Hey Bruce answer me this riddle please..

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by hank2222, Jun 1, 2011.

1. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

Ok on PVWatt's website i was looking at diff part's of southern area of Alaska coastline and i can not figure out there reason or why they get the watt's hours from solar when i have talked to you and few other about solar and wind in Alaska

this is some software that allow's to break down the hours of daylight per day to do basic math on the number of hours need to charge the battery bank dureing the winter daylight

in some of the area of the coastline your get up to 1.to 3..kw hours a day of solar produce power in the winter time and up to 7.kw hours a day of power that comes to solar sun table that they are used ..yes i know the summer time is better for solar ..

but how can they figure that number out on the winter time month's of nov dec-jan-feb month frame ..

so how they getting this number when you go looking the socalled sunlight hours for the time of the hour and wind speed's number for the areas of the Alaska coastline

but they are saying that the winter time number of hour's is diff from one place like Throne Bay & Criag & other places on the Prince of Wales island & other island in the area to Juneau area

so how they getting this number they are saying ..i know there is a diff between fixed and tracking mount..

i do not see how they are getting the math number's of solar light down to those month's to say that they are getting this much solar power per month..

also i have seen some of the socalled wind chart's for the area are they useing this number to add in there number to say that there system can produce this much power dureing the winter months ..

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

NOAA (Wx Service) is like BaseBall, they count, and keep track of EVERYTHING, Period. So for Solar, what you do is get a Historical Data download from their Master Database, that looks at: Cloud Cover, Sunrise/Sunset Times and then you can make intelligent "Guesses" as to the "Average" Solar Power, available for any location, or strip of coastline in the USA, by calculations. The Variables for your specific location are, how many degrees above horizontal, your terrain, (Mountains, hills and trees), and how many degrees in azimuth to the south, east, and west, obscures the sun. If you lived on a cleared Hilltop, this wouldn't be an issue. You can do the same for Wind, within certain distances from a Reporting Station, but it is much harder due to terrain changes between locations. Riddle solved.... YMMV.... because GOD decides how cloudy it will be tomorrow.... and the day after that.... .......

hank2222 likes this.
  3. hank2222

hank2222 Monkey+++

thanks for i been trying to make sense of there data and i could not make a head or tails of there data on there website ..

4. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

hank2222 likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Hey Broker, If you want to know what it happening as far as that kind of Storm in the USA have a look at this WebSite.....

Vaisala - Lightning Explorer

I sent this to TnAndy, when he was right in the middle of those BIG Ones, 10 days ago... It really shows the whole picture....

...... YMMV.....

hank2222 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7