Hey Elmers

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Tully Mars, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Would like your thoughts on the following radios:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HXKR479/?tag=survivalmonke-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005GTO0CY/?tag=survivalmonke-20

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0A8GO2/?tag=survivalmonke-20

I know CB isn't discussed here a whole lot but I do feel like it has a place mainly because PSHTF many folks will have one-at least as long as their power holds out.As far as the receivers we as a group are trying to decide on a "wireless" to carry in case of a bug out and for team members on the move to our retreat to hear messages we here could broadcast.
    Your thoughts are appreciated.

Dunerunner and sec_monkey like this.
  2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

As a CB, the President is as good as they come and has capability far more than commonly used, at least in this area. (I base this on owning President and Cobra units in years gone by.) For a general service receiver, the Sangean gets my vote tho' it looks to be overkill for the service I think you are looking for, and way over priced for that service. The other thing is new (as far as I know) to the market, I have nothing to say about it.

The CB unit has no transmitting capability other than on the CB bands, but hearing hf might be useful. And, for reception only, there's no reason for all to have the same unit, hearing is hearing

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  3. Tully Mars

Thank you G.

4. William Warren

William Warren Monkey+++

The first two are receivers: they will only tell you what someone in authority wants you to hear!
    The CB transceiver is only that: it is useful for talking to people a few blocks away during a snowstorm, but that's all.

Let's get real: communications post-shtf will require all the capabilities of all the receivers and the cb set which you have links for shown in your post.

Do yourself a favor: buy a second-hand low-band Amateur transceiver, modify it to transmit outsie the ham bands(1) and get a good antenna tuner and a better wideband antenna, and then you'll have all the capabilities which the units you've linked to can provide, and both wide-band receive and transmit.

HTH. YMMV.

William Warren

1. This is a routine modification to most Amateur transceivers, and it's called the "MARS mod," since it allows hams whom are members of the Military Auxiliary Radio System (MARS) to transmit on MARS frequencies, which are outside the amateur bands. Frankly, the units are sold with the "ham bands only" restriction in place just to please the FCC, which forbids out-of-bands operation by Amateurs unless there is a real emergency.

Dunerunner and Tully Mars like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

At this point, if you are Rx Only, folks just might look at a SRD, that plugs into the USB Port on your LAPTOP... Many of these have very good Dynamic Range. and cover much of the HF & low Vhf Frequencies... A good LongWire Antenna connected to such a setup will be as good or better than any of the Portables mentioned above, especially when a Good RF Ground. is also connected.. Also you get a built-in Spectrum Display using your Laptop screen, which helps locate and listen to varied HF Signals available in the operational bandwidth....

6. sheen_estevez

sheen_estevez Monkey+++

Adding to what BT says, with a SDR you also get the advantage of decoding digital signals, be it PSK, RTTY etc. if your looking to monitor better to have a solution that gives you the broadest range of options. You can go from anywhere from 12.00 for the dongle and some time setting up programming (not hard by any means) to a 100.00 or so and comes in a nice pretty box/ and some time setting up programming. I have a bunch of 12.00 dongles, one I dedicate to just aircraft tracking using a pi, in the spring I will move that antenna from inside the shack to the tower which then I should get hundreds of miles of aircraft. Back to voice, again as BT stated a good long wire will get you just about all the signal you could possible want to listen to, a j-pole set up for VHF/UHF will get you local traffic maybe not law enforcement as many are encrypted but EMS/fire in many area are not, gives you an idea of what might be happening in your area.

upload_2020-1-21_18-25-44.

Dunerunner, Tully Mars and sec_monkey like this.
  7. Tully Mars

Perhaps I need to expand on my original post.
    The 1st two receivers are that. We know that up front. The thought here is that members coming in from further away would be able to tune to our freq and listen for up dates from base. Also these radios could give a person a better feel for what's going on by surfing the waves so to speak. Something that could be put into a pack if needed and still enable a person to be somewhat informed simply by surfing the wireless. The CB is something I've been thinking of adding because in this area I know it is used a lot. My thoughts are any info is good info. If I can cover the CB/SSB's so much the better?

Dunerunner likes this.
  8. Tully Mars

Thank you Bruce.
    Even a dumbassed welder can understand that:D

9. BTPost

You are entirely Welcome...

Dunerunner, sec_monkey and Tully Mars like this.
  10. BTPost

i had another thought, just now... Adding a Tx function to an SDR really isn’t all that hard, if you start designing from the first conception... I know there are BiDirectional SDRs available, but I haven’t don e the research on pricing... to see if it is an option... On e wouldn’t have to implement theTx function, nessesarily, but to have. the capability available would greatly expand the advantages..... Hen to get on line you just need a Solid-state Linear Amp, to get to the output power level desired... 1watt, 10watts, 100Watts... a Full Gallon... you chose, what you need, and how to power it...

11. My 2 cents worth. Look into GMRS. Licensed now, no test. Interoperable with FRS H.T.'s. Of course H.T.'s wont have range though.

1. Qwertyportne
  2. Illini Warrior
  3. DKR
  4. JA40
  5. sdr
  6. Southbound
  7. SB21
  8. Bandit99
  9. sdr
  10. Bandit99
  11. DKR
  12. BTPost