Here's a Special One

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Valkman, Sep 30, 2005.

1. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm making this for a guy who helped me get started - his name is Dave Linn and he makes 1911 wood grips. When I first started I asked him if he had any wood that I could use and he sent me a bunch, and when I told him I'd make him a knife he sent me this 400 year-old Birdseye Maple to use on it. I finished it tonight and this is some neat wood! Being stabilized it sanded like granite! But, I used the grinder to sand it at 80 grit, then 180, 280, 400 and 600 and then buffed it. Then I could see what small flaws there were so I hand sanded it at 100 grit, then 220, 400 and 800 and buffed it again. :eek:

Here it is - I wanted his knife to be a good one! :D

If you need wood grips for your 1911 go see Dave at 1911 Pistol Grips

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

That's a beauty!.... Great lines.... Looks fantastic... [beer]

3. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I'll take it!!!

4. Valkman

Heh - Actually I'm going to make Bear one just like it as I have one more set of this wood. I spent about 3 hours sanding this knife by machine and hand but it was worth it! [beer]

5. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very nice. Yes stabilzed wood if VERY hard to work with. As a woodturning I have used stabilzed wood (stabilized professionally and by myself) and it can be a bear to work with but yeilds super results.

As far as sanding goes I know all about it. When making a pen I typically start at 220 then go 320, 400, 600 then I go to a product called micro mesh. The MM goes from 1500 (about the same as 600 sandpaper), 1800,2400, 3200, 3600, 4000, 6000, 8000, 12000. The MM was deveoloped to "erase" the scratches in plexiglass so I can get a glass like finish on my pens (especially when I use CA, superglue as the finish)

Ryan

6. Valkman

I've read about using superglue as a finish - does that work well?

7. melbo

and how do you apply it?

8. Valkman

That's what I want to know, and then I'll try it. Should be able to fix any mistakes with acetone.

9. TLynn

TLynn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

You did some gorgeous work there Don. I'm really proud of you!

10. Valkman

:oops:

Thanks!

11. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Valkman, Melbo,
    The CA finish is easy to put on (at least for me), can be polished to a high gloss finish, and lasts a while. One of the downsides are the cost, CA is my most expensive finish, but also my quickest. Here is the way I apply CA.

Since I use a lathe to turn the pens, I also use the lathe during the application of CA. After sanding the wood at 220, 320, 400, 600, then micro mesh 1500 through 12000 I wipe the blank down with DNA (denatured alcohal). After the DNA dries apply a light coat of BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil - this helps to "pop" the grain), whith the BLO still wet and using a folded paper towel I apply the CA with the lathe running at it's slowest speed. The first 2-3 coats of CA are the thin CA. With each coat I start with a layer of BLO, for these layers the BLO does "something" to the CA to help keep it smooth, and requires less sanding when I'm done.
    I apply 2 or 3 coats of thin CA, then 2 coats of Medium CA. If all goes well I start sanding at 400 then 600 then go to the MM.

For more detailed information you can look at the International Association of Penturners (www.penturners.org) and search the forum for "CA application" or CA/BLO since almost everyone who uses CA also uses the BLO.

Hope this information was useful.

Ryan

12. Valkman

Interesting - thanks Ryan!

13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

That is a beautiful knife Valkman b::

14. Valkman

Thanks Quig - man I'm going to see Bob Loveless tomorrow and I am pumped up about that! Woohoo!

I'm taking the knife in this thread along with Seacowboy's Ivory Micarta-handled one and both of Melbo's knives to show him. I doubt he'll be impressed - he's been making knives since 1954! b::

15. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

How did you do the artwork on the rivets ?

16. melbo

I think they come that way and are called "mosaic".

17. TLynn

They are called mosaics melbo just like you said and they are bought that way BigUglyOne through supply houses that cater to knife makers.

18. BigUglyOne

BigUglyOne Monkey+++ Founding Member

As rivets or as rod ?

19. TLynn

They're sold as rod I believe BigUglyOne.

20. melbo

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7