Henry "U.S. Survival Rifle"

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kckndrgn, Jan 30, 2008.

1. SuperTico

SuperTico Yawn !

When they came into my shop I refused to repair them.
    Complete junk.
    Ya want a 22 SA get a 10-22, You need compact ? Get the Browning.

2. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Dragonfly,
    I haven't actually called anyone at Henry in regards to mine. I have emailed Anthony Imperato, who appears to be the president of Henry Arms. So far he has helped me in everything.
    One thing that I an not happy with is I was told I would get a "repair number" so I could call and find out the status, I have yet to receive it. I emailed Anthony my SN yesterday and he said he would get back to me today with the status and the repair number.
    Want something done, go to the top.

3. knophear

knophear Monkey++

4. kckndrgn

Well, I got my rifle back from Henry last night. Managed to get to the range with it but only fired 32 rounds. That's 4, 8 round mags, 0 problems. Grouping wasn't bad considering I was just trying to function test.
    I was using CCI Mini-Mags, at 50 ft I had prolly a 3" group. Now, I wasn't really shooting for a tight group, just firing off a few rounds to make sure it cycled properly.
    The packing slip said they replaced the barrel, ejector, "NAC" (haven't a clue what that is), and they put in 2 new mags (maybe bad penmanship on the NAC and is should really be MAG?).

anyhoo, I happy with it, I'll try putting a hundred or so rounds through it this weekend and report back.

5. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

"IF", I could find another like the ORIGINAL AR7s, I'd buy it!
    Darned shame that a good rifle like this had so many different versions/owners.
    They had a great thing and messed it up.
    Here they are selling for $249.99, at the local spotsmans warehouse.
    I'd rather buy the Ruger 10/22, and change out the stock to make it lighter, and in the process save a few $$$
    Bill

6. CBMS

CBMS Looking for a safe place

Lol, I was looking at an AR7 earlier last month, guy wanted 150 for it, but I couldnt get it then.
    Sweet little gun, it looks exactly like the Henry.
    I want the AR6

7. BuckBall

BuckBall Woman Hater

I talked my mate out of one...now she is settled on the M1 Carbine. For some reason I never did care for a .22 for survival purposes.

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

My shooting buddy has the earlier AR7 and the Explorer pistol. He likes them, and they have so far proven reliable, with okay accuracy. It works fine if he stays with hi-velocity roundnose ammo.
    I have considered the Henry model, but just don't like the clunky feel and composite barrel. There are steel barrels availble though. Then of course, it won't float.
    My S&W M17 revolver is more accurate at 'minute-of-squirrel' distance, and not ammo-sensitive.

9. kckndrgn

Sea,
    I finally managed to get to the range and shoot the Survival rifle some more (funny, I work at the range, and I don't have enough time to shoot).
    I shot approx 150 rounds of Remington Bulk .22lr (these appear to be HP rounds) through the rifle. 0 problems, not one jam, FTE, FTF, nothing except BANG every time (or click on the times I forgot to count the number of rounds I fired).
    Accuracy was so, so. But then again, I'm really bad with iron sights on rifles. At 20yds I managed to keep 3" groups, at 10 yds it was 1" groups.

When cleaning the rifle I did notice that parts of the stock were breaking (the "tube" where the barrel goes is broken, and the slot for the receiver is cracked) i think this may effect the "floatability" of the rifle, but I'm not too concerned about that.

All in all, for free I got a great rifle.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"When cleaning the rifle I did notice that parts of the stock were breaking (the "tube" where the barrel goes is broken, and the slot for the receiver is cracked) i think this may effect the "floatability" of the rifle, but I'm not too concerned about that." kckndrgn

JB Weld can be your friend! :D

11. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

I was hoping someone here could tell me where I could find high capacity mags for the henry US Surviver. I herd diff. people say they have come across 30 and 50 and 100 round mags but all I can find is the standed 8 cap. mag. for it. I know that will defeat the whole purppose of it being compact but if I can find some large mags I'll just put a material cover on the stock that will hold two on each side that way I can have a real SHTF gun to play with. thanks guy!

12. kckndrgn

SportsmansGuide.com has them:
    http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=487519

Here's an idea for keeping the extended mags with your rifle:
    http://thepackingrat.net/2008/01/30/us-survival-molle-butt-stock-platform/
    and
    http://thepackingrat.net/2008/02/23/us-survival-putting-it-all-together/

There was another forum where someone found that an AR-15 mag pouch that was designed to go on the stock of the an AR-15 would fit on the Survival rifle. They fit a couple of 15 round mags and a 100cnt box of CCI bullets in it. I'll see if I can find the thread.

13. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

Hay! Thanks so much! I also found some 25 round mags but I read that they are very bad and jam a lot, I would like to find a 20 rd. mag but 15 is awesome too.

14. kckndrgn

Let me know how the aftermarket mags workout. I am a little hesitant to get them after reading so many bad reviews.

The 2 8 rounders I have are working flawlessly right now.

15. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

ok everyone,I know it's been a while sense we were on this blog but I "NEED" to resurrect it for informational purposes. Now X-Mas is over and I got extended mags for my Henry US Survival Rifle. AND THEY DIDN'T WORK!!!!! After actually calling the manufacturer and a lot of grief trying to get my money back from other companies, I learned the issue. See the gun originally was called the AR-7 by ArmaLite Inc. then it was taken over by Charter Arms. THEN it was sold to Henry Repeating Arms Inc. anyway.....This is what happened, when Henry took over the gun they made a bunch of design flaw changes and upgrades to a better barrel and MAGAZINE technology of today's standards. So not only is the gun more accurate then it ever as been before, it also has a different design then any of the previous guns in the past. so..... the point is, for right now THERE ARE NO EXTENDED MAGS FOR THE
    HENRY US SURVIVAL RIFLE! but if you do happen to have a very old modal then you can buy mag extensions in 10rd, 15rd, and 25rd banana clip.

16. kckndrgn

Thanks for the update Grant,

Just curious what were your problems with the new mags? I suspect that was my original problem with the 7 rnd mags that I had and that's why when I sent my gun in for repair both mags were replaced.

Thanks again.

17. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

the problem is that the mags for the AR-7 are a different design then the ones for the new henry. they both snap into the hole but the top guiding metal on the mag that guides the bullet into the barrel is different. and I guess sense it's not a very popular gun, no one has taken the new design and made extender mags for the gun. but be advised, if it says it will fit the AR-7 it WILL NOT fit your Henry. The two are not the same gun and one IS NOT compatible with the other's mags.

18. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

Ok, I finally got to the range today to shot my Henry and at first....it sucked. It would only fire 3 times before it would jam, or not eject the cartridge because the spring was to....springy and would snap back before the cartridge had time to eject bla bla bla. Anyway.....After about 150 rounds the gun broke in enough to empty an 8 round mag with no problems. With a little more braking in this gun will be awesome. Anyway, My review for as far as the shooting goes is fantastic! Now it just needs a 6-24x50mm scope and it will be perfect lol.

19. kckndrgn

cool, glad it's workin out for ya.

20. Grant9908

Grant9908 Monkey++

Ok so here's the update. So fare this gun is awesome I did have to return the 15 rd mags for the reasons I described in the other posts but I went ahead and bought six 8 rd mags from the Henry US Co. and duck-taped them butt to butt to make carrying them and loading easier. I also did get the over kill 6-24x scope lol, but the way the retarded iron sights are on the gun I have to weight for inch high mounts to come in the mail before I can mount it. This post is more of a joke then anything else though.....see I got bored one night and had a McGiver situation happen. I had A)a bag of rubber bands B)a $1 Wal-Mart flashlight and C) my Henry US Survival Rifle. SO.....here is the outcome. and before you assume; no, I'm not a redneck and no this is not serious. BUT it is a handy little configuration for the home sted lol. I throw the last couple pic.s in for fun.

The blue things are stabilizers because the light kept traveling around the barrel and wouldn't point straight.

(click on the pictures to enlarge them)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]