals, the police told them that he was authorized by the game wardens to "handle the problem", the land was in a preserve, paid no taxes, and harbored a public nuisance, and that they were not stupid enough to go into his woods at night when he was in full hunting mode. Still see a very wary and skittish coyote ever now and then about dusk or at dawn and call him. Don't usually see them again. He said the area is like a black hole, kill a few, and more just move in from farther away. Guess there is some money in the good winter pelts, guess all of the "wolf fur" trim on the winter jackets isn't quite wolf. He said he loves the silent approach, has no real effect on the coyote hunting, but keeps the public from calling the police when they hear gunshots at 2 AM. Might be a tip there about other varmints if there is a TSHTF as well. Most of the likely problem people do not have the survival skills of a wary coyote, so it would be a more realistic real world training than paint ball with the exception that the coyotes do not shoot back. He said that was not a problem as he had a lot of real world experience with people that were very wary and shot back.

9. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm going to roll him if I see him

IMAG01104.

10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I was going to put one of the cats in a cat carrier then inside a dog kennel then leave it in the field.
    I found live bait works best, at least when fishing. Same should apply to coyotes, I think.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

That or deer ribs hanging in a tree

Zimmy likes this.
  12. runswithdogs

runswithdogs Monkey+++

guessing to late for the OP but id seriously consider getting a flock guard type dog like a Great Pyrenees. they will guard their territory & "flock/herd" & quite capable of handling a coyote or 3

Also Llamas... Llamas will stomp a 'yote into unrecognizable pile of goo.

13. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

So will donkeys ...

DuxDawg, Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

Or dried meat on treble hooks hanging from a trotline. (Local laws may vary). Dry the meat on the hook first, then install. Much easier than having birds eat the fresh meat or trying to hang biltong or jerky. Be aware you could find hogs standing impatiently for a solution if they can reach the hook.

The folks around here hang dead coyotes from fence posts to warn the pack away. Does it work? I dunno. But the old folks do things often for a reason......

3cyl and Motomom34 like this.
  15. duane

duane Monkey+++

Can't resist the dead coyote on the fence comment. Was an old story about an English Colonel going into a church in Hamlin Germany after WW2 and seeing a gold rat on the alter at the cathedral, he asked the priest, "You don't really believe that story about the piper getting rid of all the rats in the city do you?" The priest answered, "You don't see any gold Englishmen on the alter do you?"

Zimmy and Gator 45/70 like this.
  16. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I can't find a location in your profile, but if you're near any military base you may be able to get some hunters to help. The Wounded Warrior Battalion at Camp Lejeune NC took care of a feral hog problem on the farms bordering the Croatan National Forest a few years back. I've got an old .22 (.220 Wotkyns-Wilson Arrow) that'd be very efficient on long range coyote.

Burgers on the grill and coyote calls in the afternoon. Sounds like a hunting party.

Witch Doctor 01 and Zimmy like this.
  17. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Next time I see a fresh dead one on the side of the road I will have to consider grabbing it, hanging it on the fence.
    If it doesn't keep coyotes out it should keep people away.

Motomom34 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  18. Personally , I would rather trap them . There good eaten. and good pelts in the winter. My grandad trapped for a living. for wolves and the like . He would find a large cut down tree stump or large rock that they could jump up on. place several conibear traps around and on top. lightly covered. then he would take a old big ben wind up clock in a metal bucket, and hang it in a tree near by. their skitterish but very nosy. they will try to find the sound, and jump up on anything higher then the level ground.

arleigh likes this.
  19. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I had to look up coyote life expectancy, and learned that it's three to four times longer than this thread's been around.

Benjamin A. Wood and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. martha_mill
  2. DKR
  3. Ganado
  4. HK_User
  5. hot diggity
  6. chelloveck
  7. BTPost
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. hot diggity
  10. natshare
  11. sec_monkey
  12. Dont