Help??

Discussion in 'Blades' started by CRC, Apr 18, 2007.

1. CRC

CRC Survivor of Tidal Waves | RIP 7-24-2015 Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Is there anyone that can help me with any information on these??

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

They belong to a dear friend.....they were in her fathers things when she went through them.....

Thanks!

2. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Can you give us diminsions, material that they a re made from (Both blade and scabbard) and any dates or other markings? Also, anything that the family friend might know about them or their father which may be relevent.

My father is into historical pieces, might be able to shed some light with the help of the above info. He'll be down in a few weeks, I'll let him see this when he's here.

phishi

3. CRC

Let me get up with her, phishi...and I'll let you know....Thank you so much! [winkthumb]

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

6. CRC

7. CRC

There is this on one of them...

[​IMG]

She also said this: My Dad was career Army Infantry....he served in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.....he was in the Army from 1947 to 1970.....

But she doesn't have any info on her Grandfather yet......(She is a retired LEO in Utah...and a Bail Bond agent now...)

I've found a few sites with vague information on Clauberg and I'm still hunting.....

Will get the dimensions today, most likely...

8. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My google search last night turned up the sites that Ghrit listed. Lots of hits concerning swords made around the Civil War. Does the blade have W. Clauberg/Soligen and a picture of a Knight in Armour down by the hilt? If so, these were probaly made in Germany around that time.

The Hilts look to be made of brass in a style similar to an Artillery sword that I have seen in my father's collection. With out the dimensions, I hesitate to guess. However, I would look in the direction of the mid 1800s, private purchase, perhaps Infantry or Artillery low ranking officer or NCO. Navy is not out of the question, although I saw no signs in the photo that would point that way. Square grip leads me to think that these might be civilian? Maybe gentry? I'm reaching here.........

Give me a little more time, and let us know what else you find.

phishi

9. CRC

Ok...

Got this from her today..

they are 13 1/2 inches long.....the handles look to me to be some sort of bone or ivory.....as far as the scabbard, I don't know what it's made out of....the embellishments are brass.....I don't even know how to begin to guess what the blades are made out of....there is alittle bit of rust on them, if that means anything.....
    My Dad was career Army....served in the infantry in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam.......I don't know at what point during his career he got them....

One response that I got from another board I posted the pics said they think they are WWI Russian Naval dirks.....from pictures I've found, that is probably pretty close....

I really appreciate yours, and your friends, help, Connie!!!

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7