Here's my toolbox....

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Equilibrium, Feb 12, 2011.

1. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My wife has several varieties of "squeezy things" , that hole maker, measuring dooey, and assorted other out of the ordinary tools that she robbed from my bench and uses about the house. She is actually quite handy in spite of her less than correct names and sometimes uses, for various tools.

2. Nadja

Nadja RIP 3-11-2013 Forum Leader

My wife is just about the same. Anything breaks , she has the duct tape, hammer and pliers all set to go. Oh yea, almost forgot, here multi tip screwdriver. LOL

3. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Seacowboys> “She Who Must Be Obeyed” is from Rumpole of the Bailey, Rumpole of the Bailey - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. The main character is an attorney who basically does a lot of pro bono work who “secretly” calls his wife “She Who Must Be Obeyed”. It’s what we all called my Mother. When my Mom died, I “inherited” her British title. I don’t mind. It’s funny actually since I was the only daughter and have all sons myself. My real name isn't Diane. The property markings are totally coincidence and were truly due to a mommy melt down moment. My toolbox is stored inside the house… out of the way on the floor in a closet. My husband and our sons were dipping into my cookie jar because they were too lazy to walk out to the garage. I gave them 1 hour…husband included…. to find everything they had "borrowed" from me and I was not kidding… hence their decorations to my box. For what it’s worth…. my husband’s grandfather, father, and uncle all served in the Navy. No Navy Seals or anything but... his grandfather was the Captain of a ship during WWII and we were very lucky to pick up a duty tour book of the ship with his name and photo in it off eBay. They're all either civil or structural engineers. On my side of the family…. an assortment with only two engineers but…. one brother and 1 SIL who were Marine Jag Corps and one brother and a SIL who were career Navy.
    [FONT=&quot]Thank you from the bottom of my heart for helping keep us safe Seacowboys. [/FONT]

4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I loved Rumpole of the Bailey but didn't know that anyone in CONUS really watched Brit humor (except for the Monty Python crowd, Benny Hill, or Mr. Bean). I haven't really helped make anyone safer, quite the contrary. Any participation I ever had with military only helped insure the price of gasoline would forever increase, as would our supply of enemies all around the world. Human rights, my ass. In the imortal words of Baby Sinclair "gotta love me!"

5. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

Thank you for your concern. Yes, he has tools. Mostly for working on cars… he was what we would call a gearhead in HS. No, he can’t but.... my two buddies would go with me since I long ago tired of getting bum advice from salesmen. And correct you are again about the usefulness of tools I can't identify let alone know what to do with Nadja....which is why I started this thread this way,
    I am acquiring skills and…. tools. I like reading at this site, DIY Home Improvement Projects. Two weeks ago a toilet was leaking. I replaced our flange complete with ME lifting our toilet up on my own. The plumber came and we were going to be charged a site visit anyway plus time and materials so what’s an extra hour overseeing me while I did the work. The plumber was such a good sport…said it was a first but…. he got paid. I got a new toilet wrench out of the deal from my husband as a gift complete with a pink ribbon on it. One of our blower motors on a furnace went. The HVAC guy said the other blower motor was on its last leg. I kept the boxes with the part numbers, ordered them myself and…. I can assure you I will be able to fix the other furnace on my own when that blower motor goes. I just learned how to change a tire and change the oil in my car and…. I learned how to start our snowblower and use it. The way I figure it… if I can get over the hump of killing one of my chickens… with a BB gun…. I’ll be able to do anything I put my mind to.... with a little help.

6. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

"I'll be able to do anything I put my mind to"..that's the attitude.Congrats on fixing the toilet,that's the most hated job on my list..next time mine needs the gasket replaced I'll be contacting you.

7. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

Don't forget needle nose and blunt end vise grips. I'll bet a spiked high heel could be a formidable weapon.

8. wildone_uk

wildone_uk Monkey+

tracy,you must of come to england and had a peek at my toolbox

9. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

oth47>
    You must not have a septic field complete with lift stations, grease tanks, catch basins, or any tanks that have filters that need replacement from time to time. Oh gag me.... I got the bill for $275 and said to myself.... that's a bill that needs to go ba bye. So the next time he came I stood and watched then collected the boxes with all the parts numbers on them.... to put in our carboard recycling bins of course then.... turned around and ordered them myself. I did it the next time using fishing waders from a neighbor. Those poop & pee professionals we were paying to replace the filters deserved every dime we used to give them.
    --
    BAT>
    Rats... I gave almost all of them away keeping only a few pairs for the few times a year I'm forced to clean up and look presentable!!!

10. sweetdixie

sweetdixie Monkey+

OK.....ya'll I got to say somethin! My daddy gave me a toolbox & tools when I was.... well let's just say over 40; I once used a cast iron frying pan as a hammer, then made cornbread!
    IT WORKED 4 ME!

11. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Cast iron skillet as hammer..that should work.My wife killed a mouse with a skillet,he was in a trap alive..she fixed him good.

12. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Pirate Biker

[respect] I'd watch myself around a woman that packs a cast iron skillet. [stirpot]

13. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

These are 2 very important ones that I was looking to see if had been mentioned...so I will just second this.

14. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I might have a needle nose pliers... not sure but I'm pretty sure I don't have a blunt end vise grip because I don't have any vise grips.

15. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Personally, I think vise grips are probably about the most useful and versatile tool made.

JMO...YMMV

16. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

We're all going shopping next week. I've got a list now and.... I'm checking it twice... ;)

17. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

I give up ;)

Funny thing, in my relationship, I buy hand tools and my wife buys power tools. I only start a project if it's worth the time to use hand tools and do it right. She, on the other hand, has the fastest tools known to man and has 4-5 projects uncompleted.

I have another question for the betterment of this thread-
    What about a vehicle tool kit? What do you put in yours?

18. Equilibrium

Equilibrium Monkey++

I try real hard to run for the finish line on a project and.... so does my husband. We're pretty good about not biting off more than we can chew. As far as tools for cars... that I'm going to leave alone. I'm pretty sure we're covered tools for cars. We may not have construction tools but..... my guess is we've got every tool known to mankind for fixing anything that goes vroom vroom.

19. CANDY fISHER

CANDY fISHER Monkey+

I got a hammer a drill and a screw drivers. not much in my tool box well except big and small nails LOL. I need more. but the mallet is stuck by the door being in use in case someone trys to come in.

20. oth47

oth47 Monkey+

Alright,Equilibrium,I guess I jinxed myself by bragging on you for fixing the toilet..mine's leaking now.How soon can you get here? I'll have the parts you'll need..

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7