Help With Finding Ham/CB Radio ....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by vja4Him, Nov 12, 2010.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Not a Pipe Dream at all, but lugging the Power Supply around to fire it up and keep it running, could get tiring. Most of the HF Rigs around today run on 12 Vdc, so a Motorcycle Battery will run them, for a while, HOWEVER just do NOT get any fancy ideas about building a Bicycle Generator to recharge the battery, within any short time frame. The best cyclist in the world, can only put out 100 or so Watts, and then for only a few hours. So, a Solar Charger is a better alternative, as long as the sun shines on you, and even that will take a while. (Hours)....

2. cheney

cheney Monkey+

Thanks BT,
    The 817 runs on internal rechargeable batteries and can accept a battery tray to run on 8 AA batteries. Given the limitations of power, a portable Brunton solar sheet was on my list of stuff to get. Being in a pack, the unit would only be used for short term operational type uses within 50 miles, so I'm not worried about the longevity of the battery system. When back at home, a battery bank and stationary antenna array is in the works, so any monitoring can be done back there with the assistance of a natural gas powered generator hooked up to who knows how much NG under the farm.
    Given these attributes, would you advise that this is a good place to start?: three others of these units will be employed to communicate within 200 miles for the other members of the plan, until they make there way here.
    I appreciate all of the help and look forward to joining the ham community.

3. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

yep, looks like you have thought out the Plan fairly well, and the Design is sound.... always looking forward to new arrivals on the Ham bands... when you get your license, look me up.... on the air...

4. cheney

cheney Monkey+

Thanks again BT,
    I really needed some confirmation on this subject. Hopefully I'll be able to get a directional up and be able to reach you from Ohio, or if I can't I'll try to tie into the repeaters and do it that way. Good luck with the planning and let me know if you need any medical advice, we have three docs and two vets on board and they are always happy to help.
    Cheney

5. Saddleup

Saddleup Monkey+

The 817 looks like a really nice back packers radio. When you mentioned that it has AA batteries I went looking for the specs and found that the max output is only 5 watts. This is about the same as a CB radio, and some handhelds.

Nothing wrong with low-power, but realize that most other non QRP radios run at 100 watts. You will have to find a better than average antenna and learn how to set it up to get the distance you are trying for.

You seem knowledgeable about a beam antenna. This may be one of your better choices to get distance.

Good Luck.

6. mwatson

mwatson Monkey+

yes

all the cb is looking for is correct voltage. Get a deep cycle marine battery for best results....W5FJ

1. Illini Warrior
  2. DKR
  3. JA40
  4. JA40
  5. Tully Mars
  6. ED GEiN
  7. Southbound
  8. hitchcock4
  9. Bandit99
  10. Bandit99
  11. DKR
  12. DKR