Hi from NC Anyone seen or used this....

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Itchba, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

Hi guys. Been doing some reading here for a while and I still love this place! Lots of filling in on gaps of my self taught knowledge base. ☺

Now I found this researching a good large quantity water distillery. Anyone know anything about this?

Solar Cooker | Heliac

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

interesting, but doesn't look very sturdy...

3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Oddly, the company website touts thin film Fresnel lenses. Those might work well enough. That said, the website says nothing about the film reflector that the vid shows. Hm. I have some doubts about how the necessary curvature the reflector needs might be held.

4. smithcp2002

smithcp2002 Monkey+++

Great idea, that being said, a mylar bag and sheet tape and sticks will do the same thing.

Motomom34 likes this.
  5. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

If im thinking right isnt this like the flex of one of those cheap plastic cutting boards? Should hold the curve by the frame set up...right?

6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Seems like mylar would do pretty much the same thing.
    storage and handling to maintain the smoothness of the film are the bigger issue but all win all having frame can be made using the same rods and shock cord as tents use.
    Problem , unless there is a way to mechanically maintain the curvature ,wind is going to play havoc with that film.

7. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

The more I think about it , it's a concept worth playing with. .

8. Itchba

Itchba Monkey++

The solar cooker frame looks like it has a mirror to reflect the focus up to the pot. Am I thinking wrong when seem like this concentrates the been like a solar furnace?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7